Creationism is great!

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

[Shameless plug]see me mock the flat earthers, http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/viewtopic. ... c&start=27
[/shameless plug]
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Chris Walker
Redshirt

Post by Chris Walker »

Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi wrote:But, considering ideas for a young Earth hhave been refuted over a century ago, and some people still believe it, it will take ages for them to die out completely.
As much as I'd like to think optimistically of the Human race, and say that one day everyone will adopt a rational approach to such silly ideas, I don't really see this happening. As James Randi put it: "No evidence against a firmly-held belief, no matter how good or abundant it may be, will sway the true believer." There's always going to be someone who'll hold fast to some pseudoscientific notion out of stubborn faith - I honestly don't think we'll ever run out of these true believers. A decrease in numbers maybe, but not dying out completely. I just haven't seen any signs whatsoever that irrationality is being removed from human nature. All too often, people will take the easier route of not thinking/challenging preconceived views (...especially when these views give them emotional comfort).
Singular Quartet
Sith Marauder

Post by Singular Quartet »

Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

By this definition, must of us are insane already.
Larz
Rabid Monkey

Post by Larz »

Chris Walker wrote...
As much as I'd like to think optimistically of the Human race, and say that one day everyone will adopt a rational approach to such silly ideas, I don't really see this happening. As James Randi put it: "No evidence against a firmly-held belief, no matter how good or abundant it may be, will sway the true believer." There's always going to be someone who'll hold fast to some pseudoscientific notion out of stubborn faith - I honestly don't think we'll ever run out of these true believers. A decrease in numbers maybe, but not dying out completely. I just haven't seen any signs whatsoever that irrationality is being removed from human nature. All too often, people will take the easier route of not thinking/challenging preconceived views (...especially when these views give them emotional comfort).
As sad as this may seem, it is a truth in humanity. We believe in the things that we are brought up to believe in. As long as these people continue to procreate and then teach their innocent young the evils of the Bible and to accept it and the faith that goes with it blindly, then there will always be stupid people out there that believe the bible is right because God "told" them so. Thus the answer is clear, collect all christians and belief systems that stem from christianity, and hell, any religon that clouds the mind of each coming generation, place them on some continent, and turn the continent into a glowing part of the ocean. To remedy this problem everyone must do their part to save intelligence, help natural selection along, show a fundie "the light" (I don't mean logic either). The Power Is Yours!
"Once again we wanted our heroes to be simple, grizzled everymen with nothing to lose; one foot in the grave, the other wrapped in an American flag and lodged firmly in a terrorist's asshole."

Brotherhood of the Monkey: Nonchalant Disgruntled Monkey
Justice League
Spyder
Sith Marauder

Post by Spyder »

Larz wrote:Chris Walker wrote...
To remedy this problem everyone must do their part to save intelligence, help natural selection along, show a fundie "the light" (I don't mean logic either). The Power Is Yours!
Go planet!
SWPIGWANG
Jedi Council Member

Post by SWPIGWANG »

Foolish lamers, how can you not see all this evolutionary nonsense is merely a trick by the Satan to drive us away from the almighty? All this 'evidence' you see is merely a illusion created by Satan. Satan used his dark powers to alter god's perfect creation and planted such thing as fossils and misleading radioactive elements on earth while altering the landscape. While you might not see the evidence, it only proves that Satan covers his tracks very well and have managed to decive those that does not recieve the word from the lord. Those poor souls will be unable to join God in his heavenly kingdom as they've been tainted by such foul beliefs.

Emperical reductionism can only get you so far. Just scream "DEUX EX MACHINA" and denounce casuality and consistant physical laws and all is possible.

You shall never win.
Nick
Jedi Knight

Post by Nick »

This guy is either:
a) Trying to be funny (and failing); or
b) Begging to be the latest VI

Given that the piece below appears to be a serious attempt at an argument, I'm betting on the latter option.
SWPIGWANG wrote:Emperical reductionism can only get you so far. Just scream "DEUX EX MACHINA" and denounce casuality and consistant physical laws and all is possible.
Actually, the nature of causality and why reductionist science works is an area of ongoing discussion and debate. We don't know why it works, or the exact implications of that fact - but we do know that it does work.

How is this fact in any way an argument for your juvenile anthropomorphic concepts of an impotent narcissistic God and a malevolent deceitful Satan?
"People should buy our toaster because it toasts bread the best, not because it has the only plug that fits in the outlet" - Robert Morris, Almaden Research Center (IBM)

"If you have any faith in the human race you have too much." - Enlightenment
Enforcer Talen
Warlock

Re: Creationism is great!

Post by Enforcer Talen »

Spyder wrote:You know the old story, a good debater can argue any side of a debate nomatter how wrong the chosen side may be yadda yadda you get the point.
Well, I'm not a good debater but let's see how I do anyway:

Creationism is absolutely correct.

There is no possible way scientists can verify that carbon dating works as it cannot be tested.

God gave us everything, the bible says so.

Stem cell research is murder.

Rape is ok, as long as the rapist is wiped clean, says sorry and agrees to pay for the abortion. Although both Rapist and rapee will still go to hell as abortion is murder in the eyes of God.
few christians are that extreme.
This day is Fantastic!
Myers Briggs: ENTJ
Political Compass: -3/-6
DOOMer WoW
"I really hate it when the guy you were pegging as Mr. Worst Case starts saying, "Oh, I was wrong, it's going to be much worse." " - Adrian Laguna