You and a Mission to Mars.

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

Knife
Emperor's Hand

You and a Mission to Mars.

Post by Knife »

Very well then, my challenge to you if you choose to accept is this:

With a budget of say $10 billion per year for 10 years, how would you go about putting a manned mission on Mars.

Using any off the self tech, or any currently in development.
Type of propulsion and or power source.
Any infrastructure you would have to put in place first.
How many would go and would it be perminant.
What would you do when you get there.

Note: budget is just so that one could do what he wanted without massive wasteful spending. Money can adjust so as your ideas can be brought to bare.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

First build a test Ion Drive of decent power
See if it works

Then

Build ten
Add something like the ISS (though something able to take the acceleration of course)
Fission reactor
Two way landers X3
Hydroponics bay
Large video collection.
Vhs
Books
SD.Net long range version (argh think of the time delay)
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Pu-239
Sith Marauder

Post by Pu-239 »

Nuclear rockets. For those who don't know, this involves heating hydrogen with a nuclear reactor then spitting it out a nozzle. Screw the treaties.

Have a satellite solely dedicated to entertainment- though there won't be time for the scientists to entertain themselves anyways.

Build in earth orbit, then launch using chemical rockets, then nuclear rockets to break orbit and accelerate.

ah.....the path to happiness is revision of dreams and not fulfillment... -SWPIGWANG
Sufficient Googling is indistinguishable from knowledge -somebody
Anything worth the cost of a missile, which can be located on the battlefield, will be shot at with missiles. If the US military is involved, then things, which are not worth the cost if a missile will also be shot at with missiles. -Sea Skimmer

George Bush makes freedom sound like a giant robot that breaks down a lot. -Darth Raptor
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Pu-239 wrote:Nuclear rockets. For those who don't know, this involves heating hydrogen with a nuclear reactor then spitting it out a nozzle. Screw the treaties.

Have a satellite solely dedicated to entertainment- though there won't be time for the scientists to entertain themselves anyways.

Build in earth orbit, then launch using chemical rockets, then nuclear rockets to break orbit and accelerate.
Is there a treaty against this?
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Pu-239
Sith Marauder

Post by Pu-239 »

yeah I think there is a treaty against nuclear devices in space

ah.....the path to happiness is revision of dreams and not fulfillment... -SWPIGWANG
Anything worth the cost of a missile, which can be located on the battlefield, will be shot at with missiles. If the US military is involved, then things, which are not worth the cost if a missile will also be shot at with missiles. -Sea Skimmer

George Bush makes freedom sound like a giant robot that breaks down a lot. -Darth Raptor
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

It falls under the nuclear test ban treaty.
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Exonerate
Sith Marauder

Post by Exonerate »

Hmm, sounds like one of our SpaceSet (A school club) scenarios. Last time, we went all the way to the nationals, and placed first place :D

BoTM, MM, HAB, JL
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

My rocket would actually be the worlds biggest ICBM and the launch pad a super hardened silo in Peru. I'd then use the threat of its deployment to demand a bigger budget to build a massive orbital ring. After that, I'd build a ship on the lines of what NASA has purposed, they know more about it then me.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
SWPIGWANG
Jedi Council Member

Post by SWPIGWANG »

Mars direct

nuff said
Frank Hipper
Overfiend of the Superego

Post by Frank Hipper »

I`d embezzle the money, then fake the mission like NASA did with the moonshots! :twisted:
Last edited by Frank Hipper on 2002-11-07 01:23pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life is all the eternity you get, use it wisely.
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

SWPIGWANG wrote:Mars direct

nuff said
Good enough for one or two trips, but what if you wanted to have a perminate preasence.

Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

Frank Hipper wrote:I`d embezle the money, then fake the mission like NASA did with the moonshots! :twisted:
Don't even joke about that. :evil:
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Enlightenment
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Enlightenment »

Knife wrote:Is there a treaty against this?
The nuclear test ban treaty forbids nuclear detonations in space. While the test ban treaty rules out the Orion drive AFIAK it doesn't prohibit nuclear propulsion drives that use reactors rather than nuclear bombs.

In today's (US) dollars, ten billion is nowhere near enough money for a Mars shot, particularly if NASA is going to be doing it. $100 billion is closer.
It's not my place in life to make people happy. Don't talk to me unless you're prepared to watch me slaughter cows you hold sacred. Don't talk to me unless you're prepared to have your basic assumptions challenged. If you want bunnies in light, talk to someone else.
Pu-239
Sith Marauder

Post by Pu-239 »

It is 100 billion, spread out over ten years though

Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi
What Kind of Username is That?

Post by Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi »

For propulsion, I'd use some nuclear engines, and there goes a few billion. Such a trip would take a year, so I'd probably build something large, with ample space and an "open" feel. Perhaps constructed in space, and with enough food, water, and recycling facilities to keep the crew sustained. Perhaps wedge a greenhouse in there. Then, for entertainment, have some sattelite provide cable TV, and movies. For permanent settlement, I'd a landing craft take the crew down, like in the Apollo missoins. The ship I'm looking at would be about as big as the ISS, and cost more.
BotM: Just another monkey|HAB
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

The Mars Fleet

Post by Patrick Degan »

Pu-239 wrote:Nuclear rockets. For those who don't know, this involves heating hydrogen with a nuclear reactor then spitting it out a nozzle. Screw the treaties.
I do believe you're talking about NERVA. It was a system they tested in the 60s and it was projected to be able to deliver twice the ISP of a Saturn V first-stage. Looked very promising. But it wasn't the Outer Space Treaty (1968) which killed NERVA but budget cuts. NERVA didn't violate the terms of the OST the way Orion did.
Actually, with NERVA, you wouldn't have to worry about radioactive byproduct from the drive. But ion drives would be better for a direct transit.

My own programme would follow somewhat upon the idea of first sending unmanned supply rockets to Mars, followed by unmanned craft which would deliver tanker rockets either to the Martian surface or one of the two moons to harvest water ice for fuel for the return trip. These would be followed by unmanned landing craft which would be programmed for Mars orbit. These could also be carrying out orbital surveys of the surface and provide updated data every day.

The second phase would obviously be the main mission —a fleet of manned craft (about six), crews of ten for each ship. The ships would be nuclear powered, with rotational sections providing 1/3rd gravity, and equipped with ion engines to make a direct transit feasible, which would cut the flight time to 180-270 days each way. The ships would rely on hydroponics for both food and oxygen replenishment in addition to on-board consummables.

The ships would be in close formation to allow for exchange of personnel, who would be rotated on a regular basis. In this way, cabin-fever would be somewhat allieviated, and recreational down-times of several days duration could be programmed into the mission profile. The extra personnel also provides a degree of redundancy to ensure that the mission succeeds in getting people to the surface to conduct a proper survey and takes possible losses of units into account.

In this way, a multistage mission effort would succeed with the least risk of physical and psychological degredation to the personnel involved, with resources on hand at the destination for the return trip, and could be executed within a two-year timeframe.

This idea is somewhat based upon a Mars-exploration concept developed by Wehrner VonBraun and Willy Ley for NASA in the late-50s. If you've ever seen Ink & Paint Club on Disney, you might have run across a film titled Mars And Beyond. The first half delves into a comical review of various ideas about the planets from previous centuries and includes a vicious but funny parody of the science fiction films of the period, then moves on to a more serious discussion about life on other planets before climaxing with a depiction of the VonBraun/Ley Mars mission (I believe the space artist Chestley Bonestell had some involvement in the prodution). But the mission concept was a rather farsighted one for the period and I think could be adaptable for a real mission to the Red Planet.
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Re: The Mars Fleet

Post by Knife »

Patrick Degan wrote:
I do believe you're talking about NERVA. It was a system they tested in the 60s and it was projected to be able to deliver twice the ISP of a Saturn V first-stage. Looked very promising. But it wasn't the Outer Space Treaty (1968) which killed NERVA but budget cuts. NERVA didn't violate the terms of the OST the way Orion did.
Actually, with NERVA, you wouldn't have to worry about radioactive byproduct from the drive. But ion drives would be better for a direct transit.

My own programme would follow somewhat upon the idea of first sending unmanned supply rockets to Mars, followed by unmanned craft which would deliver tanker rockets either to the Martian surface or one of the two moons to harvest water ice for fuel for the return trip. These would be followed by unmanned landing craft which would be programmed for Mars orbit. These could also be carrying out orbital surveys of the surface and provide updated data every day.

The second phase would obviously be the main mission —a fleet of manned craft (about six), crews of ten for each ship. The ships would be nuclear powered, with rotational sections providing 1/3rd gravity, and equipped with ion engines to make a direct transit feasible, which would cut the flight time to 180-270 days each way. The ships would rely on hydroponics for both food and oxygen replenishment in addition to on-board consummables.

The ships would be in close formation to allow for exchange of personnel, who would be rotated on a regular basis. In this way, cabin-fever would be somewhat allieviated, and recreational down-times of several days duration could be programmed into the mission profile. The extra personnel also provides a degree of redundancy to ensure that the mission succeeds in getting people to the surface to conduct a proper survey and takes possible losses of units into account.

In this way, a multistage mission effort would succeed with the least risk of physical and psychological degredation to the personnel involved, with resources on hand at the destination for the return trip, and could be executed within a two-year timeframe.

This idea is somewhat based upon a Mars-exploration concept developed by Wehrner VonBraun and Willy Ley for NASA in the late-50s. If you've ever seen Ink & Paint Club on Disney, you might have run across a film titled Mars And Beyond. The first half delves into a comical review of various ideas about the planets from previous centuries and includes a vicious but funny parody of the science fiction films of the period, then moves on to a more serious discussion about life on other planets before climaxing with a depiction of the VonBraun/Ley Mars mission (I believe the space artist Chestley Bonestell had some involvement in the prodution). But the mission concept was a rather farsighted one for the period and I think could be adaptable for a real mission to the Red Planet.
Sounds alot like Mars direct.

neoolong
Dead Sexy 'Shroom

Post by neoolong »

My idea, let it be known that with my billions I will be sending some very hot chicks on the long ride to Mars. Then I will let the lonely engineer build the ships necessary. Then I will send them in one with some KFC hot and spicy of course, while I load my ship with the hot chicks and fly to Mars.

Seriously, I would try to contract out and see what NASA would come up with. With that kind of bank roll they would probably be willing to come up with something better than what I could. Though, it may involve a stopover at the new base on the moon. Just cause I always wanted a personal moon base on the moon. Yes, moon bases are cool.

Okay, really ion drives seem the most feasible with a combo of dry food stuffs and some hydroponics. I would also have multiple ships specialized as crew areas, food storage, etc. These would of course be able to dock with each other and there would be multiples in the case of accident.
Member of the BotM. @( !.! )@
Pu-239
Sith Marauder

Post by Pu-239 »

Space travel should be privatized and commercialized

Enlightenment
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Enlightenment »

Pu-239 wrote:Space travel should be privatized and commercialized
The only reason space has not been developed commercially beyond GEO is a lack of economic incentive. Find some way to make a profit by doing X in space and sooner or later the capitalists will crawling over eachother to get a piece of the action.
It's not my place in life to make people happy. Don't talk to me unless you're prepared to watch me slaughter cows you hold sacred. Don't talk to me unless you're prepared to have your basic assumptions challenged. If you want bunnies in light, talk to someone else.