How to convert.....

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

How to convert.....

Post by Soontir C'boath »

How do you convert joules and watts into tonnage? What's the ratio is a better question i think. Or am I getting the whole concept wrong........i'm lost here lol.

Cyaround,
Jason
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

Watts are a measure of power. 1 Watt=1 Joule/second.

Tons are a measure of energy.

1 MT=4.18 X 10E15 joules.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
GrandMasterTerwynn
Emperor's Hand

Re: How to convert.....

Post by GrandMasterTerwynn »

Soontir C'boath wrote:How do you convert joules and watts into tonnage? What's the ratio is a better question i think. Or am I getting the whole concept wrong........i'm lost here lol.

Cyaround,
Jason
A watt is equal to 1 joule per second. It's a measure of work. A joule is a measure of energy. Now when you say tonnage, you are meaning the explosive yield of a ton of TNT? One ton of TNT produces something like 4.184E+9 joules of energy. A megaton produces 4.184E+15 joules of energy, and a gigaton produces 4.184E+18 joules of energy.

Cheers,
Durandal
Bile-Driven Hate Machine

Post by Durandal »

You can't "convert" between Watts and Joules, any more than you can convert between years and megabytes.

Tonnage is derived from the approximate explosive energy released by 1 ton of TNT. So, 1 ton of energy is approximately equal to 4.2E9J.

A Watt is a rate, 1 Watt being equal to 1 Joule per second. There is no equivalence between Watts and Joules any more than between meters and meters per second.

A Watt is not a measure of work. A Joule is a measure of work. Work is force multiplied by displacement (a Newton-meter, or kg•m^2/s^2). Work and energy have the same units, but work is defined as useful energy.

For example, when a track runner runs around a track and finishes the race, he has expended energy, but he has done zero work, because he's right back where he started (hence the displacement term). In other words, the basic concept of track is useless in terms of work. :)
Damien Sorresso

"Ever see what them computa bitchez do to numbas? It ain't natural. Numbas ain't supposed to be code, they supposed to quantify shit."
- The Onion
Howedar
Emperor's Thumb

Post by Howedar »

Well, he is stirring the air...
Howedar is no longer here. Need to talk to him? Talk to Pick.
Spoonist
Jedi Council Member

Post by Spoonist »

-->Durandal
Uhm, you can convert between watts and joules...

http://www.convertit.com/Go/ConvertIt/M ... verter.ASP
(really an excellent site...)
watt TO joule = ------
second
(power) (energy) (frequency)

watt =
2.84345136093995E-04 ton of refrigeration
(power)

etc
EmperorMing
Sith Devotee

Post by EmperorMing »

Thanks for the explanation.

DILLIGAF: Does It Look Like I Give A Fuck

Kill your God!
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Wicked Pilot
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Wicked Pilot »

Spoonist wrote:-->Durandal

watt TO joule = ------
second

watt =
(power)
Durandal was right, you cannot convert from joules to watts. Your arguement simply reinforces his arguement, and shows your ignorance of basic physics.
The most basic assumption about the world is that it does not contradict itself.
Durandal
Bile-Driven Hate Machine

Post by Durandal »

-->Durandal
Wrong. A Watt is a rate. Energy and work are amounts. They are not interchangeable, which the ability to convert between implies.
watt TO joule = ------
second
Really? Then convert 1J to Watts for me.
watt =
(power)

etc
Well, duh. A Watt is a measurement of power.
Damien Sorresso

"Ever see what them computa bitchez do to numbas? It ain't natural. Numbas ain't supposed to be code, they supposed to quantify shit."
- The Onion