The SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19 coronavirus

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Re: The SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19 coronavirus

Post by mr friendly guy »

Broomstick wrote: 2020-03-04 08:36pm Two strains might also explain the folks who were sick, recovered, then quickly reinfected?
Finally got time to reply to this, between patients.
The answer I think is its still too early to tell. AFAIK there still isn't a serology test to look at antibodies. Theoretically it makes sense. Viruses generate numerous Ag, so our body's antibodies have several targets, hepatitis B is an obvious example. We know from hep B some of them mutate to lose the e antigen (that's lower case e) and this strain is called a pre core mutant. So its plausible that the antibodies generated against different strains of covid 19 target different antigens, which might not be shared between the S and L strain.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

mr friendly guy wrote: 2020-03-04 11:48pm Australia has now added Italy and South Korea to the list of travel bans along with existing bans from China and Iran.

https://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-u ... b5214c0945
Canada still has no travel bans, we just have travel advisories to avoid non-essential travel to the affected countries. Toronto & Vancouver continue to import new cases of coronavirus from China & Iran on a pretty consistent basis, I think it's only a matter of time before it breaks containment.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

aerius wrote: 2020-03-05 12:10am
mr friendly guy wrote: 2020-03-04 11:48pm Australia has now added Italy and South Korea to the list of travel bans along with existing bans from China and Iran.

https://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-u ... b5214c0945
Canada still has no travel bans, we just have travel advisories to avoid non-essential travel to the affected countries. Toronto & Vancouver continue to import new cases of coronavirus from China & Iran on a pretty consistent basis, I think it's only a matter of time before it breaks containment.
The risk from China outside of Hubei province is likely low given the numbers being reported. In any event Australia has Chinese visitors spend another 14 days in another country which is not at risk, eg Thailand and then they can come in as even if they had it, its most probably not infective by then (of course if that third country has an outbreak, then the situation is different).

Can't comment on the risk from SK, Italy or Iran. I will defer to WHO on this, but I suspect its too early to make a call as the infection has just started.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Italy wasn't banned IIRC, just tougher checks.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

Imagine for a moment, if China instead of updating daily (on the website I linked earlier in this thread) decided, hey lets update the covid 19 numbers once a week and doing that at the start of the outbreak. The New Antisemitic times, Broadcasting Bullshit Corporation and Crappy News Network will be bitching their heads off about a cover up. Now imagine if a Western government does that? Well the UK just did. :D

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/daily-coronav ... 05530.html
The government will no longer publish daily updates about the locations of new coronavirus cases in the UK.

It comes after the number of cases jumped by 34 in one day to 85.

Previously, the Department of Health was publishing one daily update detailing where the patients who have tested positive come from.

However, with the number of cases growing, the department said in a statement on Wednesday that this will now be weekly: “As of today, due to the number of new cases, we will no longer be tweeting information on the location of each new case.

“Instead, this information will be released centrally in a consolidated format online, once a week. We are working on this now and plan to share on Friday.”

Dozens of Twitter users reacted furiously to the announcement.

“That's an absolute joke,” wrote one, “it's a public health emergency and you're not releasing vital information.”

Read more: CCTV images released in hunt for ‘racist coronavirus attackers who targeted student’
Another wrote: “You have a duty of care to provide the public with as much information as you can to enable us to make our own decisions regarding risk.”

Wednesday’s increase in coronavirus cases was the biggest day-on-day jump, with England’s chief medical officer, Prof Chris Whitty, having warned a UK epidemic is looking “likely”.

Three of the 29 new cases in England were passed on in the UK, raising fears that community transmission may now be taking hold.
And yes a quick google search reviews other outlets carrying this story.

aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Looking at the countries which have had a mass breakout. Iran, Italy, and China are all at a 3-4% death rate while South Korea is sitting at 0.6% Is it possible that SK got hit with a different strain of the virus or are there other factors at work? I've heard reports that the part of Italy it got loose in is filled with old people which could explain the higher fatality rate, but I've been unable to confirm anything.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

mr friendly guy wrote: 2020-03-05 09:29am Imagine for a moment, if China instead of updating daily (on the website I linked earlier in this thread) decided, hey lets update the covid 19 numbers once a week and doing that at the start of the outbreak. The New Antisemitic times, Broadcasting Bullshit Corporation and Crappy News Network will be bitching their heads off about a cover up. Now imagine if a Western government does that? Well the UK just did. :D

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/daily-coronav ... 05530.html
The government will no longer publish daily updates about the locations of new coronavirus cases in the UK.

It comes after the number of cases jumped by 34 in one day to 85.

Previously, the Department of Health was publishing one daily update detailing where the patients who have tested positive come from.

However, with the number of cases growing, the department said in a statement on Wednesday that this will now be weekly: “As of today, due to the number of new cases, we will no longer be tweeting information on the location of each new case.

“Instead, this information will be released centrally in a consolidated format online, once a week. We are working on this now and plan to share on Friday.”

Dozens of Twitter users reacted furiously to the announcement.

“That's an absolute joke,” wrote one, “it's a public health emergency and you're not releasing vital information.”

Read more: CCTV images released in hunt for ‘racist coronavirus attackers who targeted student’
Another wrote: “You have a duty of care to provide the public with as much information as you can to enable us to make our own decisions regarding risk.”

Wednesday’s increase in coronavirus cases was the biggest day-on-day jump, with England’s chief medical officer, Prof Chris Whitty, having warned a UK epidemic is looking “likely”.

Three of the 29 new cases in England were passed on in the UK, raising fears that community transmission may now be taking hold.
And yes a quick google search reviews other outlets carrying this story.
I will put good money on PHE not automating that and having some poor sod type each onto Twitter.

Daily counts still available via website according to here: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus ... the-public
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

https://www.nationalnursesunited.org/pr ... d-covid-19
Nation’s hospitals unprepared for COVID-19
National Nurses United
February 28, 2020

UC Davis case just one example as one patient sends 124 nurses and health care workers home on self quar
antine

Despite University of California medical facilities being generally better prepared and equipped to treat challenging medical cases, the recent UC Davis Medical Center COVID-19 case highlights the vulnerability of the nation’s hospitals to this virus and the insufficiency of current Centers for Disease Control guidelines.

The single COVID-19 patient admitted to the facility on Feb. 19 has now led to the self-quarantine at home of at least 36 RNs and 88 other health care workers.

These 124 nurses and health care workers, who are needed now more than ever, have instead been sidelined. Lack of preparedness will create an unsustainable national health care staffing crisis.

Nurses view the handling of this COVID-19 case as a system failure and not a success. National Nurses United RNs are speaking out because they are dedicated to protecting the health and safety of their patients, health care workers, and the public.

Nurses employed by the University of California medical centers had met with UC officials four times and written repeatedly, starting from Jan. 28, to notify them about the urgency to prepare for coronavirus, make information requests, and offer to work with them. On Feb. 18, UC nurses wrote to Janet Napolitano, the UC system president, to demand increased protection for nurses and patients against the coronavirus. UC Davis nurses on Feb. 11, eight days before this patient was admitted, approached hospital management and asked them to institute infection control plans that already existed and had been in place during the 2014 ebola outbreak, but the hospital did not.

“We know that we can be successful in getting all our hospitals prepared to control the spread of this virus,” said Bonnie Castillo, RN, executive director of National Nurses United. “We are committed to working with hospitals and state and federal agencies to be ready. But nurses and health care workers need optimal staffing, equipment, and supplies to do so. This is not the time for hospital chains to cut corners or prioritize their profits. This is the time to go the extra mile and make sure health care workers, patients, and the public are protected at the highest standards.”

National Nurses United is conducting a survey of registered nurses across the country on hospital preparedness and will be releasing those results next week.

Preliminary results from more than 1,000 nurses in California are worrisome:

Only 27 percent report that there is a plan in place to isolate a patient with a possible novel coronavirus infection. 47 percent report they don’t know if there is a plan.

Only 73 percent report that they have access to N95 respirators on their units; 47 percent report access to powered air purifying respirators (PAPRs) on their units.

Only 27 percent report that their employer has sufficient personal protective equipment (PPE) stock on hand to protect staff if there is a rapid surge in patients with possible coronavirus infections; 44 percent don’t know.

In addition to the survey, NNU has sent letters to the federal Centers for Disease Control, asking it to strengthen its guidelines on COVID-19, and to the California Department of Public Health, Cal-OSHA, and the World Health Organization outlining its concerns and recommendations.
From twitter:

LINK
CRITICAL: All hospital employees in #Aachen will no longer be quarantined, if they show no symptoms, even if they were in contact with an infected. It is a decision against the current recommendations of the RKI.

A city spokey person says: "The current regulation can paralyse wards, even endangering the operation of entire hospitals and highly special care services as critical structures of health care."

A nurse from neonatology of the University Hospital had tested positive for the coronavirus on Monday afternoon. In the past few days, she had been working at the hospital and had been in contact with about 45 employees, according to the statement.

These 45 employees would have to be quarantined for 14 days, according to the recommendations currently in place. This would put the work in the intensive care unit to a standstill. - Aachener Nachrichten
Twitter in Italy
10/ One in ten doctors in Lombardy cannot work because of the virus (he's ill or in preventive isolation).

12/ The major of an Italian quarantined city: "people keep dying and there are no doctors to treat the sick […] we had 5 GPs, 3 are in quarantine & 2 are sick; 1 GP volunteered [from outside but] no one gave him the tools to protect himself when he's visiting patients."
Trump on Twitter
Gallup just gave us the highest rating ever for the way we are handling the CoronaVirus situation. The April 2009-10 Swine Flu, where nearly 13,000 people died in the U.S., was poorly handled. Ask MSDNC & lightweight Washington failure @RonaldKlain, who the President was then?

Donald J. Trump Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) March 5, 2020
COVID test numbers by country circa 2 March 2020
South Korea 109,591
Italy 23,345
Austria 2,120
Switzerland 1,850
UK 13,525
Finland 130
Vietnam 1,737
Turkey 940
United States 472
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

aerius wrote: 2020-03-05 01:52pm Looking at the countries which have had a mass breakout. Iran, Italy, and China are all at a 3-4% death rate while South Korea is sitting at 0.6% Is it possible that SK got hit with a different strain of the virus or are there other factors at work? I've heard reports that the part of Italy it got loose in is filled with old people which could explain the higher fatality rate, but I've been unable to confirm anything.
"Medical system is overwhelmed with patients far exceeding capacity" goes a long way toward explaining all that.

Iran had it get loose inside at least one prison, which is pretty terrible for infection control.

Demographics will play a big role - the elderly are at much higher risk so if an area affected has a lot of elderly the mortality rate will spike.

But... yes, there are two strains identified and one is more virulent than the other. Which might also be a factor.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Isn't South Korea's outbreak largely withing a single church organization? That could be what's skewing it. From what I can recall, most of the members were young to middle aged, and reasonably healthy.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

BREAKING: Bethlehem will be put on lockdown from midnight due to coronavirus - Jerusalem Post

BNO Newsroom BNO Newsroom (@BNODesk) March 5, 2020
Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas has declared a state of emergency due to coronavirus; all schools and universities will be closed - Jerusalem Post https://t.co/xNt3BiQPtZ

The decision to put Bethlehem on lockdown was taken by Israel in coordination with the Palestinian Authority, according to local media. As of midnight, no one is allowed to enter or leave the city. https://t.co/xNt3Bj8qSz

"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

aerius wrote: 2020-03-05 01:52pm Looking at the countries which have had a mass breakout. Iran, Italy, and China are all at a 3-4% death rate while South Korea is sitting at 0.6% Is it possible that SK got hit with a different strain of the virus or are there other factors at work? I've heard reports that the part of Italy it got loose in is filled with old people which could explain the higher fatality rate, but I've been unable to confirm anything.
Don't forget the part medical staff being overwhelmed plays. The higher rates in China are in Hubei where they have the most patients. Take John Hopkins numbers.

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps ... 7b48e9ecf6

Guangdong 1351 confirmed, only 7 deaths and 1181 recovered for fatality rate of 0.52%
Henan 1272 confirmed, only 22 deaths, 1239 recovered for fatality rate of 1.72%
Zhejian 1215 confirmed, 1 death, 1124 recovered for fatality rate of 0.08%
And lets go more extreme Qinghai only 18 confirmed, 0 deaths for fatality rate of 0%

The different strain could play a factor, but also keep in mind it appears to give more symptoms, so selection pressure would mean that the health system would suspect a patient with this strain to be sick and target them first.

MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

First Maryland Cases from Governor's facebook:
The state’s Public Health Laboratory in Baltimore has confirmed the first three positive cases of novel coronavirus in Maryland. The patients, who contracted the virus while traveling overseas, are in good condition. We have been actively preparing for this situation over the last several weeks across all levels of government. I encourage all Marylanders not to panic, but to take this seriously and to stay informed as we continue to provide updates.

I will hold a press conference tonight at approximately 8:00 p.m. to provide additional information.

bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

So far, New Zealand has 4 cases. Sure, that's going to increase.

But what really worries me is that the only symptom COVID-19 has that the various winter colds/flus don't is exhaustion.
Grand Moff Yenchin
Sith Devotee

Post by Grand Moff Yenchin »

Korea's strategy is focusing on rapid testing, which seems another reason why they're having lower mortality rates.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... s-outbreak
Virus Testing Blitz Appears to Keep Korea Death Rate Low
By Heejin Kim, Sohee Kim, and Claire Che

Highly contagious and manifesting in some with little or no symptoms, the coronavirus has the world struggling to keep up. But when it comes to containing the epidemic, one country may be cracking the code -- by doubling down on testing.

South Korea is experiencing the largest virus epidemic outside of China, where the pneumonia-causing pathogen first took root late last year. But unlike China, which locked down a province of more than 60 million people to try and stop the illness spreading, Korea hasn’t put any curbs on internal movement in place, instead testing hundreds of thousands of people everywhere from clinics to drive-through stations.

It appears to be paying off in a lower-than-average mortality rate. The outbreak is also showing signs of being largely contained in Daegu, the city about 150 miles south of Seoul where most of the country’s more than 5,700 infections have emerged. South Korea reported the rate of new cases dropped three days in a row.

It’s an approach born out of bitter experience.

An outbreak of Middle East Respiratory Syndrome in 2015 killed 38 people in South Korea, with a lack of kits to test for the MERS pathogen meaning infected patients went from hospital to hospital seeking help, spreading the virus widely. Afterward, the country created a system to allow rapid approval of testing kits for viruses which have the potential to cause pandemics.

When the novel coronavirus emerged, that system allowed regulators to collaborate quickly with local biotech companies and researchers to develop testing kits based on a genetic sequence of the virus released by China in mid-January. Firms were then granted accreditation to make and sell the kits within weeks --a process that usually takes a year.

In a short space of time, South Korea has managed to test more than 140,000 people for the novel coronavirus, using kits with sensitivity rates of over 95%, according to the director of the Korean Society for Laboratory Medicine.

That’s in stark contrast to countries like its neighbor Japan and the U.S., where the issues China experienced early on -- with unreliable and inadequate testing resulting in thousands of infected patients not being quarantined until it was too late -- are now threatening to play out.

Testing widely has meant South Korea knows where its infections are centered, and so far they’ve been able to keep them largely contained with outbreaks beyond Daegu in the minority. In the capital Seoul, home to 10 million people, there have only been 103 infections.

President Moon Jae-in has cast the virus fight as a battle, saying the country is “at war,” with a pathogen that’s killed 3,200 people globally and sickened more than 94,000. With parliamentary elections due in April, his government is under pressure to curb the outbreak and has faced criticism for not closing the border fully to travelers from China. Moon’s administration is seizing on the country’s testing apparatus as a solution.

The emphasis on diagnosis is also being credited with helping patients get treatment early, bringing the mortality rate from the virus to under 1% -- below every other affected country save Singapore, where the outbreak is on a much smaller scale.

“The coronavirus is highly contagious and even those without symptoms can transmit the virus, which makes it hard to stop infection among communities,” said Lee Hyukmin, director at the Korean Society for Laboratory Medicine and a professor at Yonsei Severance Hospital. “Without enough testing capabilities, the death rate will be high as the delay worsens the damage in the lungs.”

By late February, when South Korea’s outbreak began to accelerate, four local companies had approval to sell kits to test for the virus. The country is now able to test more than 10,000 people a day. In neighboring Japan, only 2,684 people in total have been tested as of March 3.

The tests can deliver results within hours, with sensitivity rates of over 90% and are relatively easy to administer. Officials in Seoul have started operating “drive-through” testing stations in three districts where people can get tested without leaving their cars.

The country is also exporting its testing kits elsewhere, including to China, Europe and Pakistan, according to the manufacturers.

Seegene Inc., a diagnostics company based in Seoul, started developing its coronavirus testing kit during the Lunar New Year holiday in late January.

“It was an adventurous investment for the company to start developing the test kit, as we weren’t sure how contagious the virus would be at the time,” said Park Yo-han, an investor-relations manager at Seegene. “We thought we needed to contribute to society.”

The company’s stock fell slightly Thursday after soaring 21% this year on expectations its sales will grow.

While pharmaceutical giants like Roche Holding AG have also developed reliable coronavirus testing kits, Seegene can churn out tests more quickly using a production system automated with artificial intelligence, said Shin Jae-hoon, an analyst at Hanwha Investment & Securities Co.

The country’s inroads in test kit production also reflect South Korea’s position as a powerhouse for complex manufacturing, with electronic parts like memory chips and OLED displays that go into smartphones and laptops made there. The country spends more of its economic output on scientific and technological research than its most advanced rivals like Japan and Germany.

In Hubei province, the region of China which has been devastated by the virus and is still under mass quarantine, the shortage of tests and their tendency to throw up false negatives meant that thousands of infected patients were not hospitalized before they spread the virus widely to other people.

“China used massive social distancing to respond to the outbreak, but that would be difficult to replicate in most countries and might have adverse economic consequences,” said Ben Cowling, associate professor at the School of Public Health of University of Hong Kong.

Similar issues are now cropping up elsewhere. Japan is facing criticism for a failure to test widely and well: two passengers let off a cruise ship the country locked down for weeks in Yokohama harbor to contain the virus tested positive after they returned home. Local officials from Tokyo to further-flung prefectures like Wakayama say they don’t have enough test kits.

The U.S. case tally -- at 126 infections and 11 deaths -- has some speculating the country just isn’t testing enough. New York and Florida have complained of faulty tests and a shortage of supply, and fewer than 2,000 people have been been checked for the virus nationally as of last week.

Similar scenarios are playing out other virus hot spots like Iran and Italy. Expanded testing will likely show that transmission within communities has been taking place for longer than realized, said Raina MacIntyre, professor of infectious diseases at the University of New South Wales. “In the US, the emergence of cases with no risk factors suggests that community transmission is a serious concern,” she said.

For South Korea, widespread testing has helped it get a handle on the scale of the epidemic, but once diagnosed with the virus patients need to be isolated and treated. In Daegu, hospital beds are running out and public anger is rising over a shortage of masks and other supplies.

“We are testing people on the biggest scale, at the fastest pace in the world, and disclosing the results transparently and instantly to public,” Moon said in a speech on Tuesday. “We believe this is the best thing we can do for now in order to prevent further spread in local communities.”
1st Plt. Comm. of the Warwolves
Member of Justice League
"People can't see Buddha so they say he doesn't have a body, since his body is formed of atoms, of course you can't see it. Saying he doesn't have a body is correct"- Li HongZhi
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

MKSheppard wrote: 2020-03-05 06:07pm
BREAKING: Bethlehem will be put on lockdown from midnight due to coronavirus - Jerusalem Post

Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas has declared a state of emergency due to coronavirus; all schools and universities will be closed - Jerusalem Post https://t.co/xNt3BiQPtZ

The decision to put Bethlehem on lockdown was taken by Israel in coordination with the Palestinian Authority, according to local media. As of midnight, no one is allowed to enter or leave the city. https://t.co/xNt3Bj8qSz

OOOF.
It's Lent, and Easter next month. There's Christian Pilgrims EVERYWHERE in The Holy Land this time of year. I can understand why they shut it down, but WOW that's going to be a nightmare.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

First community spread case confirmed in Canada, in BC:

https://ctvnews.ca/health/canada-confir ... -1.4841249
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

https://www.ausdoc.com.au/news/left-dar ... IifQ%3D%3D

Meanwhile in Australia
'Left in the dark': 90% of GPs denied the equipment to safely test patients for COVID-19
Results from AusDoc's survey show that GPs are alarmed by the lack of government backing
3 minutes to read 6th March 2020By Paul Smith
Almost 90% of GPs say their practices are lacking adequate PPE to safely test patients with suspected SARS-CoV-2.

Doctor
As the threat of the virus increases, along with the number of locally transmitted cases, the AMA and the RACGP are warning that practices are being denied the resources to respond.

An Australian Doctor survey shows frontline GPs are alarmed, with one doctor writing: “I feel like we have been left in the dark."

Only 8% of the more than 400 doctors taking part said their practice had been given the equipment to safely take swabs from patients.

mr friendly guy
The Doctor

China claimed they could provide 1 million testing kits by the end of the week, and only produce 75,000. That's pathetic, damn commies. Oh wait, I got them mixed up with the US.
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/jgea ... ady-a-bust
WASHINGTON — The Trump administration will fail to meet its promise to make 1 million tests for novel coronavirus available by the end of this week, in a stumble likely to exacerbate criticism that President Trump’s response to the outbreak has been too slow.

The real figure will be less than half a million tests by the end of the week, Heath and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar told reporters on Capitol Hill Thursday, adding that most of the new capacity will come from a private company called IDT. The government will supply less than a tenth of the 1 million figure announced on Monday, he said.

“By the end of the week, we believe we’ll have shipped enough for 75,000 people to be tested,” Azar said, adding that IDT believes it will be able to supply enough materials to test “about 400,000 people.”

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

mr friendly guy wrote: 2020-03-06 05:13am China claimed they could provide 1 million testing kits by the end of the week, and only produce 75,000. That's pathetic, damn commies. Oh wait, I got them mixed up with the US.
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/jgea ... ady-a-bust
WASHINGTON — The Trump administration will fail to meet its promise to make 1 million tests for novel coronavirus available by the end of this week, in a stumble likely to exacerbate criticism that President Trump’s response to the outbreak has been too slow.

The real figure will be less than half a million tests by the end of the week, Heath and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar told reporters on Capitol Hill Thursday, adding that most of the new capacity will come from a private company called IDT. The government will supply less than a tenth of the 1 million figure announced on Monday, he said.

“By the end of the week, we believe we’ll have shipped enough for 75,000 people to be tested,” Azar said, adding that IDT believes it will be able to supply enough materials to test “about 400,000 people.”
Must you turn every single post into "The West is bad, therefore China's dictatorship is good"?

Anyway, Trump is a walking sewage pit. But we all knew that already.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

mr friendly guy
The Doctor

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2020-03-06 05:44am
Must you turn every single post into "The West is bad, therefore China's dictatorship is good"?

Dude, you and one other have done post and run articles, which bash China with claims which have can be refuted by simply constructing a simple time line. Your articles criticise China for taking a week to respond to a virus once they found out it had human to human transmission, while oblivious to the fact that the US took 6 fucking months to declare a state of emergency after Swine Flu was identified. China literally responds 20 times faster than the US and China still bad. Your lack of self awareness is amusing. But then its not surprising, this lack of self awareness is quite prevalent among western "journalists."

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

mr friendly guy wrote: 2020-03-06 06:29am
The Romulan Republic wrote: 2020-03-06 05:44am

Dude, you and one other have done post and run articles, which bash China with claims which have can be refuted by simply constructing a simple time line. Your articles criticise China for taking a week to respond to a virus once they found out it had human to human transmission, while oblivious to the fact that the US took 6 fucking months to declare a state of emergency after Swine Flu was identified. China literally responds 20 times faster than the US and China still bad. Your lack of self awareness is amusing. But then its not surprising, this lack of self awareness is quite prevalent among western "journalists."
Wow, you really believe "The US did something bad" disproves a criticism of China's government, don't you? The possibility that both could be in the wrong simply does not enter your mind.

Also, nice how you dismissed every single journalist in the Western world on the basis of nationality. Nothing like an ad hominem by way of nationalist bigotry to raise the standard of debate (and yeah, I'm sure you'll accuse me of being anti-Chinese, but unlike you, I criticize governments, not nationalities).

mr friendly guy
The Doctor

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2020-03-06 07:35am Wow, you really believe "The US did something bad" disproves a criticism of China's government, don't you? The possibility that both could be in the wrong simply does not enter your mind.
1. Not really. You miss the point as usual, which isn't that US bad therefore China good, but we need to apply the same standard. I am not saying China gets a free pass because its China, I am saying it should get the same treatment as the US because of principles of fairness, which in this case just happens to be a free pass. If the US gets a free pass despite taking 6 months to react, China should equally get the same treatment even if you erroneously believed they took 1 month to react.

2. If you think China is wrong to react in the space of one week, then say it. Don't post articles with bullshit saying they took a month to react, or two weeks or some other factually incorrect time period. If you think China is wrong to let workers go back to work with precautions say it. Don't post a bullshit article about how Xi wants to make GDP numbers and are sending people back to work without mentioning the safety precautions they are taking to protect workers. Or better yet, do some research into the context of things, which will at least make you superior to a bunch of Western journalists in terms of doing work. :D
The Romulan Republic wrote: 2020-03-06 07:35am Also, nice how you dismissed every single journalist in the Western world on the basis of nationality. Nothing like an ad hominem by way of nationalist bigotry to raise the standard of debate (and yeah, I'm sure you'll accuse me of being anti-Chinese, but unlike you, I criticize governments, not nationalities).
I said it was prevalent, not 100%. Obviously not 100% of them lack self awareness. There is Julian Assange. :lol: Ok, I triggered you enough with that. I mean there is Abby Martin who I donated to before to help her show. You might know her as a person the land of the free is trying to censor.

MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

She's here!
Maryland declared a state of emergency today as three Montgomery County residents tested positive for coronavirus, state officials said Thursday evening.
https://www.montgomeryschoolsmd.org/coronavirus/
Tonight, we learned that the first 3 cases of Coronavirus (COVID-19) that were identified in the state of Maryland are from Montgomery County. The patients are identified as a married couple in their 70s and an individual in their 50s. They contracted the virus while traveling overseas. State officials have shared that they do not believe these individuals have had contact with MCPS students. As you know, we have been preparing for this situation through our interagency coordination with the Montgomery County Department of Health and Human Services and Office of Emergency Management and Homeland Security. At this time, we are following guidance from the Department of Health and Human Services and our schools will remain open. As we move forward, we are preparing for the possibility of school closures in the future should this become necessary. We encourage all MCPS families to remain vigilant through this situation and consult your health provider if you are experiencing symptoms that you may believe are related to the coronavirus. We will continue to provide updates as this situation develops.

Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Man you know the best part of flying around the country for conferences?

All the coughing and touching and handshakes. If I had to count I shook hands or was coughed on at least fifty times during the meetings or traveling in the airport or sitting in front of the person who I think had black lung behind me. The chances of my personal exposure to COVID-19 might be 1-10000 while my chances of exposure to ordinary influenza are likely 1-1 both are going to suck.

Also it's in my area

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton