Worst Pseudoscience

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

Iceberg
ASVS Master of Laundry

Post by Iceberg »

Doomriser, Rob, might I remind you two that this is the "science and logic" forum, not the "bash Christians" forum.

Doom, your .sig just makes you look stupid.
"Carriers dispense fighters, which dispense assbeatings." - White Haven

| Hyperactive Gundam Pilot of MM | GALE | ASVS | Cleaners | Kibologist (beable) | DFB |
If only one rock and roll song echoes into tomorrow
There won't be anything to keep you from the distant morning glow.
I'm not a man. I just portrayed one for 15 years.
Rob Wilson
Sith Apprentice

Post by Rob Wilson »

Iceberg wrote:Doomriser, Rob, might I remind you two that this is the "science and logic" forum, not the "bash Christians" forum.
I'm not bashing Christians, I'm bashing the morons that think prayer alone can heal the terminally ill, or the ones that thinking praying for someone is a substitute for actually helping them in other ways like emotional support or physical aid. If someone wants to pray, then go for it. But remember that you can do other things as well.
Rob Wilson
Sith Apprentice

Post by Rob Wilson »

Iceberg wrote:Doomriser, Rob, might I remind you two that this is the "science and logic" forum, not the "bash Christians" forum.
How about "Christian Scientists" have no Logic? That fits in. :D

What is the deal with Christian Scientists anyway, they don't actully believe in Science. :?

BTW I'm talking about the Christian Science movement, not Scientists that happen to be Christian
Iceberg
ASVS Master of Laundry

Post by Iceberg »

Rob Wilson wrote:How about "Christian Scientists" have no Logic? That fits in. :D

What is the deal with Christian Scientists anyway, they don't actully believe in Science. :?

BTW I'm talking about the Christian Science movement, not Scientists that happen to be Christian
Not only do they not believe in science, they don't really believe in Christ (don't believe in his Deity, let alone in the Trinity).

My dad once told me, "Christian Scientists are neither Christian, nor scientists." Further examination led me to the conclusion that he was dead-on right.

| Hyperactive Gundam Pilot of MM | GALE | ASVS | Cleaners | Kibologist (beable) | DFB |
Rob Wilson
Sith Apprentice

Post by Rob Wilson »

Iceberg wrote:
Rob Wilson wrote:How about "Christian Scientists" have no Logic? That fits in. :D

Not only do they not believe in science, they don't really believe in Christ (don't believe in his Deity, let alone in the Trinity).

My dad once told me, "Christian Scientists are neither Christian, nor scientists." Further examination led me to the conclusion that he was dead-on right.
Makes you wonder why they didn't just call themselves Satanic Intuitors.
:twisted:
Iceberg
ASVS Master of Laundry

Post by Iceberg »

Rob Wilson wrote:Makes you wonder why they didn't just call themselves Satanic Intuitors.
Doesn't look good on a business card. :twisted:

Rob Wilson
Sith Apprentice

Post by Rob Wilson »

Iceberg wrote:
Rob Wilson wrote:Makes you wonder why they didn't just call themselves Satanic Intuitors.
Doesn't look good on a business card. :twisted:
Just to get back on-topic (who me, someone pick up the fainters at the back), I put "Quantum" and "Healing" into a search engine just to see what I'd get.

It gave me this as the first find
http://www.quantumhealing.com/

And from their FAQ we find this
"What is Subluxation?

A vertebral (spinal) subluxation is a clinical condition affecting the relationship and alignment of spinal bones and neurological structures which impacts the overall function of the body’s natural coordinating systems. The influence of the subluxation on the body may be subtle and asymptomatic, or rather dramatic and expressive. The effects of subluxations are cumulative and global."

Anyone want to point out the flaws in tht one paragraph, not to mention what it really says?

Also we get
"How do you know the vertebral subluxation has been reduced or corrected?

The interference from vertebral subluxation is like a rock obstructing the natural flow of a mountain stream. Normally, that life force would flow from above down, and like all generated life energy, from the inside out. When there is interference to the fluid flow of life’s energy, it creates a disharmonious relationship of the physical, emotional, or mental aspects of oneself.

When the pressure of vertebral subluxation is alleviated, and proper spinal alignment restored, that life force energy is released, to resume its natural flow. You will get to know when you are subluxation free and you will experience an increase in productivity, efficiency, and ease."

Same for that one. Any takers?
Peregrin Toker
Emperor's Hand

Post by Peregrin Toker »

The religion preached by the Raëlian Movement![/url]
"Hi there, would you like to have a cookie?"

"No, actually I would HATE to have a cookie, you vapid waste of inedible flesh!"
IDMR
Moderator Emeritus

Post by IDMR »

Rob Wilson wrote:
Iceberg wrote:Alex Chiu is definitely a good candidate.
Yes the Healing properties of magnets, maybe we should get him and the "Magnetic fields cause cancer" crowd together and let them fight it out.

<Snip>
[stoopid]NO! There is no contradiction! Teh mganetic rings properly llines up the life force and the magnetic fields, the powre lines just produce storng field not properly alighned with the life force![/stoopid]
"Intellectual rigor annoys people because it interferes with the pleasure they derive from allowing their wishes to be the fathers of their thoughts." - George F. Will

"If theory and reality diverges, change reality." - Josef Stalin
Soulman
Padawan Learner

Post by Soulman »

New Scientist usually has some good nonsense in the feedback section...

"Primordial M-Water™ is a Perfect Living Water concentrate that is imbued with super coherent life supporting primordial vibration and energy as well as super coherent molecular clustering. With Primordial M-Water™ there is an integration of advanced scientific theory and profound functional health benefits that go beyond limited medical mechanisms."
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

Soulman wrote:New Scientist usually has some good nonsense in the feedback section...

"Primordial M-Water™ is a Perfect Living Water concentrate that is imbued with super coherent life supporting primordial vibration and energy as well as super coherent molecular clustering. With Primordial M-Water™ there is an integration of advanced scientific theory and profound functional health benefits that go beyond limited medical mechanisms."
WOW! I want some! I bet that ting is good for just about everything!
Rocket fuel, immortality potion, turbolaser ammo and whatnot!
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
Franc28
Mindless worshipper of Ayn Rand

Post by Franc28 »

For more entertainment with whackos, check out the site done by me and my girlfriend, called Insolitology ( www.insolitology.com ). It is our web site on oddity on the Internet.

We're not done yet, but about half the material is there...

Post by Guest »

Well the standard creationist arguments tend to take the cake.

"If every effect must have a cause, and this cannot continue to infinity, then there must be a God to fix my brainache!"
Layering assumption on further assumption, this argument is the most widely-used and irritating, in my mind.

"The fossil record does not show one species turning into another!"
The fossil record has never been even slightly complete, fossils are bloody hard to create and the varying populations of different species of varying success will inevitably yield a 'record' where 'missing links' are rare in the extreme.

"The Earth's magnetic field has been declining slowly. If it was more than 6'000 or so years old it would have been lethally intense!"
Bullshit layered upon additional bullshit, with an outright lie thrown in. The Earth's magnetic field is constantly shifting in all sorts of ways, and is widely thought to invert quite often.

"God is outside this reality and so cannot be criticised by conventional science."
Or 'I can't be arsed to justify my beliefs'. God managed to 'dip his hands in' to our universe for a bit of creationist fun, yes? If you cannot come up with any supporting evidence don't dance around making poor excuses.

"Two separate species cannot evolve from one species."
Crap. They certainly can when subjected to differing environmental conditions and niches.

-Which are my nominated few pseudoscience statements.
victorhadin
Padawan Learner

Post by victorhadin »

Blast. I forgot to login. The above post is mine.
"Aw hell. We ran the Large-Eddy-Method-With-Allowances-For-Random-Divinity again and look; the flow separation regions have formed into a little cross shape. Look at this, Fred!"

"Blasted computer model, stigmatizing my aeroplane! Lower the Induced-Deity coefficient next time."
Durandal
Bile-Driven Hate Machine

Post by Durandal »

If every effect must have a cause, and this cannot continue to infinity, then there must be a God to fix my brainache!
I love this argument. It's so easy to punch holes in because it violates its own premise.

Premise: Every effect must have a cause.
Conclusion: There must be an effect that did not have a cause.

This is just downright hilarious, and I can't believe people actually buy it and consider themselves educated.
Durandal
Bile-Driven Hate Machine

Post by Durandal »

If every effect must have a cause, and this cannot continue to infinity, then there must be a God to fix my brainache!
I love this argument. It's so easy to punch holes in because it violates its own premise.

Premise 1: Every effect must have a cause.
Premise 2: This chain cannot be infinite (why not?).
Conclusion: There must be an effect that did not have a cause (what about Premise 1?).

This is just downright hilarious, and I can't believe people actually buy it and consider themselves educated.
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

Star Trek is just one big anomaly that hinders science.
Rob Wilson
Sith Apprentice

Post by Rob Wilson »

Admiral Valdemar wrote:Star Trek is just one big anomaly that hinders science.
Thankfully Entropy knows no barriers and so ST is fading away and grinding to a halt due to lack of creative energy.
:)
BlueExcalibur
Redshirt

Post by BlueExcalibur »

"Occam's Razor is a scientific principle which says that when faced with two theories, we should always choose the simplest theory. Evolution theory requires billions of years of chemical reactions, environmental effects, and genetic mutations. Creation theory simply says "God did it". Creation theory is obviously simpler, therefore Occam's Razor demands that we must select Creation theory on scientific grounds."
Yeah, I pulled if from Mike's site, but oh well.
"I have all the answers, but I never said they were right."
"So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." -Gandalf
Iceberg
ASVS Master of Laundry

Post by Iceberg »

Durandal wrote:

Premise: Every effect must have a cause.
Conclusion: There must be an effect that did not have a cause.
That's not pseudoscience, just bad logic.

Rob Wilson
Sith Apprentice

Post by Rob Wilson »

BlueExcalibur wrote:
"Occam's Razor is a scientific principle which says that when faced with two theories, we should always choose the simplest theory. Evolution theory requires billions of years of chemical reactions, environmental effects, and genetic mutations. Creation theory simply says "God did it". Creation theory is obviously simpler, therefore Occam's Razor demands that we must select Creation theory on scientific grounds."
Well for staggeringly huge misuse of a scientific tool, i think we have a new leader. Any more out there?
Peregrin Toker
Emperor's Hand

Post by Peregrin Toker »

I forgot to mention that my mother tries to "prove" that positioning loudspeakers in a certain way means that you lose memory when sleeping.
"Hi there, would you like to have a cookie?"

"No, actually I would HATE to have a cookie, you vapid waste of inedible flesh!"
Howedar
Emperor's Thumb

Post by Howedar »

BlueExcalibur wrote:
Sweet Jesus on a pogo stick.
Howedar is no longer here. Need to talk to him? Talk to Pick.

Post by Guest »

Rob Wilson wrote:
Doomriser wrote:If a patient in a hospital actually believes that prayer will help him, then people praying will help alleiviate his condition. While prayer itself does not help, if a patient feels happier, loved, cared-for, more confident, and relaxed, than his condition should improve or at least he would feel better.
And if he doesn't know? What if he has Terminal Cancer? Is blind? Has lost a limb? Suffering from Altsiemers? Has AIDs? Has been Paralysed the Destruction of his spinal column? Suffering from 80% coverage of burns? How exactly is the prayer going to help there, apart from assuaging the bad feelings of the one giving the prayer.
Actually in a number of studies.........patients who pray regulary and are semi-religious do tend to have a better recovery rate then non praying/non-religous. I didn't beleive it when my proffessor told me so I looked it up......and it's true (Psych major here so it's kinda my job to know after all :D). So there is a benefit from it
Robert Treder
has strong kung-fu.

Post by Robert Treder »

Anonymous wrote:Actually in a number of studies.........
hahaha...I love it when an argument begins with that phrase!
And you may ask yourself, 'Where does that highway go to?'

Brotherhood of the Monkey - First Monkey|Justice League - Daredevil|Late Knights of Conan O'Brien - Eisenhower Mug Knight (13 Conan Pts.)|SD.Net Chroniclers|HAB