Female mutant crayfish clones sold as pets now in Canada

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Female mutant crayfish clones sold as pets now in Canada

Post by Soontir C'boath »

1. Well now, ladies. Do not take this seriously, please.
  2. The question that was not asked and answered is, are they just as good to eat as Louisiana crayfish?
CBC wrote:Female mutant crayfish clones have landed, but government recommends you not buy one

According to a new study published in Nature, Ecology and Evolution, the all-female marbled crayfish reproduces by cloning at a rapid rate, earning it comparisons to the fictional Tribble alien-species on Star Trek.

"If you have one animal, essentially, three months later, you will have 200 or 300," Wolfgang Stein, a neurophysiologist at Illinois State University and one of the researchers on the study, told CBC's As It Happens.

Stein said this specific species has only been around for about 25 to 30 years when a female descendant of two slough crayfish inherited an extra set of chromosomes .

And that meant she didn't need any male crayfish to reproduce.

"The whole species is essentially female," Stein said.

The population exploded when they became hot commodities in the pet trade, especially among German aquarium hobbyists in the 1990s, said Stein. Now thriving populations are found in Japan, in Madagascar and Europe, prompting the European Union to ban the species from being produced, distributed, or released in the wild.

Illegal to release
The Department of Fisheries and Oceans says there haven't been any reports of wild marbled crayfish, known as procambarus virginalis, in Canada, but they're carried by some pet stores and a look around Kijiji.ca shows sellers offering the bizarre animal at cheap prices in Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal and Halifax.

"Within a few months you will have a very large colony of crayfish," reads one Toronto-area ad.

While there's nothing illegal about importing the marbled crayfish to Canada, the government is suggesting people don't own the cloning species.

"Based on what is known about the reproductive behaviour of the marbled crayfish, we do not recommend Canadians keep these animals as pets," said Becky Cudmore, regional manager with Fisheries and Ocean's aquatic invasive species program.

"Human release of animals is one of the ways invasive species are introduced and become established in new areas."

Cudmore said anyone who already owns marbled crayfish should ensure the pet is contained.

"Unauthorized release of any aquatic animal into a waterbody from which they did not originate is illegal under the regulations," she said.

Stein's team looked at the island country of Madagascar as a case study for what happens when the crayfish find their way to the wild.

When the species was spotted in Madagascar in 2007 they occupied an area the size of Rhode Island, explained Stein.

"In 2017, they occupy the area the size of Ohio. That's a hundred-fold increase in just a decade."

His team warned that the crayfish will have to be monitored to make sure the bubbling marbled crayfish population doesn't negatively impact other underwater communities.

Brie Edwards, a research scientist at Laurentian University, said more study would be needed to figure out how the marbled crayfish could affect Canada's ecosystem if it was ever released in the wild.

Since the slough crayfish originates from the southern states, it's not certain the marbled crayfish could survive in Ontario waters, said Edwards, who also works for the Ontario Ministry of the Environment and Climate Change.

"The likelihood that establishment would have negative implications for native species or ecosystems requires research and proper risk assessment," she said.
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Re: Female mutant crayfish clones sold as pets now in Canada

Post by Simon_Jester »

As far as I can determine they're basically exoskeletal aquatic tribbles with pincers.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Do they taste good?

Because I can see a potential solution to both "crayfish tribbles reproduce really fast" and "overfishing" here...
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

The problem is that if you release crayfish tribbles-with-pincers into the environment to fish them, they will outbreed all other forms of life in their ecological niche and most other marine shellfish get swamped in a sea of tribbles-with-pincers. Who will then eat all the food and cause ecological collapse, because of course they will. Because they're tribbles-with-pincers.

Factory farming tribble-crayfish might be productive, but it's risky, because letting even one escape into the wild can be disastrous, and you don't even need a breeding pair. Because tribbles-with-pincers.
Soontir C'boath
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

I wouldn't go as far as factory farming. If they reproduce as fast as 200 from 1 crayfish in a couple months, families can probably harvest a meal or two a week on them.
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

I never said you needed more than one pincer-tribble to run a pincer-tribble factory.

That's the problem.
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Soontir C'boath wrote: 2018-02-12 03:06pm I wouldn't go as far as factory farming. If they reproduce as fast as 200 from 1 crayfish in a couple months, families can probably harvest a meal or two a week on them.
Or glut the live bait business in Oklahoma into bankruptcy.
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
—29th Scroll, 6th Verse of Ape Law
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
---Doctor Christine Blasey-Ford
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

That sounds extra double plus likely to result in escaping mutant pincer-tribbles eating everything and destroying the world.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Shouldn't it be possible to factory-farm these in big-ass tanks? If you can set up a production line that basically turns these from live crawdads to cooked frozen crawdads, that might do the trick... of course one would have to establish a market first...
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

Canada, why the fuck aren't these already illegal? Seriously.
Shouldn't it be possible to factory-farm these in big-ass tanks? If you can set up a production line that basically turns these from live crawdads to cooked frozen crawdads, that might do the trick... of course one would have to establish a market first...
They're tasty. There's a market.
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

Hell yeah they are. I get them at this one Cajun place downtown, but there's an even better place in little Saigon that keeps everything alive until the moment it goes in the pot. There's a lot of French food in that neighborhood, for reasons that should probably be obvious.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Elheru Aran wrote: 2018-02-12 06:43pm Shouldn't it be possible to factory-farm these in big-ass tanks? If you can set up a production line that basically turns these from live crawdads to cooked frozen crawdads, that might do the trick... of course one would have to establish a market first...
The problem isn't that you can't do this, the problem is they're freaking arthro-tribble-pods. All it takes is one bozo at a bankrupt restaurant thinking to pour out the crawdad tank into the nearest pond and it's off to the races.
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Simon_Jester wrote: 2018-02-12 04:29pm That sounds extra double plus likely to result in escaping mutant pincer-tribbles eating everything and destroying the world.
Not if I eat them first. Let me at that crawdad.
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
Soontir C'boath

By the way, tribbles is not an apt name when zerglings and tyranids come to mind. When they inevitably have to devour human flesh to sustain themselves, we shall become a hive world and set out with bioships to eat other life teeming planets.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Did everyone miss the part where these things are ALREADY GROWING WILD IN MADAGASCAR?!?!?
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

I guess that means the people in Madagascar will have to... just smile and wave, boys, smile and wave.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Soontir C'boath wrote: 2018-02-13 12:10am By the way, tribbles is not an apt name when zerglings and tyranids come to mind. When they inevitably have to devour human flesh to sustain themselves, we shall become a hive world and set out with bioships to eat other life teeming planets.
Hah.

Seriously though, I don't think crayfish eat live people and I'm pretty sure they'd be bad at it if they tried. :P
LadyTevar wrote: 2018-02-13 01:08am Did everyone miss the part where these things are ALREADY GROWING WILD IN MADAGASCAR?!?!?
No, and I think we all agree they're a highly dangerous invasive species with the potential to turn ecosystems inside out. The fact that they're already doing this somewhere in the world just highlights that.

Well, okay, maybe Cinnabar's laughing it off. He's unflappable like that. :P
Patroklos
Sith Devotee

Post by Patroklos »

Simon_Jester wrote: 2018-02-12 11:05pm
Elheru Aran wrote: 2018-02-12 06:43pm Shouldn't it be possible to factory-farm these in big-ass tanks? If you can set up a production line that basically turns these from live crawdads to cooked frozen crawdads, that might do the trick... of course one would have to establish a market first...
The problem isn't that you can't do this, the problem is they're freaking arthro-tribble-pods. All it takes is one bozo at a bankrupt restaurant thinking to pour out the crawdad tank into the nearest pond and it's off to the races.
Restrict the factories to places they can't possibly live long in the wild, and require them to be processed on site. Deserts. In the case of Canada, anywhere the natural water body water temperature is certain death.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

If we were very, very hard up for meat I could get behind doing something like this, but I don't think we are.

That said, I could totally get behind, say, using a tank of these arthro-tribble-pods as a source of protein on, say, a moon base. Somewhere they won't dismantle ecosystems.

EDIT: Patroklos, I get that the idea is to put them in places they can't survive locally, but experience with the handling of invasive species shows that it's usually better to do everything in one's power to keep them from gaining at toehold anywhere in the ecosystem, rather than trying to introduce them when convenient while keeping them away from the places that really matter.
KraytKing
Jedi Knight

Post by KraytKing »

Just to be clear: are we talking about lobsters or the little look-alikes three inches long that you find in rivers?
If you don't know your rights, you don't have any.
--Mace

The Old Testament has as much validity for the foundation of a religion as the pattern my recent case of insect bites formed on my ass.
--Solauren

I always get nervous when I hear the word Christian.
--Mountain

Brought to you by Carl's Jr.
Khaat
Jedi Master

Post by Khaat »

KraytKing wrote: 2018-03-07 02:05pm Just to be clear: are we talking about lobsters or the little look-alikes three inches long that you find in rivers?
The little ones.
Rule #1: Believe the autocrat. He means what he says.
Rule #2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule #3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule #4: Be outraged.
Rule #5: Don’t make compromises.
KraytKing
Jedi Knight

Post by KraytKing »

That's what I thought. How do eat them? Like softshell crabs? It seems like they don't have enough meat on them to justify picking them apart.
If you don't know your rights, you don't have any.
--Mace

The Old Testament has as much validity for the foundation of a religion as the pattern my recent case of insect bites formed on my ass.
--Solauren

I always get nervous when I hear the word Christian.
--Mountain

Brought to you by Carl's Jr.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

I don't eat them often, but generally I snap them apart between head and body and pick out the edible bits.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

That's how most people eat them, after boiling them. Others remove the meat from the shell, bread them in cornmeal, and deep fry them, usually in peanut oil.

Either way is okay. Especially w8th a bowl of hot, buttered rice.
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

Think of them as supersized shrimp - however you prefer to consume shrimp, you can do the same dish with them.
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.