gay marriage => planes falling out of the sky according to marriage alliance spokeswoman

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

gay marriage => planes falling out of the sky according to marriage alliance spokeswoman

Post by mr friendly guy »

Satire is dead, and even a resurrection spell isn't able to help it.
AN anti-same-sex marriage spokeswoman claimed a new equality campaign posed a serious ‘OH & S issue’ during an ABC News interview last night — and the interviewer could barely conceal her stumped reaction.
Marriage Alliance spokeswoman Sophie York was a guest on ABC News 24 to discuss Airbnb Australia’s announcement this week that they would sell specially crafted rings in support of marriage equality.
Each ‘acceptance ring’ forms an incomplete circle, with the words ‘until we all belong’ engraved on its interior. The rings “symbolise the gap in marriage equality that we need to close. Wear this ring and show your acceptance of marriage equality,” say Airbnb on the campaign website.
Qantas and Google have both thrown their support behind the campaign, announcing that they would provide rings for employees to wear should they wish.
To York, the public face of an organisation that campaigns against the legalisation of same-sex marriage, this is all clearly a workplace health hazard.

“I think that people will feel quite pressured, if their bosses have bought or provided the rings, or there’s been a flyer go out saying ‘these rings are available’, and also if a number of people are wearing them,” she said.
“And, um, it may even be an OH & S issue. I mean, the gap could catch, that ring could catch on things. There are many considerations to this, but we’re talking about the impact on the worker,” she continued.
Imagine. Qantas planes plummeting out of the sky because the flight attendant’s equality ring caught on the cabin door. Servers crashing because some poor lackey at Google HQ pressed the wrong key with his equality ring. It all makes sense.
Feel free to save the newsreader’s stupefied reaction shot to your desktop so you can use it the next time you’re met with a truly dumb argument:
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Re: gay marriage => planes falling out of the sky according to marriage alliance spokeswoman

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

That's...incredudumb.

It's the sort of absurdly stupid argument you desperately hope is satire or parody and not actually real. It's so dumb it's almost impressive and respectable for the effort needed to create such a stupid argument.

Anyone want to take bets on when she'll get hired by the Trump administration?
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Re: gay marriage => planes falling out of the sky according to marriage alliance spokeswoman

Post by Gandalf »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:Anyone want to take bets on when she'll get hired by the Trump administration?
It's an Australian story, so there's plenty of room in the Turnbull government, or one of the smaller crazy parties.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Gandalf wrote:
Eternal_Freedom wrote:Anyone want to take bets on when she'll get hired by the Trump administration?
It's an Australian story, so there's plenty of room in the Turnbull government, or one of the smaller crazy parties.
Fair point. Quoted by Trump on Twitter then?

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Um. Is the Planes dropping out of the sky actually what the Lady said? Or just sarcasm from the article writer. It's not included in quotes in the article.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

Hmm. It might be what is implied by her statement about it being an occupational health and safety issue rather than a direct quote then.

Although she did say it would be a workplace health and safety issue and QANTAS (one of Australia's airlines) have already shown support for the initiative of wearing these rings.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Crazedwraith wrote:Um. Is the Planes dropping out of the sky actually what the Lady said? Or just sarcasm from the article writer. It's not included in quotes in the article.
“And, um, it may even be an OH & S issue. I mean, the gap could catch, that ring could catch on things. There are many considerations to this, but we’re talking about the impact on the worker,” she continued.
Imagine. Qantas planes plummeting out of the sky because the flight attendant’s equality ring caught on the cabin door. Servers crashing because some poor lackey at Google HQ pressed the wrong key with his equality ring. It all makes sense.
You are right that the second paragraph isn't included in a quote and may be sarcasm by the author. But honestly, even the direct quote is a dumb argument. Could the ring catch on things? Quite possibly, but by that logic we shouldn't allow ordinary wedding rings either, and I bet you pounds to Skittles that she would scream bloody murder at the very suggestion.

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:
Crazedwraith wrote:Um. Is the Planes dropping out of the sky actually what the Lady said? Or just sarcasm from the article writer. It's not included in quotes in the article.
You are right that the second paragraph isn't included in a quote and may be sarcasm by the author. But honestly, even the direct quote is a dumb argument. Could the ring catch on things? Quite possibly, but by that logic we shouldn't allow ordinary wedding rings either, and I bet you pounds to Skittles that she would scream bloody murder at the very suggestion.
Indeed. And I imagine any job where health and safety has decided rings are an actual risk will require employees to take these rings and wedding rings off.

I wasn't saying that 'this woman's argument isn't stupid' just 'the title seems to be inaccurate to what she actually said'
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Fair point. Arguments like this are dumb enough we don't need to invent stuff to laugh at.

Darth Tanner
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Tanner »

To play devils advocate a ring with a gap in it is a significantly greater health and safety risk than a normal ring. It would have a much greater chance of getting caught in things. Obviously if the airline has already issued these out they would have made an assessment that any such risk is minimal... I mean the worst impact I can think of is getting it caught in a seatbelt or air mask or cable ect... its not like such a risk would actually have that great an impact seeing as it would also become rapidly unstuck seeing as its a rigid object.
Get busy living or get busy dying... unless there’s cake.
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

If you check out the linked video, what she is mostly saying is more about the issues of social pressure with things like this, that it would effectively out someone as being against gay marriage. Because it is not like the inverse is ever a problem.

The point about potential health and safety issues is just another attack one can make against the concept, and it is really just an opener leading to the real point above.