Anaesthesia: What exactly happens? Experiences?

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Re: Anaesthesia: What exactly happens? Experiences?

Post by General Zod »

I went under a general when I got my wisdom teeth pulled out a few years back. They gave me some laughing gas, stuck a needle in my arm and the next thing I knew I was waking up and the procedure was done. According to the friend I had pick me up from the dentist I was saying some crazy shit when I was under the influence, but I don't remember a thing. It was like flicking a switch on and off; one minute I'm conscious, the next minute it's 2 hours later.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

My memory of general anesthesia is basically nonexistent. I lasted until seven on the count to ten, and the next thing I remember is waking up in my parents' van being driven back into town. I am assured that I got out of the dentist's chair and was guided out to the van under my own power, but I don't remember it at all.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
FireNexus
Cookie

Post by FireNexus »

Rogue 9 wrote:My memory of general anesthesia is basically nonexistent. I lasted until seven on the count to ten, and the next thing I remember is waking up in my parents' van being driven back into town. I am assured that I got out of the dentist's chair and was guided out to the van under my own power, but I don't remember it at all.
No general for the dentist. Too much chance of fatal respiratory depression for not enough benefit. You were sedated with powerful benzos and nitrous oxide.
I had a Bill Maher quote here. But fuck him for his white privelegy "joke".

All the rest? Too long.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Yeah, my understanding is that general always involves intubation these days - if you weren't in setting with that it's not really general anesthesia, it's heavy sedation.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Broomstick wrote:Yeah, my understanding is that general always involves intubation these days - if you weren't in setting with that it's not really general anesthesia, it's heavy sedation.

Yes the cocktail for general puts you under to the point that the doc and nurses can't reliable count on your brain to continue respiration and you get intubated. Conscious sedation doesn't nuke your brain as bad so no intubation, but they also tend to mix some verced into the mix for short term amnesia effects so people don't remember what happened during the procedure. People are generally 'asleep' under conscious sedation but often 'wake up a bit' and are goofy in what they say under it, but don't remember much of what happened to them. General sedation, you're gone, bye bye, till it wears off. I'm sure some people remember some sort of 'dream' during general but my small experience has it just be blank till you're out of it enough to be awake.

General anaesthesia can mess up mental alacrity, especially in old already suffering from dementia, for some time after surgery as well.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

FireNexus wrote:
Rogue 9 wrote:My memory of general anesthesia is basically nonexistent. I lasted until seven on the count to ten, and the next thing I remember is waking up in my parents' van being driven back into town. I am assured that I got out of the dentist's chair and was guided out to the van under my own power, but I don't remember it at all.
No general for the dentist. Too much chance of fatal respiratory depression for not enough benefit. You were sedated with powerful benzos and nitrous oxide.
Unless Rogue is thinking of an oral surgeon. My dentist recommended me to one since he couldn't put me under for a general to get my wisdom teeth out. (No way I was getting the rest of those things pulled with a local.)
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

I was put under to have all four of my wisdom teeth removed by an oral surgeon, anesthesiologist in the room and all. I've been under sedation to have my premolars pulled (in what was supposed to be a plan to prevent having to take my wisdom teeth out later), and what they did with my wisdom teeth felt nothing like that - for instance, I remember the first procedure in detail despite feeling no pain. (The sensation of having a tooth wrenched from your jaw does not become pleasant, even when your pain receptors are out.)
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

I went under a local to have my first wisdom tooth out. The cracking sound was the worst part.
FireNexus
Cookie

Post by FireNexus »

General Zod wrote:Unless Rogue is thinking of an oral surgeon. My dentist recommended me to one since he couldn't put me under for a general to get my wisdom teeth out. (No way I was getting the rest of those things pulled with a local.)
Good point that I didn't think of. Duh.
I had a Bill Maher quote here. But fuck him for his white privelegy "joke".

All the rest? Too long.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

I had a wisdom tooth pulled a few years ago. I got a local for that. It didn't hurt... but I couldn't help feeling like she was getting in there with a crowbar and trying to pry the side of my jaw off. I'm pretty sure I literally said 'ease up on the crowbar please'. Thankfully they did...
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Zeropoint
Jedi Knight

Post by Zeropoint »

Despite having been in the military, I still have my wisdom teeth. Yay for having a larger-than-average head!

Edit: Meaning that I have enough room in my jaw for the wisdom teeth to come in properly and be useful for chewing.
I'm a cis-het white male, and I oppose racism, sexism, homophobia, and transphobia. I support treating all humans equally.

When fascism came to America, it was wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.

That which will not bend must break and that which can be destroyed by truth should never be spared its demise.
Kinyo
Youngling

Post by Kinyo »

Even though its 20 or so years ago I remember "going under" when I was having a minor operation.

I was about 5-6 when I went for, what I was told, an hernia operation. I later learned that it was actually to lower and untwist a testicle but I guess its easier to tell a kid its an hernia op rather than your nuts needed help.

I remember going into the pre-op room where, I think, the anaesthetist took some blood samples from me, I was upset and told him I wanted my blood back at which point he very calmly said "Ok, don't worry. Can you count to ten for me". Then I started counting and watched as one of the vials of my blood slowly emptied and my eyes got really heavy. Like I hadn't slept for days and I was going to sleep no matter what I thought I wanted to do.

I remember that part really vividly which is a little odd I guess.

After that my next thought was waking up and mumbling to my mum and dad that I needed the toilet. They took me and I remember on the way back my legs buckled and I fell forward and threw up all over the ward corridor.

I have no memory between going to sleep and waking up but that's exactly what it felt like to me. One big sleep.
fordlltwm
Padawan Learner

Post by fordlltwm »

Underwent GA for tooth extractions the other day, 14 in 30minutes, first was a painkiller, made me feel a bit drunk / high, then the anaethitist said this will knock you out, next thing it's half an hour later, I've a sore jaw and I'm waking up in recovery. No sensation or memory from the end of the knock out sentence, just waking up in recovery.