FAST telescope comes online

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

FAST telescope comes online

Post by mr friendly guy »

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-07-04/c ... pe/7566052
China completes world's biggest telescope, eyes hunt for alien life

China has finished building the world's biggest radio telescope, which it will use to explore space and hunt for extraterrestrial life, state media says.

The 500-metre Aperture Spherical Telescope, or FAST, is the size of 30 soccer fields and has been hewn out of a mountain in the poor south-western province of Guizhou.

Scientists will now start debugging and trials of the telescope, Zheng Xiaonian, deputy head of the National Astronomical Observation under the Chinese Academy of Sciences, which built the telescope, told the official Xinhua news agency.

"The project has the potential to search for more strange objects to better understand the origin of the universe and boost the global hunt for extraterrestrial life," the report paraphrased Mr Zheng as saying.
The 1.2-billion yuan ($240 million) radio telescope will be a global leader for the next one to two decades, Mr Zheng added.

The telescope, which has taken about five years to build, is expected to begin operations in September.

Advancing China's space program is a priority for Beijing, with President Xi Jinping calling for the country to establish itself as a space power.
snipped the rest of it as its not relevant to the FAST telescope.

Note the Russian RATAN 600 is larger, but its a different type of radio telescope in the sense that while its also circular shape, the inside of the circle isn't filled with panels like FAST.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Re: FAST telescope comes online

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Neat. Can't wait to see what they find.

Also, somewhat amused by the fact that China can build a 500m radio telescope for only $240 million in five years. If you tried doing this as a Western organisation, I bet it'd take twice as long and cost five times as much.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Re: FAST telescope comes online

Post by SpottedKitty »

Interesting. Any info on how its resolution/sensitivity compares to e.g. Aricebo or ALMA? FAST is bigger than Aricebo, I know, but in this game size isn't (quite) everything.
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery