democracies and republics

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

Shrykull
Jedi Master

democracies and republics

Post by Shrykull »

I heard that the united states is not a true democracy, a true democracy I guess would have people serving like how jurors serve in court perhaps? That's it's a federal republic instead.
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

Yes. And?

BoTM / JL / MM / HAB / VRWC / Horseman

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

Your point being?
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
jezrianna
Redshirt

Post by jezrianna »

Strictly speaking, the US is not a democracy, were in every citizen would vote on...EVERYTHING. Rather, we choose representatives to govern on our behalf. So we are a republic.
kojikun
BANNED

Post by kojikun »

no, were not a democracy. yes, we're a republic. and unfortunately there are no entrance exams.
Sì! Abbiamo un' anima! Ma è fatta di tanti piccoli robot.
NapoleonGH
Jedi Master

Post by NapoleonGH »

jezrianna wrote:Strictly speaking, the US is not a democracy, were in every citizen would vote on...EVERYTHING. Rather, we choose representatives to govern on our behalf. So we are a republic.

well actually we could be a true democracy without everyone voting on everything. You could do it Athens style where you have the law making people be randomly selected from the population of the country, for a specific term, say 1 year.
Festina Lente
My shoes are too tight and I've forgotten how to dance
Andrew J.
Sith Marauder

Post by Andrew J. »

No, the US is not a democracy, thankfully. Otherwise we'd be too busy having referendums to ever get anything done! :D

EDIT: Put a "not" in front of democracy, fixed some grammar.
Don't hate; appreciate!

RIP Eddie.