The morality of being a soldier

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

Sokartawi
Crazy Karma Chameleon

Post by Sokartawi »

AAH! It lives again!
Well that's more than a bit selfish. You are saying life is a waste, in toher words it isn't worth living, because you can't just pack up and start a new country with people you like? I'll bet you right now there is plenty of real estate in the middle of the sahara and the arabian deserts no one wants, same with the mojave and a couple other palces. You seem to be just preaching down that it is so horrible that other people, who don't agree with your worldview, happen to live in places you would want to. Honestly this should be in the dictionary definition of selfish.
I referred to usable land, where we could be self-supporting. Yes we could move to the polar areas, but growing food there is quite hard. Only solution I found so far is hire a dredger, and make an artificial island outside territorial waters. Currently do not have enough participants and money, but it's something we can work on.
Well lets see here.

1) Did you ever ask this family if they were happy with the new floors/kitchen? If you did I bet you they told you yes.

2) Happiness is an experience...not a permanent thing. Perhaps I should reiterate this to you:
HAPPINESS IS NOT PERMANENT

3) Just because they had other problems (and being a person who suffers from clinical depression myself) does not mean they canot experience happiness. I myself have experienced many happy periods, some of them even while I was in Iraq despite smoking heavily and drinking anytime I could get my hands on alcohol. Most people would say the later two items idicate a problem but what was also true was my ability to experience happiness despite those problems.

4) If I had said "joy" instead of "happiness" would you still have brought me this diatribe?
Maybe because English does not have a word like the German "Gluck". This is the permanent form of happiness, something which money can't buy you. People nowadays think they can get it, but they get the non-permanent happiness instead, which tends to wear off quite fast, and then they'll need to buy another meaningless token to get their dose.
Lets get this straight, an enforced uniform for WORK makes life a waste?

Do you understand the concept that work is...WORK. You have to put effort and sometimes discomfort into it in order to recieve compensation and , hopefully, some reward. Do you not understand the concept of putting something in in order to get something out? I won't even get into how a great deal of jobs out there do not require a suit and tie (nor a dress). Hell being a Marine requries it only on ceremonial occasions and those are relatively rare actually. Anyway, there is no such thing as getting something for free, some work has to go into it and if you think life is a waste because you might wear slightly uncomfortable clothes to work then that is sad. Let me repeat my disbelief:

You are claiming that life is not worth living because of wearing discomforting clothes to certain jobs?
It's not about work, it's that society forces a rediculous dress code on people and discriminating those that do not comply. It's like forcing women to wear veils. No, I'm not the person that wants to have neon dreadlocks and all that stuff, although I see no reason why people couldn't do that if they want.
So do data processing, or become a SysAdmin, or do something related to computers. I again repeat that you have to put effort into the things you like and if you can find purpose and enjoyment with computers then by God (singualr and non-denominational) go hit that field because the outlook you gave of no purpose is really a sad story which, all hostility aside, would make me think you need a bear hug for comfort.
(...)
Well keep talking to them and ask them for a nice hug every now and then because of my disbelief in your position that life is worhtless you need it.
Well I already have a job related to computers, and it does not give me any kind of purpose. All it does is give me money in exchange for my suffering and my contribution to a society which I despise. And I do not want a hug since I dislike all forms of physical contact.

What would give me a purpose? Contributing to a different form of society, or changing this one.
Stubborn as ever - Let's hope it pays off this time.
Pcm979
Rabid Monkey

Post by Pcm979 »

Dear god, will someone put this thread down like the rabid animal it is?
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Pcm979 wrote:Dear god, will someone put this thread down like the rabid animal it is?
Well Wilkens is the last person to try. I feel he should get his try at reforming and then we can lock and perserve for posterity.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Trogdor
Sith Devotee

Post by Trogdor »

Wilkens will only wind up pounding his head against Sok's wall of ignorance like the rest of us did. Just lock it already.
"I want to mow down a bunch of motherfuckers with absurdly large weapons and relative impunity - preferably in and around a skyscraper. Then I want to fight a grim battle against the unlikely duo of the Terminator and Robocop. The last level should involve (but not be limited to) multiple robo-Hitlers and a gorillasaurus rex."--Uraniun235 on his ideal FPS game

"The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant compared to the power of the Force."--Darth Vader
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Trogdor wrote:Wilkens will only wind up pounding his head against Sok's wall of ignorance like the rest of us did. Just lock it already.
I second the motion!
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Enforcer Talen
Warlock

Post by Enforcer Talen »

didnt I ask about locking it around page 25?
This day is Fantastic!
Myers Briggs: ENTJ
Political Compass: -3/-6
DOOMer WoW
"I really hate it when the guy you were pegging as Mr. Worst Case starts saying, "Oh, I was wrong, it's going to be much worse." " - Adrian Laguna
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Technically this should died over 40 pages ago...but I'm letting Greg a bit of time to rebut because he's stated this is his only way he wants to do it and doesn't work well with PM and or AIM.

So please...let it die...he can rebut but going "Why isn't this dead?" is SPAMMING.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Ghost Rider wrote:Technically this should died over 40 pages ago...but I'm letting Greg a bit of time to rebut because he's stated this is his only way he wants to do it and doesn't work well with PM and or AIM.

So please...let it die...he can rebut but going "Why isn't this dead?" is SPAMMING.
Well tell you what, I could keep going but only posting on the weekends is going to start soliciting a LOT of those "why won't it die" attempts. In other words go ahead and lock it up, the debate has already moved so far from the original topic that it should have been split or locked long ago. So anyway go on ahead I'll lay down my sword on thi topic.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

And with that, it's locked.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."