Physicists breeding Schroedinger cat states

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

SolarpunkFan
Jedi Knight

Physicists breeding Schroedinger cat states

Post by SolarpunkFan »

https://phys.org/news/2017-05-physicist ... tates.html
Physicists have learned how they could breed Schrödinger cats in optics. Scientists tested a method that could potentially amplify superpositions of classical states of light beyond microscopic limits and help determine the boundaries between the quantum and classical worlds.

CIFAR Quantum Information Science Fellow Alexander Lvovsky led the team of Russian Quantum Center and University of Calgary scientists who tested a method that could potentially amplify superpositions of classical states of light beyond microscopic limits and help determine the boundaries between the quantum and classical worlds.

The study was published today in Nature Photonics.

In 1935, German physicist Erwin Schrödinger proposed a thought experiment where a cat, hidden from the observer, is in a superposition of two states: it was both alive and dead. Schrödinger's cat was intended to show how radically different the macroscopic world we see is from the microscopic world governed by the laws of quantum physics.

However, the development of quantum technologies makes it possible to create increasingly complex quantum states, and Schrödinger's thought experiment no longer seems too far out of reach.

"One of the fundamental questions of physics is the boundary between the quantum and classical worlds. Can quantum phenomena, provided ideal conditions, be observed in macroscopic objects? Theory gives no answer to this question—maybe there is no such boundary. What we need is a tool that will probe it," says Lvovsky, who is a professor at the University of Calgary and head of the Quantum Optics Laboratory of the Russian Quantum Center, where the experiment was set up.

Exactly such a tool is provided by the physical analogue of the Schrödinger cat - an object in a quantum superposition of two states with opposite properties. In optics, this is a superposition of two coherent light waves where the fields of the electromagnetic waves point in two opposite directions at once. Until now, experiments could only obtain such superpositions at small amplitudes that limit their use. The Lvovsky group carried out the procedure of "breeding" such states, which makes it possible to obtain optical "cats" of higher amplitudes with greater success.

Co-author and University of Calgary graduate student Anastasia Pushkina explains: "The idea of the experiment was proposed in 2003 by the group of Professor Timothy Ralph of the University of Queensland, Australia. In essence, we cause interference of two "cats" on a beam splitter. This leads to an entangled state in the two output channels of that beam splitter. In one of these channels, a special detector is placed. In the event this detector shows a certain result, a "cat" is born in the second output whose energy is more than twice that of the initial one."

The Lvovsky group tested this method in the lab. In the experiment, they successfully converted a pair of negative squeezed "Schrodinger cats" of amplitude 1.15 to a single positive "cat" of amplitude 1.85. They generated several thousand such enlarged "cats" in their experiment.

"It is important that the procedure can be repeated: new 'cats' can, in turn, be overlapped on a beam splitter, producing one with even higher energy, and so on. Thus, it is possible to push the boundaries of the quantum world step by step, and eventually to understand whether it has a limit," says the first author of the study, a graduate student from the Russian Quantum Center and the Moscow State Pedagogical University, Demid Sychev.

Such macroscopic "Schrodinger cats" would have applications in quantum communication, teleportation and cryptography.
In all seriousness I think I'll be a bit disturbed if it turns out that QM has no upper boundary. :shock:
Seeing current events as they are is wrecking me emotionally. So I say 'farewell' to this forum. For anyone who wonders.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Re: Physicists breeding Schroedinger cat states

Post by Simon_Jester »

Of course it has no upper boundary. It's the way the universe works.

You think quantum mechanics is weird. You're wrong. Quantum mechanics is normal. YOU are weird.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Post by SpottedKitty »

I hope they've remembered to allow for the discovery by the late Sir Pterry that a cat in a box actually has three quantum states:

1) Alive
2) Dead
3) Bloody Furious, in which case point the box away from you when opening it.

:wink: :wink:
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery
SolarpunkFan
Jedi Knight

Post by SolarpunkFan »

Simon_Jester wrote:Of course it has no upper boundary. It's the way the universe works.

You think quantum mechanics is weird. You're wrong. Quantum mechanics is normal. YOU are weird.
My apologies. I finished Quarantine by Greg Egan not too long ago. I think I now have some inkling as to what an interesting yet disquieting acid trip would be like. Freaky as hell, in case you're wondering. :wtf:
Seeing current events as they are is wrecking me emotionally. So I say 'farewell' to this forum. For anyone who wonders.
ndryden
Redshirt

Post by ndryden »

SolarpunkFan wrote: My apologies. I finished Quarantine by Greg Egan not too long ago. I think I now have some inkling as to what an interesting yet disquieting acid trip would be like. Freaky as hell, in case you're wondering. :wtf:
Do note that Greg Egan has pointed out that there are several fundamental problems with the interpretation of QM in Quarantine.
SolarpunkFan
Jedi Knight

Post by SolarpunkFan »

ndryden wrote:Do note that Greg Egan has pointed out that there are several fundamental problems with the interpretation of QM in Quarantine.
That actually doesn't surprise me all that much.

I was still reeling from the novel when I made this thread. Plus I have problems with impulsiveness, a bad combination all around. :oops:
Eulogy
Jedi Knight

Post by Eulogy »

When can we start adopting them? :p
Simon_Jester wrote:Of course it has no upper boundary. It's the way the universe works.

But does this mean all of us have more than one potential state at any time? Could we be Klingons in an alternate universe?
"A word of advice: next time you post, try not to inadvertently reveal why you've had no success with real women." Darth Wong to Bubble Boy
"I see you do not understand objectivity," said Tom Carder, a fundie fucknut to Darth Wong
SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Post by SpottedKitty »

Eulogy wrote:But does this mean all of us have more than one potential state at any time? Could we be Klingons in an alternate universe?
Either that, or we'll all have beards in an alternate universe. :wink:
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery