Creationism vs. Evolution thread at theForce.net

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

Durandal
Bile-Driven Hate Machine

Post by Durandal »

What you are refering to is a cult, hardly representative of Christianity, even the Fundamentalists.

It is however, equal to JW.
Um ... what do you think Christianity is?

A CULT!

Think about it. They get together once a week to eat their savior's flesh and drink his blood, as well as to give money to their particular little sect. While cults don't necessarily have to include fucked-up rituals, Christianity certainly has them. Ever hear a Roman Catholic congregation chant the Our Father? One, giant, cultish, Borg-like voice chanting in complete, drugged discord.
Damien Sorresso

"Ever see what them computa bitchez do to numbas? It ain't natural. Numbas ain't supposed to be code, they supposed to quantify shit."
- The Onion
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Cults-Little unpopluar religions

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Durandal wrote:
What you are refering to is a cult, hardly representative of Christianity, even the Fundamentalists.

A CULT!

Think about it. They get together once a week to eat their savior's flesh and drink his blood, as well as to give money to their particular little sect. While cults don't necessarily have to include fucked-up rituals, Christianity certainly has them. Ever hear a Roman Catholic congregation chant the Our Father? One, giant, cultish, Borg-like voice chanting in complete, drugged discord.
:lol: That reminds me of some of my Religous Studies classes in college. The professor was constantly mention cultic practices and people were always getting hung up on what the term means in modern terminology. Basically, the way he was using it it refered to any religious practice but mostly when in groups performing rituals.

The kicker, and the main reason people were always arguing with him, was that the class was about the History & Religion of Ancient Israel. :D
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Nick
Jedi Knight

Post by Nick »

Durandal wrote:

A CULT!

I remember one time at a faith study group, my mind drifted off to something else and I completely lost track of where we were up to in the prayer - and the part of my brain which was still paying attention to my mouth decided to start saying a different prayer instead. . .

Random side note: the priest who ran that particular prayer group did a brilliant parody of 'speaking in tongues' (He splits the group up into three parts, and gets each of them to start making a particular silly noise - put all three parts together, and you get something which sounds amusingly like 'speaking in tongues' some of the more evangelical branches of Christianity are so proud of. You can get the same effect if you deliberately shut down the grammatical portion of your brain - the bit that constructs proper sentences - and just let the raw generated syllables through).
"People should buy our toaster because it toasts bread the best, not because it has the only plug that fits in the outlet" - Robert Morris, Almaden Research Center (IBM)

"If you have any faith in the human race you have too much." - Enlightenment
Nick
Jedi Knight

Post by Nick »

Durandal wrote:Ever hear a Roman Catholic congregation chant the Our Father? One, giant, cultish, Borg-like voice chanting in complete, drugged discord.
The Our Father isn't the best bit - because most of the congregation could actually recite that when alone, as well. The best bit is the Apostles' Creed (aka the Nicaean Creed) - because most people, outside of Mass, don't know the words, but they can recite it perfectly well in lockstep with the rest of the congregation.

FWIW (I couldn't remember it, so I had to look it up!):
Council of Nicaea wrote: We believe in one God, the Father, the Almighty,
Maker of heaven and earth,
of all that is, seen and unseen.

We believe in one Lord, Jesus Christ,
the only Son of God,
eternally begotten of the Father,
God from God, Light from Light,
true God from true God,
begotten, not made, one in Being with the Father.

Through him all things were made.

For us men and for our salvation he came down from heaven:
by the power of the Holy Spirit he was born of the Virgin Mary,
and became man.

For our sake he was crucified under Pontius Pilate;
he suffered, died and was buried.

On the third day he rose again in fulfilment of the Scriptures;
he ascended into heaven
and is seated at the right hand of the Father.

He will come again in glory to judge the living and the dead,
and his kingdom will have no end.

We believe in the Holy Spirit, the Lord, the giver of life,
who proceeds from the Father and the Son.
With the Father and the Son he is worshipped and glorified.
He has spoken through the Prophets.

We believe in one holy catholic and apostolic Church.
We acknowledge one baptism for the forgiveness of sins.
We look for the resurrection of the dead,
and the life of the world to come. Amen.
"People should buy our toaster because it toasts bread the best, not because it has the only plug that fits in the outlet" - Robert Morris, Almaden Research Center (IBM)

"If you have any faith in the human race you have too much." - Enlightenment
Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi
What Kind of Username is That?

Post by Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi »

Lagmonster wrote:
Enlightenment wrote:Creationists make up around 44% of the US population. They're not going on the offensive; they have simply always been here.

Source:
http://abcnews.go.com/sections/science/ ... 90816.html
It won't seem like much to any of you, but I actually ground my teeth while reading that news story. Whether it's true or made-up statistics, the THOUGHT of that story being true made me grind my teeth. I NEVER grind my goddamn teeth. That is, ladies and gents, pure off In A Can.
That's scary. I'm not talking about you grinding your teeth, I'm talking about the report. Of course, such results are to be expected, as fundie influence is stronger in America, and many people do not understand evolution. The "Creation Science" movement must be very proud of themselves. Scientists need to get together and speak out agianst these people.

As for the report, they should have had individual results for each section of the country, as I'm expecting Creationsts to be more common in some parts of the country.

As for the part where it says that "One-third of Americans surveyed say the Bible is the literal word of God" :shock: . Of course, the other two-thirds actually read the Bible!
BotM: Just another monkey|HAB