Chicken Egg Hatched Without a Shell

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

Jub
Sith Marauder

Chicken Egg Hatched Without a Shell

Post by Jub »

This may yet turn out to be some kind of hoax, but if not this is pretty damned cool.

HowStuffWorks.com wrote:This might seem like mere trickery, but a video from Japan purports to show a chicken being hatched from an egg without a shell.

In the video, Japanese schoolchildren break an ordinary egg into a container covered by a film of plastic wrap shaped to create a well. (A hole is made at the side of the cup and a cotton ball is placed at the bottom as a filter and to plug the hole. A 2 mm plastic tube is inserted through the cotton ball and the hole to provide oxygen). Next the students artificially fertilize the egg. Then they cover the container and place it inside an incubator. Over time, we see the features of the chicken develop, and eventually it hatches!

Apart from the super-fascinating novelty of the whole thing, why do it? The technique was actually written up in a 2014 paper called "A Novel Shell-less Culture System for Chick Embryos Using a Plastic Film as Culture Vessels" and was published in the Journal of Poultry Science. The paper's authors note that the technique could be used to preserve rare birds. That is, even if their shells were damaged, the eggs could still have a chance at life. The simple technique has a hatchability rate of 57 percent, much higher than any other shell-less methods tried to date, the authors say. It could also be handy for generating transgenic chickens (some chickens have been genetically engineered to produce a drug in their eggs) and for studying embryonic manipulation.

The method, the scientists add, could also help to educate children about embryonic development. We say, not just children — adults too. Although, we may not get as excited as the students in the video, we still find it pretty compelling.
Dominus Atheos
Sith Marauder

Re: Chicken Egg Hatched Without a Shell

Post by Dominus Atheos »

Yes its real, but its not new. This video is from 2013.

More at snopes.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Cool stuff, it's not something I caught the first time around so I figured I'd share.
Isolder74
Official SD.Net Ace of Cakes

Post by Isolder74 »

As long as the egg's membrane in intact this is possible. very hard because of possible infections that the shell is designed to prevent but still possible.
Hapan Battle Dragons Rule!
When you want peace prepare for war! --Confusious
That was disapointing ..Should we show this Federation how to build a ship so we may have worthy foes? Typhonis 1
The Prince of The Writer's Guild|HAB Spacewolf Tank General| God Bless America!
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Does this change the answer to the question as to which came first?
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Esquire
Jedi Council Member

Post by Esquire »

I think it just muddies things further. The egg and the chicken are, it seems, just highly correlated, with no logically-necessary linkage.
“Heroes are heroes because they are heroic in behavior, not because they won or lost.” Nassim Nicholas Taleb
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

This is not at all new. Developmental biologists have been doing this (and similar methods, usually with a partial shell) for a looooooong time to study developmental processes.
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Alyrium Denryle wrote:This is not at all new. Developmental biologists have been doing this (and similar methods, usually with a partial shell) for a looooooong time to study developmental processes.
Even better. I'm happy to be the fool on this one because it means science is just that much more awesome than I thought it was.