SpaceX's Falcon Heavy launches Tesla Roadster into space

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

SpaceX's Falcon Heavy launches Tesla Roadster into space

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

SpaceX's new rocket - the Falcon Heavy - made its long-awaited first test flight when it blasted off from Florida's Kennedy Space Center on Tuesday afternoon, with a red car strapped to its front.
After successfully lifting clear of its launch pad, it became the world's most powerful rocket in use today.
The launch was due to happen at 6.30pm GMT but was been delayed to 8.45pm due to high winds.

The Heavy is equipped with three boosters and 27 engines designed to provide about 5 million pounds of thrust.
Two of the boosters are recycled and programmed to return for another touchdown on land.
SpaceX chief Elon Musk has put his Tesla Roadster sports car on board - a cherry-red convertible that has a space-suited dummy at the wheel and David Bowie's Space Oddity on its stereo.
Link.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Re: SpaceX's Falcon Heavy launches Tesla Roadster into space

Post by Simon_Jester »

Okay, the car was legitimately a nice touch.

Reminds me of the good old days... :D
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
GuppyShark
Sith Devotee

Post by GuppyShark »

Before anyone gets butthurt: The roadster was a replacement for the usual payload on a test flight, which is a hunk of concrete or metal.
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

Elon is just sending his car ahead for the trip he's gonna take - he knows it will take years to find a decent parking space on mars.

I liked the spacesuit, though. Certainly going to get them some extra test data on long time space exposure.
Anybody knowing how long the roadster is going to live-stream/ send telemetry?
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

LaCroix wrote: 2018-02-07 07:01am Elon is just sending his car ahead for the trip he's gonna take - he knows it will take years to find a decent parking space on mars.

I liked the spacesuit, though. Certainly going to get them some extra test data on long time space exposure.
Anybody knowing how long the roadster is going to live-stream/ send telemetry?
The batteries on the stack (Roadster + Falcon Heavy second stage) were spec'ed to last 12 hours. So they were done by the time that you made your post.
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev