Morality in a tale I'm telling...

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

Bug-Eyed Earl
Jedi Master

Morality in a tale I'm telling...

Post by Bug-Eyed Earl »

I sent Darth Wong a provate message- basically, with all of his entertaining and insightful thoughts on the federation in ST, I thought he could give me his thoughts on a story idea I've bveen working on for a few years.

I put this topic here for three reasons:

There is a potential here for complaints about howthis society in my story is run; I want another insigt into the morality of the story.

It is not in fanfics because it is an original work.

It is not in "Other Sci-fi" because it hasn't been published or produced yet.

I am used to positive feedback about my work from my family and friends. I have to face the facts that people that I know who I tell my ideas to are easily impressed because most aren't that artistic themselves; I need a more insightful opinion. so if anyone would like to volunteer to analyze it, feel free, and I'll forward you the PM. I don't want to post it because I'm an optimist; I don't want to spoil the story for you if it ever gets published or produced. You have to have a level of optimism to stay sane if your ambitions are towards writing and acting.

Anyway, thanks in advance to anyone who volunteers(Maybe I'm TOO optimistic in this case). I will most likely choose 2 or 3, assuming I get that many people willing to read.
Utsanomiko
The Legend Rado Tharadus

Post by Utsanomiko »

Not to sound pessimistic, but considering how few people read this board, the likelyhood of your story actually getting published, and your familiarity with criticism, it probably wouldn't hurt you to post it right here or in the Other Sci-Fi forum (I know Spanky the Dolphin posted some info on his sci-fi setting, though i don't think he plans to publish it).

Personally, I'd think it'd be great to be able to have a treatment up on the board to comment on and add to. Knowing that they might be contributing to an eventually puplished work, I think alot of people would be willing to 'spoil' it for the good of the piece.

As an aspiring game designer, I can kind've relate to the feeling. But I don't think it's 'optimism' that one needs for sanity so much as 'paranoia'. :wink: I've got about 10-12 game synopses that I'd love to post up and get feedback, but I've got that feeling of paranoia that I'll see some game using my ideas getting published first (I still say Blizzard stole my idea for RTS subgrouping), but there's some fear of criticism there, too.

The main thing to remember is, this is a Sci-Fi discussion board. Nobody's here to steal game concepts, spoil future novels, or beat ideas into the ground. We discuss stuff. And I think this is probably the best place for writers to get feedback on their work. No creative piece is perfect. It either sucks or has room to suck less. :wink: Criticism never hurts in the end; even if it adds nothing, it can always give you a sense of perspective. You might want to hear if Mike Wong has any judgement on it beforehand, though. But I don't see much harm in posting stuff like that, regardless.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to make sure that upcoming MMORPGs don't resemble mine...
By His Word...
Wicked Pilot
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Wicked Pilot »

We do have a fanfic forum here. It probably exist for a reason too.
The most basic assumption about the world is that it does not contradict itself.
Bug-Eyed Earl
Jedi Master

Post by Bug-Eyed Earl »

It is not in fanfics because it is an original work
We do have a fanfic forum here. It probably exist for a reason too.

And there you go.
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

Why should that stop you from posting it in there?

I say go ahead. I plan to post this short story I did about three years ago sometime, anyway.
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"