LHC: Five new particles hold clues to sub-atomic glue

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

SolarpunkFan
Jedi Knight

LHC: Five new particles hold clues to sub-atomic glue

Post by SolarpunkFan »

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-39333376
The Large Hadron Collider has discovered new sub-atomic particles that could help to explain how the centres of atoms are held together.

The particles are all different forms of the so-called Omega-c baryon, whose existence was confirmed in 1994.

Physicists had always believed the various types existed but had not been able to detect them - until now.

The discovery will shed light on the operation of the "strong force", which glues the insides of atoms.

The centres of atoms consist of particles called neutrons and protons. They in turn are made up of smaller particles called quarks, which have unusual names.

Those inside neutrons and protons are called "Up" and "Down". These quarks are held together by the nuclear strong force. Physicists have a theory called quantum chromodynamics for how the nuclear strong force works but using it to make predictions requires very complex calculations.

The Omega-c baryon is in the same family of particles as the neutron and proton, but it can be thought of as a more exotic cousin. It too is made up of quarks but they are called "Charm" and "Strange", and they are heavier versions of the Up and Down quarks.

Since the Omega-c particle's discovery, it was thought that there were heavier versions. Its bigger brothers and sisters if you like. Now, physicists at the European Organization for Nuclear Research (Cern) have found them. They believe that by studying these siblings, they'll learn more about the workings of the nuclear strong force.

Dr Greig Cowan, of the University of Edinburgh, UK, who works on the LHCb experiment at Cern's LHC, said: "This is a striking discovery that will shed light on how quarks bind together. It may have implications not only to better understand protons and neutrons, but also more exotic multi-quark states, such as pentaquarks and tetraquarks."

Prof Tara Shears, of Liverpool University, who also works on the experiment, said: "These particles have been hiding in plain sight for years, but it has taken the exquisite sensitivity of the LHCb to bring them to our attention."
Interesting. Here's hoping we learn a thing or two from this discovery!
Seeing current events as they are is wrecking me emotionally. So I say 'farewell' to this forum. For anyone who wonders.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Re: LHC: Five new particles hold clues to sub-atomic glue

Post by Sea Skimmer »

It's nice when discoveries don't require throwing out the book...it raises my hopes we can solve for physics before I'm dead. Course that also might mean someone can design a fusion hand grenade before I'm dead too, but whatever, progress is progress.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956