Feyerabend

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

Skelron
Jedi Master

Feyerabend

Post by Skelron »

You know I'm actually quite nervous about this thread.. So a few disclaimers are in order.
1.) I am offically remaining neutral in this thread on my own beliefs... the reason is to say that I disagree with him would make it harder to take a Devil's advocate position realistically which I will take if another side in the argument is needed.. and because to say I agree with him, on this site, sets me up for a good deal of flaming. Perhaps later I'll reveal my actual view point if I think remaining neutral is no longer needed....
2.) I actually wasn't sure how to start the thread, so while what I have posted may not lead directly, or suggest his arguments exactly, assume all his arguments are open to discussion.
3.) If you have never heard of the Bloke, I suggest a Web Search on Ask.co.uk under his name, it did wonders for me in preparing my resist exam on the bloke
Now on with my post, this is a Student at university's recount of a lecture given by the man in question.

Sussex University: the start of the Autumn Term, 1974. There was not a seat to be had in the biggest Arts lecture theatre on campus. Taut with anticipation, we waited expectantly and impatiently for the advertized event to begin. He was not on time - as usual. In fact rumour had it that he would not be appearing at all that illness (or was it just ennui? or perhaps a mistress?) had confined him to bed. But just as we began sadly to reconcile ourselves to the idea that there would be no performance that day at all, Paul Feyerabend burst through the door at the front of the packed hall. Rather pale, and supporting himself on a short metal crutch, he walked with a limp across to the blackboard. Removing his sweater he picked up the chalk and wrote down three questions one beneath the other: What's so great about knowledge? What's so great about science? What's so great about truth? We were not going to be disappointed after all!
Oh as a lead in approach the thread from the questions highlighted in Bold....
Andrew J.
Sith Marauder

Post by Andrew J. »

He has a funny name.
Don't hate; appreciate!

RIP Eddie.
Wicked Pilot
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Feyerabend

Post by Wicked Pilot »

Skelron wrote:What's so great about knowledge?
Knowledge is power
What's so great about science?
Science gives us knowledge accurately and effeciently
What's so great about truth?
The truth will set you free
The most basic assumption about the world is that it does not contradict itself.
Skelron
Jedi Master

Post by Skelron »

Wicked Pilot wrote:
Skelron wrote:What's so great about knowledge?
Knowledge is power
What's so great about science?
Science gives us knowledge accurately and effeciently
What's so great about truth?
The truth will set you free
:lol: Hmm should have expected this... I guess a small description of his argument is needed... just for those who may not know it...

Here goes, Science is not the begining or end of knowledge. It does not hold the 'Truth' merely claims too, in claiming too it therefore is able to attack other theories as being 'lies' and 'anti-Truth'. Note I don't think it would be correct in arguing that Feyerabend had no understanding of Science... He was until his death, one of the foremost Scientific Philospher's out there, and in fact started his acedimic life studying Physics... (And started life as a Positivist, he just shifted quite a lot...) He believed that society had to be defended against science and that a seperation was needed between the state and Science similar to that as was between Science and religion.

He wanted Children raised to question everything, and to choose the Ideology that best suited their needs, not raised with a scientific Bias as he believed was happening. (He also viewed Science as a Western weapon used against other cultures, similar as to how Christianity was used...) Anyway... one sentence answers are really not the answer...
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

Knowledge allows us to apply our abilities. In that manner, I pursue knowledge as the only means I can find that people are worthy of. I don't really believe that people were put here for any purpose (or by anybody), but I figure that since we are here we might as well make the best of it, and since we have no other discernable purpose in existence I believe that knowledge is the best way to accomplish things. It is in this manner a means to an end, and the end itself.

The Truth is very important because it gives us something through which we can communicate effectively with other people. It allows us to identify with one another, and pass along our knowledge so that the next generation of people may also benefit from it and expand upon it.

Science is a method that we can use in our pursuit of knowledge and truth.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Wicked Pilot
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Wicked Pilot »

Skelron wrote:Hmm should have expected this... I guess a small description of his argument is needed... just for those who may not know it...

Well, I'm not really that good at these kinds of philosophical questions. The deepest questions I ponder are usually how fast will it go? what will it cost? and how much time will it take?
The most basic assumption about the world is that it does not contradict itself.
Skelron
Jedi Master

Post by Skelron »

Master of Ossus wrote:Knowledge allows us to apply our abilities. In that manner, I pursue knowledge as the only means I can find that people are worthy of. I don't really believe that people were put here for any purpose (or by anybody), but I figure that since we are here we might as well make the best of it, and since we have no other discernable purpose in existence I believe that knowledge is the best way to accomplish things. It is in this manner a means to an end, and the end itself.

The Truth is very important because it gives us something through which we can communicate effectively with other people. It allows us to identify with one another, and pass along our knowledge so that the next generation of people may also benefit from it and expand upon it.
what is truth through, how you know what Truth is? What makes you certain that the thing you hold to be True is True, what defines it as such. More importantly, how can you be sure that another's truth is not equally true... I'll direct you to the famous picture, the one where it could either be two faces looking at each other, or a Goblet, both are true, both would tend to disprove the other...
Science is a method that we can use in our pursuit of knowledge and truth.
What is the method science uses... Quick point here, I know what the Scientific Method is commonly defined as... but even here debate is split, Positivism and Realist camps exist, and these camps are split into sub sets, (Feyeraband and Popper are both Realists for example, but hold very different theorys) so it may be possible to gather a large group of scientists and find that they hold very different ideas of what Science is.
Skelron
Jedi Master

Post by Skelron »

Wicked Pilot wrote:
Skelron wrote:Hmm should have expected this... I guess a small description of his argument is needed... just for those who may not know it...

Well, I'm not really that good at these kinds of philosophical questions. The deepest questions I ponder are usually how fast will it go? what will it cost? and how much time will it take?
Know how you feel, I study Politics at Uni, this extreme side of the Philosphy is fun... but leaves me often scratching my head in confusion. I wanted to post something on this guy through because his ideas are... so different, and challange many of the views that this board is founded on. I thought it would be basically really good fun, and different. (This guy is REALLY odd, and I really advise people too look him up, it'll confuse you greatly, but also lead to a real good thinking session... Even if in the end he dosn't convince you, the challange to your ideas is enough I think in life, it makes the ideas you hold worth more, because you've actually looked at them and thought about them.)
Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Post by Lagmonster »

Skelron wrote:what is truth through, how you know what Truth is? What makes you certain that the thing you hold to be True is True, what defines it as such. More importantly, how can you be sure that another's truth is not equally true... I'll direct you to the famous picture, the one where it could either be two faces looking at each other, or a Goblet, both are true, both would tend to disprove the other...
This is the philosophical use of perspective. Philosophy and science have ever been at odds over the concept. Science is what we use to DESCRIBE the physical universe. If we look at your picture, we can describe it in a number of different ways. We can describe it for its atomic composition. Its chemical composition. Its art style. We can describe the picture as a whole, and the fact that it DEPICTS both a goblet or the faces. The depiction can be viewed from different *perspectives*, but the *truth* is still that it is both. The difference lies in your *perspective*, and what *parts* of it you are viewing. Take another old story: That of the three blind men and the elephant. One grabbed the trunk and claimed it was a snake, etc., etc., you know the story. In the same case as your picture, perspective defined what the blind men thought, but it didn't define the truth. Science is always open to analysis from new perspectives, and it doesn't blind itself to other perspectives on a thing when making its conclusions. Science doesn't always produce ABSOLUTE conclusions either - it produces theories - especially if the evidence isn't substantial enough to draw a conclusion from (this doesn't *stop* science, note, from amassing all their evidences, submitting their theories, and bundling it together in a format they can TEACH to others - that is what knowledge is). Philosophy looks for absolutes, but science doesn't always give them. If your professor there was questioning the value of science because it doesn't consistantly produce absolutes, then he *didn't understand science*. If he was questioning the value of science because he believes it teaches people to think without asking questions, he *wasn't upset at science, because science is ALL ABOUT QUESTIONING what other scientists have done, searching for flaws, and making improvements to theories by adding new knowledge that they derive by searching for and examining new evidence*. As an aside, I didn't know the chap, but he sounds a lot like Socrates (possibly the champion doubter of all time, and a clever man, if not an overtly smart one).
Note: I'm semi-retired from the board, so if you need something, please be patient.
Skelron
Jedi Master

Post by Skelron »

Lagmonster wrote:This is the philosophical use of perspective. Philosophy and science have ever been at odds over the concept. Science is what we use to DESCRIBE the physical universe. If we look at your picture, we can describe it in a number of different ways. We can describe it for its atomic composition. Its chemical composition. Its art style. We can describe the picture as a whole, and the fact that it DEPICTS both a goblet or the faces. The depiction can be viewed from different *perspectives*, but the *truth* is still that it is both. The difference lies in your *perspective*, and what *parts* of it you are viewing. Take another old story: That of the three blind men and the elephant. One grabbed the trunk and claimed it was a snake, etc., etc., you know the story. In the same case as your picture, perspective defined what the blind men thought, but it didn't define the truth. Science is always open to analysis from new perspectives, and it doesn't blind itself to other perspectives on a thing when making its conclusions. Science doesn't always produce ABSOLUTE conclusions either - it produces theories - especially if the evidence isn't substantial enough to draw a conclusion from (this doesn't *stop* science, note, from amassing all their evidences, submitting their theories, and bundling it together in a format they can TEACH to others - that is what knowledge is).
You see this is the point Science claims it is open to new perspectives and new takes, but Feyereband would argue that is no longer the case. In the begining, yes Science was new, and it's followers where challanging everything left right and centre, so that we had new perspectives of the world coming out on a regular basis. However today, we get small studies, that only ever challange small things, Scientists no longer even approach their works with a true air of doubt, rather they have started to interpret results in manners which support their starting theories, and only ever allow very small changes. Science he thinks is no longer in the seach for knowladge, it is in the search for itself.
Philosophy looks for absolutes, but science doesn't always give them. If your professor there was questioning the value of science because it doesn't consistantly produce absolutes, then he *didn't understand science*.
Very definatly Not!! He wanted a world where all theories where allowed to, I guess Breath, a World where two people could hold opposite theories, and society would simply say... Okay you do that.
If he was questioning the value of science because he believes it teaches people to think without asking questions, he *wasn't upset at science, because science is ALL ABOUT QUESTIONING what other scientists have done, searching for flaws, and making improvements to theories by adding new knowledge that they derive by searching for and examining new evidence*.
Hmm, When I get home to Middlesbrough I'll post his argument on the 'Fairy Tale' of the Scientific Method... It will be better than having me mess it up trying to paraphrase it.
Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Post by Lagmonster »

Skelron wrote:You see Science claims it is open to new perspectives and new takes, but Feyereband would argue that is no longer the case. In the begining, yes Science was new, and it's followers were challanging everything left right and centre, so that we had new perspectives of the world coming out on a regular basis. However today, we get small studies, that only ever challange small things, Scientists no longer even approach their works with a true air of doubt, rather they have started to interpret results in manners which support their starting theories, and only ever allow very small changes. Science he thinks is no longer in the seach for knowladge, it is in the search for itself.
Are you telling me that Feyereband is suggesting that science is worthless because scientists don't achieve great successes or have lousy attitudes? How does this destroy the validity of the scientific method? I don't know the chap, but I think at this point that you may be misinterpreting his point.
Hmm, When I get home to Middlesbrough I'll post his argument on the 'Fairy Tale' of the Scientific Method... It will be better than having me mess it up trying to paraphrase it.
This is a good idea.
Note: I'm semi-retired from the board, so if you need something, please be patient.
Skelron
Jedi Master

Post by Skelron »

Lagmonster wrote:
Are you telling me that Feyereband is suggesting that science is worthless because scientists don't achieve great successes or have lousy attitudes? How does this destroy the validity of the scientific method? I don't know the chap, but I think at this point that you may be misinterpreting his point.
Hmm, no not really, but it was one of his criticism's... (and he never believed it was 'Worthless' It has it's worth, after all it creates technolgies that make life easier, etc. He would never argue that it was worthless, just that it's worth had become inflated, and that it is not the only valid approach to life.
This is a good idea.[/quote] Thanks expect it tonight/tommorow night, damn this Resit exam. One resit and I have to spend 7 hours on a train. (Total) for 2 hours of work... Oh well.
Darth Wong
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Post by Darth Wong »

Skelron wrote:Here goes, Science is not the begining or end of knowledge. It does not hold the 'Truth' merely claims too, in claiming too it therefore is able to attack other theories as being 'lies' and 'anti-Truth'.
That is an ancient philosophers' argument against science. It is also a strawman. Science makes no claims on "truth", a philosophically charged term if I ever heard one. Science only attempts to produce the most accurate descriptive model of the observable universe possible.

Moreover, attacking science by claiming that its practitioners suffer from human frailties (the most common philosophers' attack) is a ridiculous tactic, and philosophers have been doing it for centuries even though the method has invariably won out over human stubbornness and irrationality every time.

When challenged, anti-science philosophers are unable to name specific theories which meet all of the criteria for scientific validity and are yet rejected over the long term (initial short-term rejection doesn't count). Nevertheless, they persist in claiming that scientists routinely reject that which they don't like, even though it meets all of the methodological criteria. In other words, they claim bias and uneven application of the method, but they make sweeping generalizations and are unable to demonstrate specific examples. Every time they try, it can easily be shown that their examples do not fit the method, thus their claims of uneven application are nonsense.
Note I don't think it would be correct in arguing that Feyerabend had no understanding of Science... He was until his death, one of the foremost Scientific Philospher's out there, and in fact started his acedimic life studying Physics... (And started life as a Positivist, he just shifted quite a lot...) He believed that society had to be defended against science and that a seperation was needed between the state and Science similar to that as was between Science and religion.
Too bad. If the arguments you cite are correct, then he does fail to understand science at the basic philosophical level. Attempts to appeal to his authority or claimed credentials are fallacious if it can be shown that his arguments grossly misrepresent science, which they do. And what exactly does it mean to be one of the "foremost scientific philosophers" out there? Has he conducted ground-breaking research? Has he discovered something revolutionary? Or has he just written a lot of papers which were favourably received by other philosophers, thus making his credentials nothing more than an appeal to popularity?
He wanted Children raised to question everything, and to choose the Ideology that best suited their needs, not raised with a scientific Bias as he believed was happening.
Science questions everything. Science remains subordinate to observations of the objective universe at all time. Science is a method, not an ideology. Either you totally mis-read his argument, or he's full of shit.
(He also viewed Science as a Western weapon used against other cultures, similar as to how Christianity was used...)
Sounds like philosophical sophistry and bullshit to me. There are no resemblances whatsoever between science and Christianity.
Anyway... one sentence answers are really not the answer...
Frankly, I've heard this sort of anti-scientific philosophers' argument before, and they've never withstood serious criticism. Philosophers are reluctant to accept the scientific method because it dispenses with most of their bullshit and forces people to make their theories subordinate not to the opinions of other philosophers, but to observations of objective reality. Philosophers don't like pragmatism, because in the end, it highlights the difference between that which is useful and functional (eg- science) and that which is useless (eg- all of philosophy besides logic).
"It's not evil for God to do it. Or for someone to do it at God's command."- Jonathan Boyd on baby-killing

"you guys are fascinated with the use of those "rules of logic" to the extent that you don't really want to discussus anything."- GC

"I do not believe Russian Roulette is a stupid act" - Embracer of Darkness

"Viagra commercials appear to save lives" - tharkûn on US health care.

http://www.stardestroyer.net/Mike/RantMode/Blurbs.html
Skelron
Jedi Master

Post by Skelron »

Okay first his critic of the of the 'Fairy Tale of Science' this is in his own words. So I can't mess it up...
Fairytales
I want to defend society and its inhabitants from all ideologies, science included. All ideologies must be seen in perspective. One must not take them too seriously. One must read them like fairytales which have lots of interesting things to say but which also contain wicked lies, or like ethical prescriptions which may be useful rules of thumb but which are deadly when followed to the letter.
Now, is this not a strange and ridiculous attitude? Science, surely, was always in the forefront of the fight against authoritarianism and superstition. It is to science that we owe our increased intellectual freedom vis-à-vis religious beliefs; it is to science that we owe the liberation of mankind from ancient and rigid forms of thought. Today these forms of thought are nothing but bad dreams -- and this we learned from science. Science and enlightenment are one and the same thing -- even the most radical critics of society believe this. Kropotkin wants to overthrow all traditional institutions and forms of belief, with the exception of science. Ibsen criticises the most intimate ramifications of nineteenth-century bourgeois ideology, but he leaves science untouched. Levi-Strauss has made us realise that Western Thought is not the lonely peak of human achievement it was once believed to be, but he excludes science from his relativization of ideologies. Marx and Engels were convinced that science would aid the workers in their quest for mental and social liberation. Are all these people deceived? Are they all mistaken about the role of science? Are they all the victims of a chimaera?
To these questions my answer is a firm Yes and No.
Now, let me explain my answer.
My explanation consists of two parts, one more general, one more specific.
The general explanation is simple. Any ideology that breaks the hold a comprehensive system of thought has on the minds of men contributes to the liberation of man. Any ideology that makes man question inherited beliefs is an aid to enlightenment. A truth that reigns without checks and balances is a tyrant who must be overthrown, and any falsehood that can aid us in the over throw of this tyrant is to be welcomed. It follows that seventeenth- and eighteenth-century science indeed was an instrument of liberation and enlightenment. It does not follow that science is bound to remain such an instrument. There is nothing inherent in science or in any other ideology that makes it essentially liberating. Ideologies can deteriorate and become stupid religions. Look at Marxism. And that the science of today is very different from the science of 1650 is evident at the most superficial glance.
For example, consider the role science now plays in education. Scientific "facts" are taught at a very early age and in the very same manner in which religious "facts" were taught only a century ago. There is no attempt to waken the critical abilities of the pupil so that he may be able to see things in perspective. At the universities the situation is even worse, for indoctrination is here carried out in a much more systematic manner. Criticism is not entirely absent. Society, for example, and its institutions, are criticised most severely and often most unfairly and this already at the elementary school level. But science is excepted from the criticism. In society at large the judgement of the scientist is received with the same reverence as the judgement of bishops and cardinals was accepted not too long ago. The move towards "demythologization," for example, is largely motivated by the wish to avoid any clash between Christianity and scientific ideas. If such a clash occurs, then science is certainly right and Christianity wrong. Pursue this investigation further and you will see that science has now become as oppressive as the ideologies it had once to fight. Do not be misled by the fact that today hardly anyone gets killed for joining a scientific heresy. This has nothing to do with science. It has something to do with the general quality of our civilization. Heretics in science are still made to suffer from the most severe sanctions this relatively tolerant civilization has to offer.
But -- is this description not utterly unfair? Have I not presented the matter in a very distorted light by using tendentious and distorting terminology? Must we not describe the situation in a very different way? I have said that science has become rigid, that it has ceased to be an instrument of change and liberation, without adding that it has found the truth, or a large part thereof. Considering this additional fact we realise, so the objection goes, that the rigidity of science is not due to human wilfulness. It lies in the nature of things. For once we have discovered the truth -- what else can we do but follow it?
This trite reply is anything but original. It is used whenever an ideology wants to reinforce the faith of its followers. "Truth" is such a nicely neutral word. Nobody would deny that it is commendable to speak the truth and wicked to tell lies. Nobody would deny that -- and yet nobody knows what such an attitude amounts to. So it is easy to twist matters and to change allegiance to truth in one’s everyday affairs into allegiance to the Truth of an ideology which is nothing but the dogmatic defense of that ideology. And it is of course not true that we have to follow the truth. Human life is guided by many ideas. Truth is one of them. Freedom and mental independence are others. If Truth, as conceived by some ideologists, conflicts with freedom, then we have a choice. We may abandon freedom. But we may also abandon Truth. (Alternatively, we may adopt a more sophisticated idea of truth that no longer contradicts freedom; that was Hegel’s solution.) My criticism of modern science is that it inhibits freedom of thought. If the reason is that it has found the truth and now follows it, then I would say that there are better things than first finding, and then following such a monster.
This finishes the general part of my explanation.
There exists a more specific argument to defend the exceptional position science has in society today. Put in a nutshell the argument says (1) that science has finally found the correct method for achieving results and (2) that there are many results to prove the excellence of the method. The argument is mistaken -- but most attempts to show this lead into a dead end. Methodology has by now become so crowded with empty sophistication that it is extremely difficult to perceive the simple errors at the basis. It is like fighting the hydra -- cut off one ugly head, and eight formalizations take its place. In this situation the only answer is superficiality: when sophistication loses content then the only way of keeping in touch with reality is to be crude and superficial. This is what I intend to be.
Against Method
There is a method, says part (1) of the argument. What is it? How does it work? One answer which is no longer as popular as it used to be is that science works by collecting facts and inferring theories from them. The answer is unsatisfactory as theories never follow from facts in the strict logical sense. To say that they may yet be supported from facts assumes a notion of support that (a) does not show this defect and (b) is sufficiently sophisticated to permit us to say to what extent, say, the theory of relativity is supported by the facts. No such notion exists today, nor is it likely that it will ever be found (one of the problems is that we need a notion of support in which grey ravens can be said to support "all ravens are black"). This was realised by conventionalists and transcendental idealists who pointed out that theories shape and order facts and can therefore be retained come what may. They can be retained because the human mind either consciously or unconsciously carries out its ordering function. The trouble with these views is that they assume for the mind what they want to explain for the world, viz., that it works in a regular fashion. There is only one view which overcomes all these difficulties. It was invented twice in the nineteenth century, by Mill, in his immortal essay On Liberty, and by some Darwinists who extended Darwinism to the battle of ideas. This view takes the bull by the horns: theories cannot be justified and their excellence cannot be shown without reference to other theories. We may explain the success of a theory by reference to a more comprehensive theory (we may explain the success of Newton’s theory by using the general theory of relativity); and we may explain our preference for it by comparing it with other theories.
Such a comparison does not establish the intrinsic excellence of the theory we have chosen. As a matter of fact, the theory we have chosen may be pretty lousy. It may contain contradictions, it may conflict with well-known facts, it may be cumbersome, unclear, ad hoc in decisive places, and so on. But it may still be better than any other theory that is available at the time. It may in fact be the best lousy theory there is. Nor are the standards of judgement chosen in an absolute manner. Our sophistication increases with every choice we make, and so do our standards. Standards compete just as theories compete and we choose the standards most appropriate to the historical situation in which the choice occurs. The rejected alternatives (theories; standards; "facts") are not eliminated. They serve as correctives (after all, we may have made the wrong choice) and they also explain the content of the preferred views (we understand relativity better when we understand the structure of its competitors; we know the full meaning of freedom only when we have an idea of life in a totalitarian state, of its advantages -- and there are many advantages -- as well as of its disadvantages). Knowledge so conceived is an ocean of alternatives channelled and subdivided by an ocean of standards. It forces our mind to make imaginative choices and thus makes it grow. It makes our mind capable of choosing, imagining, criticising.
Today this view is often connected with the name of Karl Popper. But there are some very decisive differences between Popper and Mill. To start with, Popper developed his view to solve a special problem of epistemology -- he wanted to solve "Hume’s problem." Mill, on the other hand, is interested in conditions favourable to human growth. His epistemology is the result of a certain theory of man, and not the other way around. Also Popper, being influenced by the Vienna Circle, improves on the logical form of a theory before discussing it, while Mill uses every theory in the form in which it occurs in science. Thirdly, Popper’s standards of comparison are rigid and fixed, while Mill’s standards are permitted to change with the historical situation. Finally, Popper’s standards eliminate competitors once and for all: theories that are either not falsifiable or falsifiable and falsified have no place in science. Popper’s criteria are clear, unambiguous, precisely formulated; Mill’s criteria are not. This would be an advantage if science itself were clear, unambiguous, and precisely formulated. Fortunately, it is not.
To start with, no new and revolutionary scientific theory is ever formulated in a manner that permits us to say under what circumstances we must regard it as endangered: many revolutionary theories are unfalsifiable. Falsifiable versions do exist, but they are hardly ever in agreement with accepted basic statements: every moderately interesting theory is falsified. Moreover, theories have formal flaws, many of them contain contradictions, ad hoc adjustments, and so on and so forth. Applied resolutely, Popperian criteria would eliminate science without replacing it by anything comparable. They are useless as an aid to science. In the past decade this has been realised by various thinkers, Kuhn and Lakatos among them. Kuhn’s ideas are interesting but, alas, they are much too vague to give rise to anything but lots of hot air. If you don’t believe me, look at the literature. Never before has the literature on the philosophy of science been invaded by so many creeps and incompetents. Kuhn encourages people who have no idea why a stone falls to the ground to talk with assurance about scientific method. Now I have no objection to incompetence but I do object when incompetence is accompanied by boredom and self-righteousness. And this is exactly what happens. We do not get interesting false ideas, we get boring ideas or words connected with no ideas at all. Secondly, wherever one tries to make Kuhn’s ideas more definite one finds that they are false. Was there ever a period of normal science in the history of thought? No -- and I challenge anyone to prove the contrary.
Lakatos is immeasurably more sophisticated than Kuhn. Instead of theories he considers research programmes which are sequences of theories connected by methods of modification, so-called heuristics. Each theory in the sequence may be full of faults. It may be beset by anomalies, contradictions, ambiguities. What counts is not the shape of the single theories, but the tendency exhibited by the sequence. We judge historical developments and achievements over a period of time, rather than the situation at a particular time. History and methodology are combined into a single enterprise. A research programme is said to progress if the sequence of theories leads to novel predictions. It is said to degenerate if it is reduced to absorbing facts that have been discovered without its help. A decisive feature of Lakatos’ methodology is that such evaluations are no longer tied to methodological rules which tell the scientist either to retain or to abandon a research programme. Scientists may stick to a degenerating programme; they may even succeed in making the programme overtake its rivals and they therefore proceed rationally whatever they are doing (provided they continue calling degenerating programmes degenerating and progressive programmes progressive). This means that Lakatos offers words which sound like the elements of a methodology; he does not offer a methodology. There is no method according to the most advanced and sophisticated methodology in existence today. This finishes my reply to part (1) of the specific argument.
Against Results
According to part (2), science deserves a special position because it has produced results. This is an argument only if it can be taken for granted that nothing else has ever produced results. Now it may be admitted that almost everyone who discusses the matter makes such an assumption. It may also be admitted that it is not easy to show that the assumption is false. Forms of life different from science either have disappeared or have degenerated to an extent that makes a fair comparison impossible. Still, the situation is not as hopeless as it was only a decade ago. We have become acquainted with methods of medical diagnosis and therapy which are effective (and perhaps even more effective than the corresponding parts of Western medicine) and which are yet based on an ideology that is radically different from the ideology of Western science. We have learned that there are phenomena such as telepathy and telekinesis which are obliterated by a scientific approach and which could be used to do research in an entirely novel way (earlier thinkers such as Agrippa of Nettesheim, John Dee, and even Bacon were aware of these phenomena). And then -- is it not the case that the Church saved souls while science often does the very opposite? Of course, nobody now believes in the ontology that underlies this judgement. Why? Because of ideological pressures identical with those which today make us listen to science to the exclusion of everything else. It is also true that phenomena such as telekinesis and acupuncture may eventually be absorbed into the body of science and may therefore be called "scientific." But note that this happens only after a long period of resistance during which a science not yet containing the phenomena wants to get the upper hand over forms of life that contain them. And this leads to a further objection against part (2) of the specific argument. The fact that science has results counts in its favour only if these results were achieved by science alone, and without any outside help. A look at history shows that science hardly ever gets its results in this way. When Copernicus introduced a new view of the universe, he did not consult scientific predecessors, he consulted a crazy Pythagorean such as Philolaos. He adopted his ideas and he maintained them in the face of all sound rules of scientific method. Mechanics and optics owe a lot to artisans, medicine to midwives and witches. And in our own day we have seen how the interference of the state can advance science: when the Chinese communists refused to be intimidated by the judgement of experts and ordered traditional medicine back into universities and hospitals there was an outcry all over the world that science would now be ruined in China. The very opposite occurred: Chinese science advanced and Western science learned from it. Wherever we look we see that great scientific advances are due to outside interference which is made to prevail in the face of the most basic and most "rational" methodological rules. The lesson is plain: there does not exist a single argument that could be used to support the exceptional role which science today plays in society. Science has done many things, but so have other ideologies. Science often proceeds systematically, but so do other ideologies (just consult the records of the many doctrinal debates that took place in the Church) and besides, there are no overriding rules which are adhered to under any circumstances; there is no "scientific methodology" that can be used to separate science from the rest. Science is just one of the many ideologies that propel society and it should be treated as such (this statement applies even to the most progressive and most dialectical sections of science). What consequences can we draw from this result?
The most important consequence is that there must be a formal separation between state and science just as there is now a formal separation between state and church. Science may influence society but only to the extent to which any political or other pressure group is permitted to influence society. Scientists may be consulted on important projects but the final judgement must be left to the democratically elected consulting bodies. These bodies will consist mainly of laymen. Will the laymen be able to come to a correct judgement? Most certainly, for the competence, the complications and the successes of science are vastly exaggerated. One of the most exhilarating experiences is to see how a lawyer, who is a layman, can find holes in the testimony, the technical testimony, of the most advanced expert and thus prepare the jury for its verdict. Science is not a closed book that is understood only after years of training. It is an intellectual discipline that can be examined and criticised by anyone who is interested and that looks difficult and profound only because of a systematic campaign of obfuscation carried out by many scientists (though, I am happy to say, not by all). Organs of the state should never hesitate to reject the judgement of scientists when they have reason for doing so. Such rejection will educate the general public, will make it more confident, and it may even lead to improvement. Considering the sizeable chauvinism of the scientific establishment we can say: the more Lysenko affairs, the better (it is not the interference of the state that is objectionable in the case of Lysenko, but the totalitarian interference which kills the opponent rather than just neglecting his advice). Three cheers to the fundamentalists in California who succeeded in having a dogmatic formulation of the theory of evolution removed from the text books and an account of Genesis included. (But I know that they would become as chauvinistic and totalitarian as scientists are today when given the chance to run society all by themselves. Ideologies are marvellous when used in the companies of other ideologies. They become boring and doctrinaire as soon as their merits lead to the removal of their opponents.) The most important change, however, will have to occur in the field of education.
Yes maybe too much there... but I was unsure where to cut it, and decided too much info is better than too little... too little and I may miss out an important point, too much and it just gives furthur info on the guy. (Oh and Darth Wong, I am not appealing to this guy's authority... I was simply pointing out he's not a know nothing Whack... a list of his works would be long, but they include many ground breaking texts such as Against Method... (Which was as a small piece of information originally going to be For and against method, and be a joint work, (As a Series of debates) but his partner in this text died before they had started, so he did it on his own.)