Favorite secular humanist thinkers

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

Carcharodon
Redshirt

Favorite secular humanist thinkers

Post by Carcharodon »

Since most of us here (I'm assuming, and correct me if I'm wrong) subscribe to this philosophy first and foremost, I'd like to pose a question. Which writer, leader, or thinker from the secular humanist tradition do you admire most, and why do you especially admire him or her?

My favorite is John Steinbeck. No writer was ever more concerned about the welfare of human beings. In 1962 he won the Nobel Prize for Literature. In his acceptance speech, Steinbeck said this:

"The ancient commission of the writer has not changed. He is charged with exposing our many grievous faults and failures, with dredging up to the light our dark and dangerous dreams for the purpose of improvement."

He also said, "It means very little to know that a million Chinese are starving unless you know one Chinese who is starving."

His character Jim Casey from The Grapes of Wrath personifies secular humanism more elegantly than any other literary creation I've ever come across. I also identify strongly with Steinbeck's passion for conservation and ecology. If Thoreau started the environmental movement in this country, it was Steinbeck who carried it forward when no one else would with Cannery Row. How unfortunate that it has descended into such nasty politicking in the past three or four decades.[/i][/b]
IDMR
Moderator Emeritus

Post by IDMR »

[Moderator warning]We will, of course, limit ourselves to the logical criticism of the philosophy, of course.[/Moderator warning]
"Intellectual rigor annoys people because it interferes with the pleasure they derive from allowing their wishes to be the fathers of their thoughts." - George F. Will

"If theory and reality diverges, change reality." - Josef Stalin
Mr. B
Jedi Knight

Post by Mr. B »

I always liked the existentialists.

Albert Camus and John Paul Sartre.
"I got so high last night I figured out how clouds work." - the miracle of marijuana

Legalize It!

Proud Member of the local 404 Professional Cynics Union.

"Every Revolution carries within it the seeds of its own destruction."-Dune
Nova Andromeda
Jedi Master

Nova's favorite secular humanists...

Post by Nova Andromeda »

--Well I'd say I like Mike Wong and Ellen Johnson the best for now. Mr. Wong for maintaining this site and not kowtowing to the idiots or powers of the world. Ms. Johnson for having the audacity to try and "herd cats" (i.e., leading and/or organizing atheists).
--Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with much secular humanist liturature to my knowledge. This means my ideas of morality, etc. have been formulated personally. During that process I've found the stuff I've been exposed to severly lacking and usually based on thin air. In the end my ideas have some resembalance to secular humanism, but are much more general and based on the equitable interaction of intelligent entities (where possible, otherwise it is simply a contest of power).
Nova Andromeda