Creationism in major newspapers

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

Wicked Pilot
Moderator Emeritus

Creationism in major newspapers

Post by Wicked Pilot »

The following is not from some creationist website, or some other form of propoganda. It can be found in probably every major newspaper in the U.S.

Take a look at http://www.townhall.com/columnists/calt ... 0827.shtml
The most basic assumption about the world is that it does not contradict itself.
TrailerParkJawa
Sith Acolyte

Post by TrailerParkJawa »

Cal Thomas is featured from time to time in the San Jose Mercury News. My local paper of choice. Sometimes I agree with him, this time I do not.

It amazes me how poorly people understand the difference between science and creationism. They just dont get it, that there is no science behind creationism.

The details of evolution are always up for grabs, but the general concept is not.
Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Post by Lagmonster »

I read a few of that particular writer's other works. He is heartily pro-Christianity. He does cite two examples of scientists who mention god, but he's a moron for thinking it has anything to do with the argument at hand. He drags out two quotes from men who were scientists and probably did believe in god. He uses them to try to disprove the fact that no reputable scientist supports creationism. And quotes two dead guys from a hundred years ago to do it. Way to go, bonehead.

As for the story material itself, yeah, they're morons. I could go into detail why, but there's a whole fucking website attached to this board that does it as well as I.
Note: I'm semi-retired from the board, so if you need something, please be patient.
Wicked Pilot
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Wicked Pilot »

By rebuttal to the article. (Which I plan on sending a modified copy straight to this idiot)

Cal Thomas wrote:The Cobb County, Ga., School Board voted unanimously Aug. 22 to consider a pluralistic approach to the origin of the human race
In other words, the fundies made a small victory against science and reason.
rather than the mandated theory of evolution.
Good thing the heliocentric solar system is mandatory also. We wouldn't want those geocentric nuts taking over.
The board will review a proposal which says the district "believes that discussion of disputed views of academic subjects is a necessary element of providing a balanced education, including the study of the origin of the species."
*Nudge nudge wink wink* "we want Genesis."
Immediately, pro-evolution forces jumped from their trees and started behaving as if someone had stolen their bananas.
I know it's hard to see, but this author is a creationist.
Apparently, academic freedom is for other subjects.
New Right Wing motto: Religious indoctrination of public school kids is "academic freedom."
What do evolutionists fear?
The same that Galileo feared. Christian wackos subverting science and the government.
If scientific evidence for creation is academically unsound and outrageously untrue, why not present the evidence and allow students to decide which view makes more sense?
Any study of biology, geology, astronomy, etc shows that creationism is utter bullshit.
Pro-evolution forces say that no "reputable scientist" believes in the creation model.
Yeah, he's right. A wopping 2% believe.
Many of the scientists supporting this position hold impressive credentials in science." (Larry Hatfield, "Educators Against Darwin.")
One example, I'm impressed. I don't suppose Larry Harfield isn't the product of a lifetime of Christian indoctrination.
Those who claim no "reputable scientist" holds to a creation model of the universe must want to strip credentials from such giants as Johann Kepler (1571-1630), the founder of physical astronomy
He's quoting an astronomer who lived before the Theory of Evolution existed. I wonder if he can find a quote of Kepler saying the the sun revolves around the earth, and the universe is 6000 years old.
Werner Von Braun (1912-1977), the father of space science, wrote: "...the vast mysteries of the universe should only confirm our belief in the certainty of its Creator. I find it as difficult to understand a scientist who does not acknowledge the presence of a superior rationality behind the existence of the universe as it is to comprehend a theologian who would deny the advances of science."
More irrevalance to evolution.
There are only two models for the origin of humans: evolution and creation.
False Dilemma. Last time there was more than one religion that claims to know the "truth."
If evolution occurs, it does so too slowly to be observed.
It has been observed.
Both theories are accepted on faith by those who believe in them. Neither theory can be tested scientifically because neither model can be observed or repeated.
Man must have never heard of the fossil record.
The parallel views should be taught in Cobb County, Ga., and everywhere else, and let the most persuasive evidence win.
Evolution won. Evolution won a long time ago. It is dickheads like these people that can't say uncle so they resort to lies, desception, and appeal to ignorance to try to turn public opinion to the dark side. As Yoda said "never underestimate the power of the Dark Side."
The most basic assumption about the world is that it does not contradict itself.
BioDroid
Youngling

Post by BioDroid »

Wow, did you notice all the holes in the guys arguments. When he states that some credible scientists believe in creation, he quotes an astronomer and Von Braun, neither of the quotes come out as a criticism against evolution or even an affirmation of creationism, rather they are just vague thoughts about their belief in a higher power.
I....I....I'm sorry...don't know what came over me there.
TrailerParkJawa
Sith Acolyte

Post by TrailerParkJawa »

Those who claim no "reputable scientist" holds to a creation model of the universe must want to strip credentials from such giants as Johann Kepler (1571-1630), the founder of physical astronomy. Kepler wrote, "Since we astronomers are priests of the highest God in regard to the book of nature, it befits us to be thoughtful, not of the glory of our minds, but rather, above all else, of the glory of God."
This is the one that stood out the most for me. What does Keplar have to do with Evolution vs. Creationism? This guy died in 1630!

He was not around when the theory of evolution was formed.

It also occurs to me, that you might not want to uphold someone who came up with ideas that were contrary to religious teachings on how the universe worked as a champion of creationism.
Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi
What Kind of Username is That?

Post by Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi »

Students would prefer Creationsism being taught because it's so easy to explain, and could probably be summed up in half a class, freeing up more class time for pseudoscience. Of course, students would rather have fast food for lunch and year-round summer also.
BotM: Just another monkey|HAB
Colonel Olrik
The Spaminator

Post by Colonel Olrik »

2 + 2 = It depends on the mood of the Lord
And thet get the school prosecuted for not respecting my religious beliefs.

And Kepler actually went against the Church by stating that the Sun was the center of the Universe and that Earth (and the other planets had an eliptic movement around it.

He studied the evidence and facing the facts rejected the Ptolomaic ideas and made a new theory which explained them.

Fortunelly for him, the Church was (believe it) a bit more liberal than in the following century and didn't prosecute him. Galileu was not so lucky (and had less friends).

Wouldn't be good if Cal Thomas had bothered looking for the entire story?
And maybe followed his example?
Messon
Redshirt

Post by Messon »

"Why are believers in one model -- evolution -- seeking to impose their faith on those who hold that there is scientific evidence which supports the other model? It's because they fear they will lose their influence and academic power base after a free and open debate. They are like political dictators who oppose democracy, fearing it will rob them of power."

So basically EVERYONE who thinks that the creation model should not be taught and evolution should be taught in school are EVIL COMMUNIST DICTATORS who are afraid of loosing power. Evolutionist could not POSSIBLY win in a fair debate over which has more scientific backing. It's all part of a consperacy, you know.
Blaze
Youngling

Post by Blaze »

wat really bothers me is these idiots say that creationism must be right(with no evidence) but there are over 20 different creation stories and hundreds of religions and gods wat makes them think theres should be tought in skool than...ooo say the hindu creationism or the ancient greeks.
they'll say those others are just made up fairy stories but of course theres is true :roll:

sorry about that rant just had 2 get it off my chest after reading that crap

anyway back on topic :)
Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Post by Lagmonster »

Argh.

I've said it before, I'll say it again: Genesis was directly translated from Sumerian myths, period. All that creation-as-it-was-in-the-bible up through to the flood and Babel bullshit is just a story made up by Sumerian priests to give the populace something to drink to. You can read it all, in their own words.

And I haven't met even a *moderate* Christian yet who knows this, because the study of ancient history is so poorly followed.
Note: I'm semi-retired from the board, so if you need something, please be patient.
ArmorPierce
Rabid Monkey
Location: Born and raised in Brooklyn, unfornately presently in Jersey

Re: Creationism in major newspapers

Post by ArmorPierce »

That thing was just nothing but a steaming pile of donkey shit :evil:
Brotherhood of the Monkey @( !.! )@
To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift. ~Steve Prefontaine
Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht frist and lsat ltteer are in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe.
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

How about a rational religious belief?

Post by Coyote »

Many may well think that 'rational religious thought' is a triple-header oxymoron, but I think there is such a thing and it is unfortunately drowned out by the scream chorus of fundy and zellie crackheads. But here's my personal opinion, it is only my personal opinion and in no way am I trying to say that you should adopt it if it doesn't suit you.

I believe that there is a higher power, and that it is probably something we can't understand in human terms. Since we don't know what the exact manifestation of this 'higher power' is, then there is no sense arguing if the Christian, Hindu, Muslim, Jewish or JR 'Bob' Dobbs path is the 'correct' one. I'd even wager that this Power is equally accessible by anyone in ALL of these different interpretations, since there is such a wide variety of human culture and thought patterns in the world. Each approaches God is their own comprehensive way, suitable to their culture.

(Of course humans-- fallable creatures-- feel threatened by anone who does not validate their society's beliefs by doing something different, so we end up with persecution instead of acceptance of the 'other' but equally valid path).

Prayers and rituals? Things that make people feel part of a community-- shots of spiritual whiskey that give the practicers a feeling of solidarity and active participation. This provides psychological comfort. Unfortunately spiritul 'leaders' have twisted things to serve their own ends, thus no ends of mischief is created by the human hierarchy that is supoposed to aid and serve people as (essentially) councilors.

I guess what it comes down to is that most people, myself included, want to think that our lives here on Earth are meaningful in some way and we like to think that our faith and good works will be rewarded, and that those who do evil will recieve a proper (and proportional) justice. But this is a concept that people choose for themselves-- it cannot be forced or coerced. I think it is unfortunate that the shrill scolds of a few ill-behaved children spoil faith for those who practice it quietly, calmly, rationally, and best of all-- with no interference on their neighbors...
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
Mr. B
Jedi Knight

Post by Mr. B »

Lagmonster wrote:Argh.

I've said it before, I'll say it again: Genesis was directly translated from Sumerian myths, period. All that creation-as-it-was-in-the-bible up through to the flood and Babel bullshit is just a story made up by Sumerian priests to give the populace something to drink to. You can read it all, in their own words.

And I haven't met even a *moderate* Christian yet who knows this, because the study of ancient history is so poorly followed.

I remember when one of my teachers said pretty much the same thing. All the fundie kids shut up pretty quick, but looked really pissed. It made me laugh.
"I got so high last night I figured out how clouds work." - the miracle of marijuana

Legalize It!

Proud Member of the local 404 Professional Cynics Union.

"Every Revolution carries within it the seeds of its own destruction."-Dune
Peregrin Toker
Emperor's Hand

Post by Peregrin Toker »

The closest thing in Denmark is some creationists making some noise in the "reader's debate" sections of the newspapers, but practically anything can be written there.....

Anyway, I think most Danish people are too educated to believe that the earth was -POOF!!- created.

However, we have enough problem with extremist politicians.
"Hi there, would you like to have a cookie?"

"No, actually I would HATE to have a cookie, you vapid waste of inedible flesh!"
SPOOFE
Sith Devotee

Post by SPOOFE »

Actually, I am completely in favor of having the notions of Creationism presented in schools. Tell the kids all about Creationism. Tell them how ridiculous it is, and how it violates every observable piece of evidence that we've collected. Tell them how Creationists don't want people to know the facts. Tell them how Creationists lie and decieve and threaten if they don't get their way.

Then move on to Scientologists...
The Great and Malignant