Will the sun explode in 6 years?!?

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

Ah, so Weekly World News is satire. That fact has suddenly made a lot of things make sense.
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Raoul Duke, Jr.
BANNED

Post by Raoul Duke, Jr. »

I ran a quick scan of Google regarding "Piers Van der Meer" and primarily the only thing it sent back were various versions of this article... and something about "Satan's Excrement." I might look into that later. :P
taz
Redshirt

The Sun

Post by taz »

Won't matter even if it does, 'cos we ain't gonna feel it are we?

"Given the choice, whether to rule a corrupt and failing Empire, or to challenge the fates for another throw, a better throw against one's destiny, what was a king to do?

But does one ever truly have a choice. One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate, and thus defy the tyrannous stars" - Kain

StarshipTitanic
Sith Marauder

Re: The Sun

Post by StarshipTitanic »

taz wrote:Won't matter even if it does, 'cos we ain't gonna feel it are we?
Um...

No, he' s just joking...
"Man's unfailing capacity to believe what he prefers to be true rather than what the evidence shows to be likely and possible has always astounded me...God has not been proven not to exist, therefore he must exist." -- Academician Prokhor Zakharov

"Hal grabs life by the balls and doesn't let you do that [to] hal."

"I hereby declare myself master of the known world."
Kamakazie Sith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Kamakazie Sith »

:lol: This is great stuff........

Anyone also heard of the asteroid that is suppose to pass by the Earth from around 10 million KM and cause catastrophic changes to the Earths environment?

Lets hear some more! I find this to be entertaining. :P
Milites Astrum Exterminans
magice
Redshirt

Post by magice »

The theory of an explosion of the sun is both absurd and childish. So some jerk wants to scare you with a posting on yahoo. Ok... well let me tell you that the sky is going to turn green, and the great oceans are going to turn into pudding within 3 years. Do you wanna post a question on that?
Don't waste your time, its not gonna explode for a projected 50 BILLION years-do some real research.
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

That's five billion, not fifty.

Do you know how infinately long fifty billion years is?

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

Raoul Duke, Jr.
BANNED

Kamakazie Sith wrote::lol: This is great stuff........

Anyone also heard of the asteroid that is suppose to pass by the Earth from around 10 million KM and cause catastrophic changes to the Earths environment?

Maybe when the sun explodes it'll just wipe out that asteroid for us. :)
XaLEv
Lore Monkey

Post by XaLEv »

Spanky The Dolphin wrote:That's five billion, not fifty.

Not very, since it's only fifty billion.
「かかっ―」
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Spanky, calm down. Magice is a guy across the hall from me, and he hit "0" by accident.
JADAFETWA
Raoul Duke, Jr.
BANNED

magice wrote:The theory of an explosion of the sun is both absurd and childish. So some jerk wants to scare you with a posting on yahoo. Ok... well let me tell you that the sky is going to turn green, and the great oceans are going to turn into pudding within 3 years. Do you wanna post a question on that?
Don't waste your time, its not gonna explode for a projected 50 BILLION years-do some real research.
What flavor of pudding? 'Cause if you say tapioca, I'm gonna be really upset.
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

IG-88E wrote:

Spanky, calm down. Magice is a guy across the hall from me, and he hit "0" by accident.
I'm not mad or anything, so stop telling me to calm down. If I said it with excamaition points, you'd have something.

Plus, I posted that almost 12 hours ago.

XaLEv: compared to 5 billion, 50 billion years is practially infinately long. Especially for the sequence of a star.

Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Spanky The Dolphin wrote: I'm not mad or anything, so stop telling me to calm down. If I said it with excamaition points, you'd have something.

Plus, I posted that almost 12 hours ago.

XaLEv: compared to 5 billion, 50 billion years is practially infinately long. Especially for the sequence of a star.
I don't know man, sometimes you can really fly off the handle (no offense) especially when someone say something stupid.
JADAFETWA
LordShaithis
Redshirt

Post by LordShaithis »

Just for the record, this isn't a "news" report. It's not even a hoax or an attempt at tabloid sensationalism. It's... the Weekly World News. Now for those not familiar with it, the WWN is so fucking over-the-top that absolutely NOBODY takes it seriously. It's essentially a humor magazine that dresses up like a supermarket tabloid. Some other storied I've read in WWN:

* 4000 year old vampire found living in old-folks home.

* Bigfoot to fight Yeti in wrestling match.

* Housecat is Hitler reincarnated. (It even had a moustache!!)

So relax. Not even the writers expect anyone to believe their stories.
If Religion and Politics were characters on a soap opera, Religion would be the one that goes insane with jealousy over Politics' intimate relationship with Reality, and secretly murder Politics in the night, skin the corpse, and run around its apartment wearing the skin like a cape shouting "My votes now! All votes for me! Wheeee!" -- Lagmonster
EmperorMing
Sith Devotee

Post by EmperorMing »

Kamakazie Sith wrote::lol: This is great stuff........

Quiet!! That is my trojan horse invasion force! :P do you want to blow their cover before they have arrived?? :lol:

DILLIGAF: Does It Look Like I Give A Fuck

Kill your God!
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Yes...
JADAFETWA
Raoul Duke, Jr.
BANNED

GrandAdmiralPrawn wrote:Just for the record, this isn't a "news" report. It's not even a hoax or an attempt at tabloid sensationalism. It's... the Weekly World News. Now for those not familiar with it, the WWN is so fucking over-the-top that absolutely NOBODY takes it seriously. It's essentially a humor magazine that dresses up like a supermarket tabloid. Some other storied I've read in WWN:

* 4000 year old vampire found living in old-folks home.

* Bigfoot to fight Yeti in wrestling match.

* Housecat is Hitler reincarnated. (It even had a moustache!!)

So relax. Not even the writers expect anyone to believe their stories.
Wait a minute, I remember that rag! My mom used to read it (We're still not sure if therapy is in order...) Isn't that the one with that fuckin' stupid bat-baby? ROFLMAO!
Bob McDob
Rabid Monkey

Post by Bob McDob »

Been meaning to post this for eons . . .
POPE JOHN PAUL II and the Vatican have hit a high-tech way to short-circuit sex scandels gripping the Catholic Church: Robot priests!
And Weekly World News has obtained top-secret blueprints that prove:
1. The technologt to build the "mechanical holy men" does, in fact, exist.
2. Not only that, the first prototypes, which cost $2 million each, are just weeks away from being tested in as-yet unspecified parishes in the United States.
Neither the Pope nor official Vatican spokesmen are speaking for the record.
But highly placed church sources who leaked blueprints and schematics concede that the survival of the chuch might hinge on the sucess of the Japanese-made "Kumachi" robots.
"We are expecting these units to perform many of the duties of a priest, including hearing, confession, conducting Mass, officiating at weddings and funerals, and giving sermons", explains a Vatican insider with ties to the project.
"Robots lack human emotions, impulses and intuitions, and that's certainly a drawback.
"But sooner than later, engineers will take the technology to the next level, and find ways to make these machines more lifelike."
The insider stopped short of saying that the robots were created in order to stem a rising tide of anger and distrust arising from allegations of sex abuse by priests of the United States.
But another Vatican source insists: "That's clearly the case".
The insider did say that the first fleet of mechanical holy men" will begin minestering electronically to the faithful in select parishes in the U.S. by August.
"We aren't Pollyannas here -- we expect some resistance," adds the insider. "But anytime you introduce drastic change, some people are going to fight you."
The insider says Pope John Paul "was instrumental in the development of robot-priest technology, having approved it in theory as early as 1999."
The insider goes on to say the Pope also approved accelerating the program when a series of lurid scandels rocked the Catholic Church to its foundations earlier this year.
"He will issue a statement supporting the use of robots very soon," says the insider, notin that the Pope must time his public appearances carefully as he struggles with advanced Parkinson's disease and the ravages of old age.
Father Luciano Bellacosa, professor of theology at the prestegious St. Thomas Aquinas Seminary, in Naples, Italy, believes robot priests are a sound idea.
"Not only will they help to minimize the problem of sexual predators within the ranks of the Catholic clergy, they can also be ysed to boost the ranks of the clergy -- period," he says.
"Shortages of priests have plagued the chuch since the 1960s.
"The robots aren't cheap. But anything's a bargain compared to the multimillion dollar payoffs for victims of sexual abuse."

FRENCH SUE TO REPO STATUE OF LIBERTY
An offical in the office of the Secretary of the Interior which has authority over the statue said, "Those Frogs sure have a long memory".

Mafia runs help-wanted ads to solve mobster shortage

Simple test tells if you're an idiot!
AN EXCITING new test developd at "a top university" will help you determine if you're an idiot and don't know it.
Don't laugh -- according to psychologists who created the quiz, as many as three out of 10 people are mentally deficient in ways that other folks find obvious, but the idiots themselves are completely unaware of.
To gauge YOUR "Idiot Quotient," answer each of the 10 questions below to the best of your ability . . . After finding out where you standm be sure to quiz your friends and family.

1. Do they have a 4th of July in England?
2. How many birthdays does the average man have?
3. Some months have 31 days, how many of them have 28 days?
4. A woman gives a beggar 50 cents; the woman is the beggar's sister, but the beggar is not the woman's brother. How come?
5. How many outs are there in an inning?
6. Is it legal for a man in California to marry his widow's sister? Why?
7. Two men play five games of checkers. Each man wins the same number of games. There are no ties. Explain this.
8. If there are 3 apples and you take away 2, how many do you have?
9. I have two U.S. coins totalling 55 cents. One is not a nickel. What are the coins?
10. A clerk in the butcher's shop is 5 foot 10 inches tall. What does he weigh?

JIMMY HOFFA FOUND - IN ELVIS' GRAVE

How YOU can renegotiate your deal with the Devil!
WARNING: Dealing with Satan and dark supernatural forces is a risky proposition no matter how experienced you are. Consult a certified professional like Thomas Rutmore or any trusted minister, pastor or priest. The quality of your eternal life may depend on it.

FROG BABY CHOKES ON DRAGONFLY!
'My ason almost croaked,' says relieved mom

NO MERCY FOR THIS ANGEL OF MERCY
Nurse lap dances for her patients - & gets the axe!

Where's Osama? Find him & win $10!
That's the wrong way to tickle Mary, that's the wrong way to kiss!
Don't you know that, over here lad, they like it best like this!
Hooray, pour les français! Farewell, Angleterre!
We didn't know how to tickle Mary, but we learnt how, over there!
EmperorMing
Sith Devotee

Post by EmperorMing »

WTF???

Kill your God!
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

Gotta love how it says the sun is overheating. That's like saying the icecap is overcooling.
Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi
What Kind of Username is That?

Post by Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi »

On the subject of stars, some dimmer, cooler, ones can burn for over 50 billion years.

As for the Weekly World News, they're full of more than someone after a -eating contest. They're just trying to make us afraid.
BotM: Just another monkey|HAB
EmperorMing
Sith Devotee

Post by EmperorMing »

There is enough BS going on as it is without someone else stirring up the headless chickens into a rampage...

Kill your God!
Ironwolf
Redshirt

Post by Ironwolf »

"It's quite similar to when a star goes supernova at the end of its life," Dr. Van der Meer explains. "Over the past 11 years, we've seen our Sun go through changes frighteningly like those that took place in Kepler's Star right before it was observed going supernova in 1604."
I didn't know they could take a stars temperature in 1604. Must have had the flue.
"You can run and get bit, or stand there and get bit. Either way, YOUR GETTING BIT!"
Colonel Olrik
The Spaminator

Post by Colonel Olrik »

Ironwolf wrote:
"It's quite similar to when a star goes supernova at the end of its life," Dr. Van der Meer explains. "Over the past 11 years, we've seen our Sun go through changes frighteningly like those that took place in Kepler's Star right before it was observed going supernova in 1604."
I didn't know they could take a stars temperature in 1604. Must have had the flue.
They didn't. The star just grew bigger, IIRC. Suddenly, there was a new star in the sky. Hard not to notice for an astronomer