The Perfect Soldier/Army

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

GoldenFalcon
Jedi Knight
Location: Busy practicing with a bokken, come near me and I'll whack you with it.

The Perfect Soldier/Army

Post by GoldenFalcon »

Ok, long story in a nutshell, I'm writing a novel on an alien race. Don't really want to go into much more detail other than that. ;)

Now that my reason has been stated, what (tactics/weapons/utilities/etc) would constitute a soldier (plus an army) that would make the USMC look like utter idiots? I pretty much know the basics on how to avoid being a redshirt, but I'd like to take a few suggestions from the rest of ya given you all can tell what makes an army suckage. I'm also trying to avoid using fancy technology to compensate for tactic loopholes.
Babylon 5: In the Beginning quote:

General Lefcourt: "My people can handle themselves. We took care of the Dilgar. We can take care of the Minbari."
Londo Mollari: "Ahh, arrogance and stupidity all in the same package. How efficient of you."

Coming soon: Firebird Productions
Montcalm
Emperor's Hand

Post by Montcalm »

For weapons avoid these quantum torpedoes and other trek tech,stick with missiles and lasers or ordinary guns.
Jerry Orbach 1935 2004
Admiral Valdemar~You know you've fucked up when Wacky Races has more realistic looking vehicles than your own.
GoldenFalcon
Jedi Knight
Location: Busy practicing with a bokken, come near me and I'll whack you with it.

Post by GoldenFalcon »

Montcalm wrote:For weapons avoid these quantum torpedoes and other trek tech,stick with missiles and lasers or ordinary guns.
Ah no worries, I don't plan on having quantum subspace wavelength disruptors in my story.

General Lefcourt: "My people can handle themselves. We took care of the Dilgar. We can take care of the Minbari."
Londo Mollari: "Ahh, arrogance and stupidity all in the same package. How efficient of you."

RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

Super soldiers are brain bugs. You could spend five years training and conditioning the perfect soldier, equip him with the best weapons and gadgets money can buy, spend tens of millions of dollars doing this, all to have him die ffive minutes into his first battle from a shell fragment. Special forces units excepted, above a certain level of training and you'll run into the law of diminishing returns--it's not worth the investment for a regular grunt.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

If you want "super" shocktroops, have them be evolved from a pack-oriented species. The soldiers are deployed in squads or packs, with each pack being made of brothers who were born and raised together, giving them an eerie amount of teamwork and efficiency.

That's about as good as you can do.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Seggybop
Jedi Council Member

Post by Seggybop »

I don't think he meant for a description of a single ubersoldier... more like a plan for an entire military with extremely good tactics/equipment.
my heart is a shell of depleted uranium
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Seggybop wrote:I don't think he meant for a description of a single ubersoldier... more like a plan for an entire military with extremely good tactics/equipment.
Still a brain bug.

You can make the soliders into literally supreme warriors with a tactical genius unrivalled and the trillions you have spent can still be destroyed by cheaper hardware.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Robert Walper
Dishonest Resident Borg Fan-Whore

Post by Robert Walper »

What about making the troops artificial ones? The armies of Skynet (most noteably the T-800s and T-1000s) always struck me as a deadly potential force. Intelligent, versatile, no fear, difficult to kill, mass produced. My two cents anyhow.
Aaron
Blackpowder Man

The Future

Post by Aaron »

Robert Walper wrote:What about making the troops artificial ones? The armies of Skynet (most noteably the T-800s and T-1000s) always struck me as a deadly potential force. Intelligent, versatile, no fear, difficult to kill, mass produced. My two cents anyhow.
That actually seems to be the future plan for the US military. They are trying to replace as many people as they can with UAV's, robots etc.
M1891/30: A bad day on the range is better then a good day at work.
justifier
Rabid Monkey

Post by justifier »

Well if its an alien race, the best idea is to look to nature.
1. Natural nightvision, like owls...seven foot tall gun wielding owls.
2. Ablity to smell enemies
3. Ability to go into deep hibernation for decades
KILL BILL and The Punisher coming APRIL 16!
Tom_Aurum
Padawan Learner

Post by Tom_Aurum »

Shouldn't this be in the fanfics section?
Please kids, don't drink and park: Accidents cause people!
RedX
Youngling

Post by RedX »

It's not a brainbug to have a more advanced army. In this case, we're not talking about humans spending $$$$$ on a handful of ubersoldiers; we're talking about these alien's basic grunts. To them, they're just normal/moderately elite soldiers; to us, they make the USMC look like fools.

That settled...
(Note that all the below is my opinion only.)
Generally, future combat should be about speed and precision. Why waste rounds against an inferior opponent when you can pick out individual nose hairs from three kilometers and shoot them off while running fifty miles an hour? Individual troopers should be fast, professional troops that move in close-knit teams and react as a whole within milliseconds to any change in the situation. Give them powered armor, near-perfect stealth systems, and overpowering weapons (try really, really fast projectiles and/or high-intensity lasers). Make them so fast they can hit a USMC platoon and kill every member within seconds, then dissapear.

As for tanks, a simple low-slung block of Impenetrable Armor with one really, really big gun should do it. For flavor, toss in energy screens, hover capabilities, and/or (if you're really feeling nasty) near-perfect Point Defense that fries anything that goes over the horizon.

As far as the rest of the army goes, it's all about the orbitals. Note that from space, one can basically see anything and drop rocks on anything. If co-ordination is good enough, you can have individual infantrymen calling down c-fractional kinetic strikes whenever he feels he needs to.

Finally, and I re-iterate, Speed and Shock power are the keys. Hit hard, suddenly, from nowhere and with no warning. Target command areas, rally points, even individual officers. Cut them up, given them nothing to hang on to, then surround them at your leasure and call for surrender or annihilate them as the whim strikes you.
~Here at Orbital Artillery Command, some people say we think we're God. We're not god; we just borrowed his 'smite' button.~
Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

Robert Walper wrote:What about making the troops artificial ones? The armies of Skynet (most noteably the T-800s and T-1000s) always struck me as a deadly potential force. Intelligent, versatile, no fear, difficult to kill, mass produced. My two cents anyhow.
Robots are good for many things such as a mobile fire support unit. But unless they have very advanced AI they will not be autonomous enough to replace human soldiers.
I have to tell you something everything I wrote above is a lie.
Robert Walper
Dishonest Resident Borg Fan-Whore

Post by Robert Walper »

evilcat4000 wrote:
Robots are good for many things such as a mobile fire support unit. But unless they have very advanced AI they will not be autonomous enough to replace human soldiers.
Hence my usage of the term "intelligent".
GoldenFalcon
Jedi Knight

Post by GoldenFalcon »

Seggybop wrote:I don't think he meant for a description of a single ubersoldier... more like a plan for an entire military with extremely good tactics/equipment.
Yeah that's it, things in relation to the army and its individual soldiers.
It's not a brainbug to have a more advanced army. In this case, we're not talking about humans spending $$$$$ on a handful of ubersoldiers; we're talking about these alien's basic grunts. To them, they're just normal/moderately elite soldiers; to us, they make the USMC look like fools.
I'm aiming for their normal, basic training to outmatch anything we'd have on Earth. Since they're more advanced, it should be logical to assume that their military would grow with that advancement.

Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

You will have to take a look at not only the threat forces of your universe but the friendly forces too. As well as the economical and industial base and exactly what kind of tech you have on any various types of tech.

There is just too many factors to give you any help at this point. It is always a balencing act, reference the advice you have already gotten, between money and equipment/training.

Some of the factors you want to think on;

type of small arms. Small unit tactics would be WAY different with energy based weapons as opposed to bullets. Also, armor or defensive gear will weigh troops down and tactics would change.

amount of troops or insert/extract methods. How you envision that troops would normally be delievered to a battle field. Everything from troop ships to drop ships to battlefield transports.

What would the troops be expecting to go up against?
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Ghost Rider wrote: Still a brain bug.

You can make the soliders into literally supreme warriors with a tactical genius unrivalled and the trillions you have spent can still be destroyed by cheaper hardware.
Indeed, and artillery fire has had a pesky habit of causing about half the casualties an army suffers. No amount of training is going to have any noteworthy effect on the ability of soldiers to drop flat. Large wars you need armies for call for good infantry, not highly trained hand picked commandos.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
SWPIGWANG
Jedi Council Member

Post by SWPIGWANG »

What an good army is build upon is dependent upon the strategic role first, and technology second.

If the goal is simply destruction, the best grunt would probably be an bomb of some sort with propulsion or something...... heh

But sticking with the basic idea of "grunts" for defense and such, there is still alot of leeway.

Alien grunts makes no sense unless we know what the aliens are. Aliens the size of ants or the size of elephants would live in different environments and have completely different requirements for "grunts". After all, human sized units are not good at fighting ants. Aliens that live on gas giants, under ground or neutron starts would obviously not have anything resembling grunts we normally think of. The structure of the aliens would also mean different requirements. For an hivemind with an variety of cheap and disposible creatures at disposal (think: breaking a nail) or an highly individualistic society where it is every alien for themselves would result in completely different force structure.

But really if we are talking about destruction, it is always about bigger bombs with faster and more accurate delievery on the planetside, and lazers or something like that in space or other suitable environments.

Secondly, one can not make an competent army look "stupid" with different tactics and technology as any army is build to counter known threats. It is only if an army can not cope an threat that is reasonablely knowable and counterable can such an army be said to be stupid.

But since this is probably another space opera we are talking about, I'll assume that the aliens are human-like in every sense of the word in lifecycle, size, agility and such, with variation within one magnitude and homogeneous to boot.

Than, what we are looking at is the maximum combat power for minimum sociological cost. (since economics is dependent on the mind behind it) We'll assume that aliens are individualistic with an sense of self preservation so that combat losses would mean something so that efficiency wouldn't look something like a zerg swarm. Note that zerg swarm is terrible efficient in what it is designed to do with the resources it has, but we wouldn't consider it "elite" anyway. If that is the case, than the most probable loop out is to automate everything so the individual would not be at risk. So what we end up with is lots of robots, and no "grunt" to die.

So in the end, "elite grunts" only make sense in an narrow technological, social and physical environment.
SWPIGWANG
Jedi Council Member

Post by SWPIGWANG »

OMG, I just realized how incoherent that last post was....

I want edit button :(
MarkIX
Padawan Learner

Post by MarkIX »

SWPIGWANG wrote:OMG, I just realized how incoherent that last post was....

I want edit button :(
Seem fine to me, but you should see some of my posts :wink:
Another point is if you are invading Earth why fight the Marines at all, you could just sya to the political leaders "I have big rocks to drop on you if you don't tell the Marines to do what I want" if they didn't a couple of rock later they would be replaced by somebody who would
You can judge the character of a person by what they fear
Xon
Sith Acolyte

Post by Xon »

RedX wrote:Finally, and I re-iterate, Speed and Shock power are the keys. Hit hard, suddenly, from nowhere and with no warning. Target command areas, rally points, even individual officers. Cut them up, given them nothing to hang on to, then surround them at your leasure and call for surrender or annihilate them as the whim strikes you.
This is really what you need for a 'super' army.
"Okay, I'll have the truth with a side order of clarity." ~ Dr. Daniel Jackson.
"Reality has a well-known liberal bias." ~ Stephen Colbert
"One Drive, One Partition, the One True Path" ~ ars technica forums - warrens - on hhd partitioning schemes.
Thirdfain
The Player of Games
Location: Never underestimate the staggering drawing power of the Garden State.

Post by Thirdfain »

In the STGOD, my soldiers were all conditioned (like a Sukh doctor from Dune,) with a set of combat-based morals called "New Bushido." It essentially made the soldiers obedient and team-focused, while allowing them a great deal of freedom to think on their feet should teh shit hit the fan- all the while rendering them incapable of being panicked or frightened. A neural command-net linking all of them, giving them excellent communications at the squad level, essentially made them badass soldiers without even mentioning their armament and defenses.

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite.
John Kenneth Galbraith (1908 - )
Ravenwing
Padawan Learner

Post by Ravenwing »

for ahsort of highly evolved type, id say dont go in for a sort of race built like atank casue if its a race used to technology, thry would obviously be a bit more fragile (humans are a point to this one)but give them some sort of battle armour thats enhances them to a level that can become like a tank but also gives speed. but for a more origional edge, a projectile weopen rather than a laser one would enhance, its hard to shield yourself from a barrage of actual bullets rather than just a shielding box that you hiope doesnt break until your done killing everyone.
Image"Iv got little devils running round the place eating socks and pencils, earlier tonight we sobered up someone who thinks hes a god of hangovers and half my wizards are trying to cheer up the cheerful fairy." -Terry pratchett, the hogfather
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

The biggest problem with every super solider type...is cheaper hardware will still kill them.

Thirdfain's approach while a bit excessive at least covers the basic need of a well rounded soldier...adding in armor, super rifles that can destroy skyscrapers, etc becomes sci-fi insanity/wankery and a complete disregard of military knowledge
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Sam Or I
Jedi Council Member

Post by Sam Or I »

Personally what comes to mind are Spartans.