Measuring unconcious bias

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Re: Measuring unconcious bias

Post by Purple »

Simon_Jester wrote:Which compensations do you deem "wild" and "over," exactly?
Wild - All of them. As instead of being ordered, calculated and in general systematic they seem to me to be wild stabs in the dark.
Over - Most of them. As typically when you are stabbing in the dark instead of approaching a problem systemically any effort you make tends to be in the wrong direction.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

So are you just... taking for granted that any attempt to be non-discriminatory is a priori excessive?
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

Just the ones I see simon, just the ones I see.

There is nothing that says these things can't be done right in theory.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Esquire
Jedi Council Member

Post by Esquire »

Give some examples, then. Tell us what you see people doing and why you think it's excessive.
“Heroes are heroes because they are heroic in behavior, not because they won or lost.” Nassim Nicholas Taleb
Dragon Angel
Jedi Knight

Post by Dragon Angel »

I took the Race IAT and ... I'm just confused. Some of the questions on the initial survey I felt were too simplistic, as in I had answers that went beyond the agreement-disagreement scale, and I don't know if I truly answered them as best as I could've. On the facial-verbal association test, I tended to lose concentration sometimes (thanks ADD), and when the categories were flipped and I had to reassociate everything again as fast as possible again, that's when my brain started to give up.

Speaking of the categories, I had a confused and ... somewhat disturbed reaction immediately when I saw "African-American OR Bad" grouped together, and it took me a minute to really figure out what the purpose behind it was. Take of that what you will.

I'm not sure how to resolve these with the actual result I got.
"I could while away the hours, conferrin' with the flowers, consultin' with the rain.
And my head I'd be scratchin', while my thoughts were busy hatchin', if I only had a brain!
I would not be just a nothin', my head all full of stuffin', my heart all full of pain.
I would dance and be merry, life would be would be a ding-a-derry, if I only had a brain!"
Esquire
Jedi Council Member

Post by Esquire »

Since this thread came back up to the top of the forum - you managed to find some of the major meta-methodological problems with qualitative research. A nonempirical* test is designed by some social scientist A to measure some concept B in some subject C; A may design a bad test, B may not be a valid concept, and C's concept of B may actually be a separate-but-related concept B', further threatening the accuracy of test results. Here, all three of those are almost certainly true. Purely as an example, a KKK Grand Dragon might take the test and not register as a racist if he were simply good at remembering which side of the screen to click. The theoretical underpinnings of implicit-bias research suggest that this won't be true on population-average, but... well, look at my signature. There are serious flaws in the whole conceptual superstructure surrounding the measurement of racism (or any other -ism or -phobia) which I'd be happy to have an excuse to think and talk about further.

More simply, I wouldn't worry about it. There are way too many confounding factors present in this sort of test for it to tell you anything about yourself with enough certainty that you ought to change your behavior solely because of the results.

*This is true for empirical tests as well, but more obviously and therefore less problematically.
“Heroes are heroes because they are heroic in behavior, not because they won or lost.” Nassim Nicholas Taleb
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Apparently I have "a strong automatic preference for African American compared to European American".

:lol:
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'