Largest known Tyrannosaurus Rex discovered in Canada.

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Largest known Tyrannosaurus Rex discovered in Canada.

Post by The Romulan Republic »

https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/26/world/bi ... index.html
(CNN)Paleontologists have discovered the biggest Tyrannosaurus rex fossil yet found, according to a new study. The fossil is also the largest dinosaur ever uncovered in Canada.

About 66 million years ago, the fossil -- nicknamed "Scotty" -- belonged to a 42-foot-long Tyrannosaurus roaming prehistoric Saskatchewan. When researchers studied the leg bones, they found that the dinosaur probably weighed in at about 9.7 tons. That makes this Tyrannosaurus bigger than any other carnivorous dinosaur.

The study was published last week in The Anatomical Record.

"This is the rex of rexes," Scott Persons, lead author of the study and a postdoctoral researcher in the University of Alberta's Department of Biological Sciences, said in a statement. "There is considerable size variability among Tyrannosaurus. Some individuals were lankier than others and some were more robust. Scotty exemplifies the robust. Take careful measurements of its legs, hips, and even shoulder, and Scotty comes out a bit heftier than other T. rex specimens."

Scotty has quite a history, and he wasn't dug out of the ground recently. Rather, the fossil was discovered in 1991, but his bones were locked in hard sandstone. It took more than a decade to remove the stone, fully assemble the fossil and study Scotty to realize how different he was from other T. rex fossils.

The nickname comes from the celebratory scotch that was imbibed on the night the fossil was discovered.

"Scotty is the oldest T. rex known," Persons said. "By which I mean, it would have had the most candles on its last birthday cake. You can get an idea of how old a dinosaur is by cutting into its bones and studying its growth patterns. Scotty is all old growth."

T. rexes weren't known for living long. They were quick to grow and often died young. Scotty was in his early 30s when he died, and he carried the battle scars to show how hard he fought to live.

Researchers cataloged the injuries recorded on his bones and discovered an infected jaw, broken ribs and what looks to be a bite from a fellow T. rex on his tail.

"By Tyrannosaurus standards, it had an unusually long life. And it was a violent one," Persons said. "Riddled across the skeleton are pathologies -- spots where scarred bone records large injuries."

If you want to see Scotty for yourself, the impressive fossil will be on display in a new exhibit at the Royal Saskatchewan Museum beginning in May.

"I think there will always be bigger discoveries to be made," Persons said. "But as of right now, this particular Tyrannosaurus is the largest terrestrial predator known to science."
Pretty impressive dinosaur. Of course, claims of the "largest dinosaur", etc. generally need to be taken with a grain of salt, but Rex has pretty effectively defended its title as the largest known terrestrial predatory over the last century-plus.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Re: Largest known Tyrannosaurus Rex discovered in Canada.

Post by mr friendly guy »

T-rex has been surpassed as the largest terrestial predator known to science for a while. Giganotosaurus springs to mind.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giganotosaurus

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Larg ... ropods.svg
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

mr friendly guy wrote: 2019-03-28 08:13am T-rex has been surpassed as the largest terrestial predator known to science for a while. Giganotosaurus springs to mind.

Recent research have suggest the T-Rex is even bigger.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

ray245 wrote: 2019-03-28 08:22am
mr friendly guy wrote: 2019-03-28 08:13am T-rex has been surpassed as the largest terrestial predator known to science for a while. Giganotosaurus springs to mind.

If we take "Scotty" as the largest T-rex at 42 feet, its around the ballpark for giganotosaurus which estimates at 39 to 43 feet. However against Spinosaurus (another terrestial predator which has surpassed T rex in size) is pegged at 41 to 59 feet.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

And none of these are based on complete specimen, and only estimations of size.
This one is a actual specimen, not an estimation, and in the uper range of the Gigantosauros estimation range.
Unless they find a complete one and prove it to be that large, the T.Rex has the title...

Spinosaurus is a differnet thing - that one could be significantly larger, mostly due to the (semi?)aquatic lifestyle.
But again - it's only estimations based on a few bones, and also a question if you would call it a terrestrial predator due to the unknown lifestyle, imho.
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

mr friendly guy wrote: 2019-03-28 10:46am
ray245 wrote: 2019-03-28 08:22am

If we take "Scotty" as the largest T-rex at 42 feet, its around the ballpark for giganotosaurus which estimates at 39 to 43 feet. However against Spinosaurus (another terrestial predator which has surpassed T rex in size) is pegged at 41 to 59 feet.
As I noted in the OP, there tend to be a lot of claims around which dinosaur is biggest that don't stand up very well. There have been multiple challengers to Rex's status as the largest predator, but last I heard, while some where of similar length, Rex is thought to edge them out in weight/bulk. Basically, full-grown Tyrannosaurs were really hefty beasts.

Largest confirmed plant eater (again, there have been multiple challengers based on very partial remains) is Argintinosaurus right now, IIRC.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

I think that's the big problem with alot of dinosaur size claims/estimates...

A lot of species do not have a complete/near complete skeleton to work with.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Yeah. Rex has an advantage there, as IIRC Rex fossils are quite common, and some of them are nearly complete.

Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Suck on that, Giganotosaurus! I... just really like Rex. It was the best Metal Gear. :P
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!