Number of Gods in the world:

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Number of Gods in the world:

Post by MKSheppard »

Something I heard on the net:

By last count, since the start of recorded history, there have
been exactly 1,472 offical Gods identified.
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi
What Kind of Username is That?

Post by Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi »

How many religions were there?

Also, you have to consider different views and opinions on the same god.
BotM: Just another monkey|HAB
haas mark
Official SD.Net Insomniac

Post by haas mark »

I think that was his point, establishing all the gods form all the different religions

(PS: fyi, if you you use the word "God" in that context, it is lowercase, not capitalized)
Robert-Conway.com | lunar sun | TotalEnigma.net

Hot Pants à la Zaia | BotM Lord Monkey Mod OOK!
SDNC | WG | GDC | ACPATHNTDWATGODW | GALE | ISARMA | CotK: [mew]

Formerly verilon

R.I.P. Eddie Guerrero, 09 October 1967 - 13 November 2005

Utsanomiko
The Legend Rado Tharadus

Post by Utsanomiko »

"But mine is the real one!", spoke 1,472 children :wink:

That is alot, I must admit. I'd love to know their sources and parameters for defining separate gods.
By His Word...
haas mark

Post by haas mark »

One must realize that some of these gods come form poyltheistic religions...such as Hiduism, paganism, American Indian religions, etc....

Formerly verilon

neoolong
Dead Sexy 'Shroom

Post by neoolong »

Are different forms of the same god also included? Like is God from Christianity counted differently from the God of Catholicism?
Member of the BotM. @( !.! )@
haas mark

Post by haas mark »

Catholicism came first, so Christianity's God IS Catholicism's God.

Formerly verilon

neoolong
Dead Sexy 'Shroom

Post by neoolong »

verilon wrote:Catholicism came first, so Christianity's God IS Catholicism's God.
I know, I'm just wondering if it's counted as one or two deities, since some religions have different views on the same deity.
haas mark

Post by haas mark »

Yeh...but all Christians believe in the same God...or so they say...but in that instance, they'd be believing in the JEWISH God, becuase he came first!

Formerly verilon

neoolong
Dead Sexy 'Shroom

Post by neoolong »

verilon wrote:Yeh...but all Christians believe in the same God...or so they say...but in that instance, they'd be believing in the JEWISH God, becuase he came first!
I know all that. I'm just wondering if for the purposes of the survey God is counted more than once in order to boost the final count. I doubt it though, but I'm just wondering.
haas mark

Post by haas mark »

neoolong wrote:
verilon wrote:Yeh...but all Christians believe in the same God...or so they say...but in that instance, they'd be believing in the JEWISH God, becuase he came first!
I know all that. I'm just wondering if for the purposes of the survey God is counted more than once in order to boost the final count. I doubt it though, but I'm just wondering.
Maybe, maybe not. But I would assume that number may almost double, if it did.

Formerly verilon

Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

Hinduism, if you view it as a polytheistic religion, is supposed to have thousands of gods.

BoTM / JL / MM / HAB / VRWC / Horseman

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
Frank Hipper
Overfiend of the Superego

Post by Frank Hipper »

I`ve read that there were nearly 1500 Aztec gods. A lot of those would have been different aspects of the same critter, though.
Life is all the eternity you get, use it wisely.
Utsanomiko
The Legend Rado Tharadus

Post by Utsanomiko »

Actually, modern scholars have determined that Yahweh originates from Canaanite mythology, so technically all Christians and Jews believe in a violently jealous mountain god.
By His Word...
Newtonian Fury
Padawan Learner

Post by Newtonian Fury »

Gods are stupid. Now wonder so many of them are dead right now! When people realize that they don't need masters to slave over, divinity started falling apart.
master_yoda
Rabid Monkey

Post by master_yoda »

Apparently theres 350 million gods, in buddhas (sp) alone. some much for the 1,472 figure.
Brotherhood of the Monkey
kojikun
BANNED

Post by kojikun »

Technically, Hinduism has as many as a few tens of MILLIONS of gods. many ancient religions have an insane number of gods.

Master Yoda, buddhism has no gods, buddhism is an atheist "religion" as said by buddha himself.
Sì! Abbiamo un' anima! Ma è fatta di tanti piccoli robot.
Durandal
Bile-Driven Hate Machine

Post by Durandal »

Hinduism has upward of 300 million gods, if memory serves. I think that whoever was doing the research may have miscounted.
Damien Sorresso

"Ever see what them computa bitchez do to numbas? It ain't natural. Numbas ain't supposed to be code, they supposed to quantify shit."
- The Onion
Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi
What Kind of Username is That?

Post by Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi »

Perhaps by that 1,472 figure, they mean number of religions throught history. Of course, there could have been many smaller, unrecorded sects, and the number could exclude different branches and views of a religion.
BotM: Just another monkey|HAB
Singular Quartet
Sith Marauder

Post by Singular Quartet »

Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi wrote:Perhaps by that 1,472 figure, they mean number of religions throught history. Of course, there could have been many smaller, unrecorded sects, and the number could exclude different branches and views of a religion.
Try christian denominations. And I might not actually be kidding, either.
Peregrin Toker
Emperor's Hand

Post by Peregrin Toker »

Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi wrote:Perhaps by that 1,472 figure, they mean number of religions throught history. Of course, there could have been many smaller, unrecorded sects, and the number could exclude different branches and views of a religion.
I think it's that which he refers to. By the way, many people who study ancient religions, divide deities into archetypes rather than particular deities..... (Marija Gimbutas and Robert Graves do, at least, but I'm 100% sure that they're not the only ones.)
"Hi there, would you like to have a cookie?"

"No, actually I would HATE to have a cookie, you vapid waste of inedible flesh!"
The Dark
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Dark »

The traditional answer in Hinduism as to how many gods there are is 330 million, in the Vedas (old Vedas, not the Vedas as the entire Hindu religious writings). In the Upanishads, it focuses on three deities (Brahma, Vishnu, and Siva), who are the main reflections of the one true reality Brahmin. I think the 1,472 are those given specific names in religions.

By the way, Yahweh isn't a Canaanite name. It originates in Hebrew originally not using vowels, and the phrase "I am who I am" in Exodus is written YHWH, which has multiple interpretations (thus Yahweh and Jehovah, both possible interpretations). The Canaanite "God of the Mountain" was El-Shaddai, a title which is used in the Old Testament to refer to the Hebrew deity (along with Elohim ["Lord"], El-Elyon ["Most High God"], El-Olam ["Everlasting God"], and other name/titles).
Stanley Hauerwas wrote:[W]hy is it that no one is angry at the inequality of income in this country? I mean, the inequality of income is unbelievable. Unbelievable. Why isn’t that ever an issue of politics? Because you don’t live in a democracy. You live in a plutocracy. Money rules.
BattleTech for SilCore
Utsanomiko
The Legend Rado Tharadus

Post by Utsanomiko »

By the way, Yahweh isn't a Canaanite name. It originates in Hebrew originally not using vowels, and the phrase "I am who I am" in Exodus is written YHWH, which has multiple interpretations (thus Yahweh and Jehovah, both possible interpretations). The Canaanite "God of the Mountain" was El-Shaddai, a title which is used in the Old Testament to refer to the Hebrew deity (along with Elohim ["Lord"], El-Elyon ["Most High God"], El-Olam ["Everlasting God"], and other name/titles).
I already knew about the name, I didn't say Yahweh was his original name.

El-Shaddai, otoh, I haven't heard. Do you have a source for that? Never would have thought his Jewish titles resembled his Canaanite name (or is that merely coincidental? There was also El, or Bull-El in Canaanite myth. Has that anything to do with the 'El' in El-Shaddai, Alohim, etc?).
By His Word...
Tosho
Rabid Monkey

Post by Tosho »

kojikun wrote:Master Yoda, buddhism has no gods, buddhism is an atheist "religion" as said by buddha himself.
Actually if I remember correctly the Buddha was silent on the subject of dieties.
Sun Sep 07, 2003 3:45 pm 666th post.
Tosho
Rabid Monkey

Post by Tosho »

kojikun wrote:Master Yoda, buddhism has no gods, buddhism is an atheist "religion" as said by buddha himself.
Actually if I remember correctly the Buddha was silent on the subject of dieties.
Sun Sep 07, 2003 3:45 pm 666th post.