This man is about to launch himself in his homemade rocket to prove the Earth is flat

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, SCRawl, Thanas

U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Devotee

Re: This man is about to launch himself in his homemade rocket to prove the Earth is flat

Post by U.P. Cinnabar » 2017-12-05 01:19pm

Isolder74 wrote:
2017-12-03 11:40pm
I know but the flat earth guy is trying to make it sound like they just won't let him do it and are hiding something. I'm not even sure anymore that the rocket actually even works.
Supposedly, by steam pressure.
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
—29th Scroll, 6th Verse of Ape Law
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
---Doctor Christine Blasey-Ford

U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Devotee

Re: This man is about to launch himself in his homemade rocket to prove the Earth is flat

Post by U.P. Cinnabar » 2017-12-05 01:20pm

Then he'd say the Russians were in on the conspiracy too.
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”

Korto
Jedi Master

Post by Korto » 2017-12-06 07:26am

Broomstick wrote:
2017-12-03 11:31pm
The Earth doesn't look any more curved from 1800 feet than from the ground. I speak from experience.
Then, if you think about it, that height admirably fits his stated purpose.

You know, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt that he may not be a kook. He may be a maniac, who's struck upon this group to fund his rocket, and he's just saying whatever it takes to get it in the air. I'm even willing to believe he may intend to go up, since he did it before.

And I love Captain Risky from the Budget Direct ads.
“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”
Sigismund, Holy Roman Emperor

Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester » 2017-12-07 09:06pm

I mean, if he were just climbing to 1800 feet, he could go up a mountain. Less work.

Clearly in it for the rocket.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov

LaCroix
Sith Marauder

Post by LaCroix » 2018-01-26 12:51pm

Update - he's trying to do it in February...
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.

U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Devotee

Post by U.P. Cinnabar » 2018-01-26 03:04pm

Just in time for Valentine's Day.

From Cupid to Stupid in such a short month.