Gays/Lesbians and Adoption

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

Gays/Lesbain Couples -- Should they be able to adopt?

Yes.
84%
No.
8%
Unsure/Don't Care.
8%

Total votes: 50

haas mark
Official SD.Net Insomniac

Post by haas mark »

ArthurDent wrote:
verilon wrote:Just because it has two parents from one sex does not mean that the child cannot learn from both sexes. That is why we have school, and relatives. Many teachers in a child's life are going to be of both sexes, so the child will learn how a person of the opposite sex of the parents will act and feel. There are also other children at the school...yet another learning opprtunity. Plus, we have FAMILIES, damn it. Aunts, uncles, grandparents, cousins. Interaction with family is a must.
There is more to learning than that. Indeed a child won't enter school until 4 or 5 years of age and on average they really won't spend all that much time with family outside of the nuclear unit. So really the entire foundation for their whole life and how they will relate to others is in those formative years in the home. If they are given the attention they need, and well deserve, they will be better prepared for when they do venture forth into the world.
You are quite the idiot.....How is this supposed to tell me that gays won't provide a supportive environment?
Again, are you banning technology? Invitro fertilization? Sperm donation? Condoms? Birth control? Tying of the fallopian tubes? What is your stance there? That is also "interrupting the natural reproductive scheme."
No, I'm not banning technology. In fact I have friends that have been trying for almost a decade to have kids. If technology can help them acheive that goal, great. But I am wary of using technology to supplant the natural order of things. Nature made us a certain way, I think it unwise to change it.
Yes, you are. You are telling me that gays won't go looking for a surrogate mother/sperm donor. Again, you manage to ignore the point.
If technology can help them acheive that goal, great...Nature made us a certain way, I think it unwise to change it.
In your own words, you tell me why gays should be allowed to have kids and asopt. Gays are not going to be able to change themselves....ever. SO tell me again why gays shouldn't be allowed to adopt.
Robert-Conway.com | lunar sun | TotalEnigma.net

Hot Pants à la Zaia | BotM Lord Monkey Mod OOK!
SDNC | WG | GDC | ACPATHNTDWATGODW | GALE | ISARMA | CotK: [mew]

Formerly verilon

R.I.P. Eddie Guerrero, 09 October 1967 - 13 November 2005

ArthurDent
Youngling

Post by ArthurDent »

IG-88E wrote:So if a gay couple provided that attention, why should they not be allowed to adopt?

Are you afraid everyone's going to become gay/bi or something?
I don't think that a gay couple could provide that foundation. Men and women have different perspectives on things. Science has proven that even use different parts of our brains to do similar things. Two men or two women can simply not provide that.

As for your question about technology, no, I don't think that everyone will become gay, or something. But I do have concerns about genetic manipulation. The ethical questions that arise are astounding and controversial, not to mention dangerous.
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

ArthurDent wrote:
IG-88E wrote:So if a gay couple provided that attention, why should they not be allowed to adopt?

Are you afraid everyone's going to become gay/bi or something?
I don't think that a gay couple could provide that foundation. Men and women have different perspectives on things. Science has proven that even use different parts of our brains to do similar things. Two men or two women can simply not provide that.

So what about single parents? After all there are plenty of health well adjusted people raised by a single parent.
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

ArthurDent wrote: I don't think that a gay couple could provide that foundation. Men and women have different perspectives on things. Science has proven that even use different parts of our brains to do similar things. Two men or two women can simply not provide that.
I accept your perspective to an extent, although I don't agree with it.
As for your question about technology, no, I don't think that everyone will become gay, or something. But I do have concerns about genetic manipulation. The ethical questions that arise are astounding and controversial, not to mention dangerous.
I don't think that's an issue here, unless some whacko starts turning people into hermaphrodites. :shock:
JADAFETWA
haas mark
Official SD.Net Insomniac

Post by haas mark »

ArthurDent wrote:
verilon wrote:If I may be so bold, you can think of homosexuals as "infertile." They just happen to be attracted to the same sex. Therefore, by YOUR logic, they should be able to adopt.
No, because they cannot provide the necessary foundation for a child during the formative years.
How so? It seems to me that a couple of gay couples have brought up well-adjusted kids. It is just the chidren of the narrow-minded idiots that taunt the children of gays, the children of the intolerable morons that tease the children of gays. But they are open-minded children, well-adjusted. What is your "requirement" for a "foundation"? If a "foundation" requires a family of parents of both sexes, then what have you to say about single-parent families? They are basically in the same position, and they are some of the most well-adjusted people I know.
Look, I'm not saying that gays are bad people or are evil. I just see, from my experience with my child, that children need a mother and a father so they can be rounded.
From your experience. What about those of us that are gay and might possibly want a child? You think that I would leave a perfectly happy relationship with a boyfriend, betray him, eve, to go marry some woman that I don't even love, for the sole purpose of procreating? YOu are beginning to be one arrofant little asshole, and an intolerable, bigoted one at that. And your experience doesn't count....it is the experience of those thatr grow up in a gay household. I'd like you to speak for them. But you can't can you? No, because you never had to be in that situation. I bet if you were, then you would have a very different opinion. But as we can see from the other thread, you are too unwilling to step into anybody else's shoes to even attempt to envision it.
Robert-Conway.com | lunar sun | TotalEnigma.net

Hot Pants à la Zaia | BotM Lord Monkey Mod OOK!
SDNC | WG | GDC | ACPATHNTDWATGODW | GALE | ISARMA | CotK: [mew]

Formerly verilon

R.I.P. Eddie Guerrero, 09 October 1967 - 13 November 2005

Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

How does the ability to reproduce matter. You would deny thousands of children a loving home. There are other ways of introducing a child to male/female role models. Like an Aunt or a neighbor. Not that that is really even needed at all. Go here:http://www.lethimstay.com To see what people like you are doing to a group of well rounded children.
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi
What Kind of Username is That?

Post by Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi »

I believe being raised by a gay couple may affect the child while growing up, but I'm not agianst gays adopting, if they can care for the child. Some may be even more caring than heterosexual parents.
BotM: Just another monkey|HAB
Bob McDob
Rabid Monkey

Post by Bob McDob »

verilon wrote:You are quite the idiot.....How is this supposed to tell me that gays won't provide a supportive environment?
Easy on the trigger finger, boy . . .
That's the wrong way to tickle Mary, that's the wrong way to kiss!
Don't you know that, over here lad, they like it best like this!
Hooray, pour les français! Farewell, Angleterre!
We didn't know how to tickle Mary, but we learnt how, over there!
Bob McDob
Rabid Monkey

Post by Bob McDob »

Frank Hipper wrote:Sometimes I think Vendetta's two different people. Es Arkajae is always a dick. :evil:
I prefer Es to Vendy, actually. At least there's a twisted consistancy in his arguments. Vendy seems like a caricature.
That's the wrong way to tickle Mary, that's the wrong way to kiss!
Don't you know that, over here lad, they like it best like this!
Hooray, pour les français! Farewell, Angleterre!
We didn't know how to tickle Mary, but we learnt how, over there!
Utsanomiko
The Legend Rado Tharadus

Post by Utsanomiko »

ArthurDent wrote:Men and women have different perspectives on things. Science has proven that even use different parts of our brains to do similar things. Two men or two women can simply not provide that.
Nonsense. In my experience, that only applies significantly in spineless, flaky yuppies who don't think any harder than the minimum that society provides. Granted, that's a majority of the population, but as for realpeople, minor physical/hormonal differences amount to nothing in a child's upbringing.

"Different perspectives" my ass. A child just needs a nurturing environment where they're taken care of properly and encouraged to learn, which can easilly be provided by two women or two men. "Perspectives"? Man, that's bullshit; something they make up so laypeople can get a quick answer to the qurstion of nature vs nurture. LOL, that cracks me up.
By His Word...