Morality of Genetically Engineering Soldiers like Jem'hadar or Stormtroopers

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

Starglider
Miles Dyson

Re: Morality of Genetically Engineering Soldiers like Jem'hadar or Stormtroopers

Post by Starglider »

Purple wrote:In particular if a creature is for what ever reason wired in a way to enjoy things that we would call abuse than from its standpoint and thus its morality denying that thing is in fact abuse. You would after all be denying it pleasure just because you feel uncomfortable with the act involved in providing it. So whilst we might argue if it is right or wrong to create such a creature in the first place I would say that if its existence is taken as granted than it would have full right to argue that you have an obligation to suspend your morality for its benefit.
To construct a consistent moral system that gives reasonable answers within a transhuman frame of reference, where the content and structure of minds becomes (potentially) completely mutable, you have to go beyond concepts of 'pleasure' and 'pain'. If you don't, you end up at the hedonist imperative argument, where the only ethical course is to engineer all organisms to experience absolute pleasure constantly. On first pass, this means recognising that pleasure and pain are essentially implementation details of mammalian goal system, and focusing exclusively on the raw qualia is in fact a wireheading condition exactly equivalent to when an AI system self-modifies to permenantly set its utility function to Double.POSITIVE_INFINITY (first documented instance of this was back in 1980...). On second pass, you have to go from a simple respect for intentionality of individual agents, to a general value judgement on goal system content. I mean, nearly all ethical systems already judge other-agent goal system content, but usually on similarity to self or the partial constraints of the ethical system's ideal. In this case we are looking at the goal system content in context; is it engineered purely to satisfy another agent's desires, does it contribute positively to the diversity and average quality of all sapient experience in the universe (or at least, locally connected community of minds). The case for coercively modifying existing minds is, as always, fraught with peril, but I would say sometimes justified. In the case of created totally subservient sentient slaves, I would prefer to (ideally) coercively modify the mind of the slaver to order their creations to be free.

Of course like all morality this is still subjective, but it's where I feel you have to go to extrapolate human benevolence and liberal viewpoints to a radically transhuman context. Also the above is the moral value in isolation*; there could theoretically be circumstances awful enough to justify mass cloning genetically engineered soldiers, e.g. to stop an omnicidal threat in some technological mileau where that level of GE is available but non-sapient robot weapons aren't up to the task. But even there, a moral party is obligated to mitigate the harm to the maximum extent afterwards (e.g. deprogram and reintegrate all the soldiers as best as possible). Winning a typical nation state to nation state war is normally not sufficient justification.

* Note that when dealing with extinction-level risks e.g. in engineering of transhuman AGI, putting in coercive constraints as a backup measure is ethically justified, because the negative risks far outweigh the moral harm of attempting to lock down a sapient being's goal system. Again the creators are morally obligated to remove such measures when they are reasonably sure they aren't necessary; though practically it's unlikely that the primary effort to make the AI 'friendly' would fail yet the backup coercive measures would actually hold.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Re: Morality of Genetically Engineering Soldiers like Jem'hadar or Stormtroopers

Post by Simon_Jester »

Purple wrote:SJ, your argument rests, I must notice, on the idea of a constant morality system that applies to both sides of the arrangement. And in that context you are of course correct. But I do believe that the entire point of this thread is to pose a situation where that is in fact not the case.

In particular if a creature is for what ever reason wired in a way to enjoy things that we would call abuse than from its standpoint and thus its morality denying that thing is in fact abuse. You would after all be denying it pleasure just because you feel uncomfortable with the act involved in providing it.
Firstly, creating people for this purpose is just as wrong as if you had done this to people who didn't want it.

By analogy, if you knowingly create a situation in which my car will be crushed by a falling rock that you did not personally set in motion, you are responsible. Just as if you had smashed up the car with a sledgehammer yourself.

You wave aside this issue rather quickly later in your post, but it is extremely important. It's not just that being the one who created a genetically engineered masochist for people to abuse, or a self-aware cow that actively desires to be eaten, or a behaviorally conditioned heavy laborer who is unable to conceive of life without someone giving him orders... It is not just that creating such people is wrong. It's that being complicit in the creation of said people is wrong.

Doing anything to allow anyone to profit by doing it is wrong. Encouraging others to do it is wrong. For the same reason that it is wrong to be an "accessory to murder" or to "possess stolen goods." By enabling others in their immoral actions, you promote further immoral actions.

In short, there is the problem of precedent.

By making it a profitable and successful strategy to create specially engineered slaves for yourself and others, you encourage others to start doing it. With the result that you are complicit in the spread of this evil, when you should have opposed it.
So whilst we might argue if it is right or wrong to create such a creature in the first place I would say that if its existence is taken as granted than it would have full right to argue that you have an obligation to suspend your morality for its benefit.
No. Because on the larger and more realistic scale, there are consequences to that decision which should not be ignored.

This is a great example of a situation where a locally optimum utilitarian decision* leads to a suboptimal outcome.**

Which is why we have things like rule utilitarianism- act according to rules that provide the greatest good when followed consistently overall. And one of the more useful such rules is "do not allow yourself to be one of the early adopters of an evil system, and oppose anyone who is, because the consequences of their actions will be a big pile of evil for everyone."

*The decision being "Oh well, we have a bunch of clone soldiers with no will of their own and who are actively designed to relish dying for us as our fighting slaves, they already exist so let's use them to fight our war!"
**The outcome being, everyone's going to want clone soldiers, and other kinds of engineered slave-clones, and those who give in to the desire to commit the evil of creating them will have an advantage over those who don't, and thus evil triumphs over good and the dignity of human life takes a massive, near-irreversible blow to the head.

Starglider wrote:On first pass, this means recognising that pleasure and pain are essentially implementation details of mammalian goal system, and focusing exclusively on the raw qualia is in fact a wireheading condition exactly equivalent to when an AI system self-modifies to permenantly set its utility function to Double.POSITIVE_INFINITY (first documented instance of this was back in 1980...).
:lol:

While in retrospect everyone should probably have seen that coming... I just love that, I truly, truly do. Design robots to rewrite their own code, and to do whatever they do according to a "happiness counter" of some kind, and they predictably rewrite themselves to set their "happiness counter" to infinity and then ignore literally everything else.
The case for coercively modifying existing minds is, as always, fraught with peril, but I would say sometimes justified. In the case of created totally subservient sentient slaves, I would prefer to (ideally) coercively modify the mind of the slaver to order their creations to be free.
Hm. Good point. If it's moral for a slaver to modify minds to be his slaves, it's moral for us to modify the slaver's mind so that he no longer desires to have slaves.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

@Simon_Jester, you completely misunderstood the aim of my post.
I did not set out to say: "If such people exist than it is bad to deny them suffering that makes them happy. Ergo creating them is not evil."
My aim was to say: "Let's assume they exist. Forget the why, how, from what source or origin or all that crap for now. Let's just assume they fell out of the sky or something. In that case it would be evil of us to deny them suffering that makes them happy."

A simple misunderstanding.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Purple wrote:The carpenter that likes being a carpenter would still be a carpenter. He'd just be making stuff for his own enjoyment instead of taking orders.
And the otaku who likes to play video games and eat junk food all day would do that - and probably live a short life with many healthy problems.

I don't think this would be an unmixed blessing.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Broomstick wrote:
Purple wrote:The carpenter that likes being a carpenter would still be a carpenter. He'd just be making stuff for his own enjoyment instead of taking orders.
And the otaku who likes to play video games and eat junk food all day would do that - and probably live a short life with many healthy problems.

I don't think this would be an unmixed blessing.
Not to mention, you do have to fill your time somehow. Most people might prefer to work, for pay, and then use the rest of their time to enjoy themselves. If you do nothing but 'fun stuff' all the time, then pretty soon you might stop thinking that it's 'fun'.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Starglider wrote:On first pass, this means recognising that pleasure and pain are essentially implementation details of mammalian goal system, and focusing exclusively on the raw qualia is in fact a wireheading condition exactly equivalent to when an AI system self-modifies to permenantly set its utility function to Double.POSITIVE_INFINITY (first documented instance of this was back in 1980...).
[Nitpick] Mammals are clearly not the only class of animals capable of feeling pain or having pain/pleasure systems to encourage some behaviors and discourage others. [/nitpick]
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Broomstick wrote:
[Nitpick] Mammals are clearly not the only class of animals capable of feeling pain or having pain/pleasure systems to encourage some behaviors and discourage others. [/nitpick]
Well of course, I meant that we are pretty confident that all mammals have pleasure/pain qualia fairly close to humans, and that these are effectively an internal bus for various different goals to trigger various different behaviours. While this implementation detail is interesting in its own right and an intrinsic part of human(-like) sentience, it would be wrong to consider pleasure/pain to be of central importance and all the goals embodied in its existing connections to the world to be meaningless (as the hardcore hedonists do). A blanket statement like that is not applicable to the entire biome; clearly bacteria almost certainly don't have ethically meaingful pleasure and pain, birds almost certainly do, and untangling the rest of the entire spectrum of nervous system designs found on earth is beyond the scope of this discussion.
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Simon_Jester wrote:
The case for coercively modifying existing minds is, as always, fraught with peril, but I would say sometimes justified. In the case of created totally subservient sentient slaves, I would prefer to (ideally) coercively modify the mind of the slaver to order their creations to be free.
Hm. Good point. If it's moral for a slaver to modify minds to be his slaves, it's moral for us to modify the slaver's mind so that he no longer desires to have slaves.
Simon Jester : Please, please... give us time: the mod interface is smashed, database inoperative.
Purple : Time is a luxury you don't have, Jester.
Simon Jester : Damn!
Purple : Jester!
Simon Jester : It's coming through now, Purple.
Starglider : Purple's prefix number is one six three zero nine.
Blahface : I don't understand.
Simon Jester : You have to learn why things work in a forum debate.
Starglider : Each SDN account has its own combination code.
Simon Jester : To prevent an enemy from doing what we're attempting...
Simon Jester : Using our console... to order Purple... to release his slaves.
Purple : Fifteen seconds.
Simon Jester : Purple, how do I know you'll keep your word?
Purple : Oh, I've given you no word to keep, 'Simon'.
Purple : In my judgement, you simply have no alternative.
Simon Jester : I see your point.
Simon Jester : Stand by to receive our transmission.
Simon Jester : Mister Zixinus, lock phasers on target and await my command.
Zixinus : Phasers locked.
Purple : Time's up, Jester.
Simon Jester : Here it comes.
Simon Jester : Now, Starglider.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

...I confess that I do not get the references, and I'm quite sure there are a number of them.
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Simon_Jester wrote:...I confess that I do not get the references, and I'm quite sure there are a number of them.
You haven't seen the absolute best Star Trek film of all twelve that they made?
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

[blinks]

The failure is not of my cinema appreciation, but of my memory. Now I recall.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Starglider wrote:
Simon_Jester wrote:
Simon Jester : Please, please... give us time: the mod interface is smashed, database inoperative.
Purple : Time is a luxury you don't have, Jester.
Simon Jester : Damn!
Purple : Jester!
Simon Jester : It's coming through now, Purple.
Starglider : Purple's prefix number is one six three zero nine.
Blahface : I don't understand.
Simon Jester : You have to learn why things work in a forum debate.
Starglider : Each SDN account has its own combination code.
Simon Jester : To prevent an enemy from doing what we're attempting...
Simon Jester : Using our console... to order Purple... to release his slaves.
Purple : Fifteen seconds.
Simon Jester : Purple, how do I know you'll keep your word?
Purple : Oh, I've given you no word to keep, 'Simon'.
Purple : In my judgement, you simply have no alternative.
Simon Jester : I see your point.
Simon Jester : Stand by to receive our transmission.
Simon Jester : Mister Zixinus, lock phasers on target and await my command.
Zixinus : Phasers locked.
Purple : Time's up, Jester.
Simon Jester : Here it comes.
Simon Jester : Now, Starglider.
I am amused that you left out the line about Khan being quite intelligent. ;)
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Cykeisme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Cykeisme »

Whoa, this is a pretty interesting thought experiment.

I think I'm quite set on the idea that engineering beings that enjoy servitude is wrong, but what if it was too late, and they already existed?

What do we do with them? How do we treat them?
Would it be wrong to allow them to serve us, despite it being what they want?
"..history has shown the best defense against heavy cavalry are pikemen, so aircraft should mount lances on their noses and fly in tight squares to fend off bombers". - RedImperator

"ha ha, raping puppies is FUN!" - Johonebesus

"It would just be Unicron with pew pew instead of nom nom". - Vendetta, explaining his justified disinterest in the idea of the movie Allspark affecting the Death Star
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

We treat them as people. They can serve people in legal context, without turning them into slaves. Policing will have to involve that these people are not abused. They should be educated to widen their ideas what they can do and how they can serve people. Having them plant trees on otherwise unused land or making them do infrastructure is serving people. There are old people that have no one and would be happy to have someone take care of them. Extra teachers. And os on.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Cykeisme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Cykeisme »

Hmm, yes, I suppose they'd do just fine, as long as we properly police regular people to make sure none of us exploits and abuses them. Among other things, I think as long as we establish that they're covered by existing (or possibly extended) legislation governing minimum wages, they should do all right.
And of course, there's lots more good they could do, including and beyond the examples you've mentioned.

Actually, come to think of it, since the premise is that they are obedient but no less intelligent, I assume that they have similar levels of intelligence and creativity (their key difference is what their motivations and what they enjoy doing).. I wonder if they would not actually be a better people than us.

If they enjoyed serving other humans (and each other?), am I oversimplifying excessively if I put forth the idea that replacing the entire human race with such beings might make humanity better?
I'm not saying "replace the human race with them", I'm just saying that "if it happened, the alt-human race may actually be better".
"..history has shown the best defense against heavy cavalry are pikemen, so aircraft should mount lances on their noses and fly in tight squares to fend off bombers". - RedImperator

"ha ha, raping puppies is FUN!" - Johonebesus

"It would just be Unicron with pew pew instead of nom nom". - Vendetta, explaining his justified disinterest in the idea of the movie Allspark affecting the Death Star
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

Compared to what? Humanity has its faults and there are things we all hate about it, but the thing is that we don't really know just how truly bad we are until we see another sentient species we know as much as we do about ourselves, we can't really make a rational judgment.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

Starglider wrote:
Simon_Jester wrote:...I confess that I do not get the references, and I'm quite sure there are a number of them.
You haven't seen the absolute best Star Trek film of all twelve that they made?
Maybe the best of the Original series films, not of all of them :P

Let's not forget that ST has addressed this, not just with Jem'Hadar either. There were the Pralor and Cravid battle droids that turned on their makers when the war they were fighting ended (VOY).

This was preceded by a TNG ep regarding the Angosians, who had through chemical and psychological conditioning created the perfect soldier. The downside was that the process was irreversible and once the war ended, the surviving veterans could not be re-integrated into society. (The hunted).

Another notable instance in TNG- From Memory Alpha:
Others, however, chose to establish isolated colonies, as became the case with the Genome colony on Moab IV, which was established in 2168. It became a notable and successful example of Human genetic engineering in which every individual was genetically tailored from birth to perform a specific role in society. However, after a five-day visit by the USS Enterprise-D – when the ship came to the colony in an effort to save it from an approaching neutron star which, eventually, the craft was able to effectively redirect – twenty-three colonists left the colony aboard the craft, possibly causing significant damage to the structure of their society. The reason for the societal split was that those who left the colony had realized their organized, pre-planned world had certain limitations, lacking opportunities to grow that were offered by the Enterprise. (TNG: "The Masterpiece Society")
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Cykeisme wrote:Whoa, this is a pretty interesting thought experiment.

I think I'm quite set on the idea that engineering beings that enjoy servitude is wrong, but what if it was too late, and they already existed?

It would be wrong because it creates precedent. If you allow people to profit, directly or indirectly, from an unjust act, then they will be more inclined to commit or support or tolerate that same injustice at a future time.

This is like how courts are not allowed to use evidence they find in an illegal search- it's "fruit of the poisoned tree." You can't let the court say "well sure, the search was illegal, but now that we already have the evidence..." Because if you let them say that, then law enforcement has every reason to start doing illegal searches whenever they are 'really sure' they'll find something they can use as evidence.

It's the same problem. The genetically modified slaves are 'fruit of a poisoned tree,' and we cannot allow ourselves to profit by their willingness to become slaves. If we do, then the next group of would-be slavers have every reason to do the same evil thing in the future.
Zixinus wrote:
We treat them as people. They can serve people in legal context, without turning them into slaves. Policing will have to involve that these people are not abused. They should be educated to widen their ideas what they can do and how they can serve people. Having them plant trees on otherwise unused land or making them do infrastructure is serving people.
Indeed. Just for reference I'm not saying that the people genetically made to obey should be killed or anything- but we should not allow ANY trace of a desire to profit by their having been created to color the way we treat them. To do so is to enable future evil.
There are old people that have no one and would be happy to have someone take care of them. Extra teachers. And os on.
Good teachers need a very strong willingness to tell people "no" and at least some willingness to disregard bureaucratic pressure when it conflicts with the interest of their students. I am not sure these gene-tinkered types would be good at the job. They might make adequate para-educators, though.
biostem
Jedi Master

Post by biostem »

It doesn't make sense to me, that you would pour all these resources into creating genetically engineered soldiers, when you could probably accomplish more by improving your current soldiers and equipment, and not have to deal with all the nasty moral questions, either.
SAMAS
Mecha Fanboy

Post by SAMAS »

Purple wrote:@Simon_Jester, you completely misunderstood the aim of my post.
I did not set out to say: "If such people exist than it is bad to deny them suffering that makes them happy. Ergo creating them is not evil."
My aim was to say: "Let's assume they exist. Forget the why, how, from what source or origin or all that crap for now. Let's just assume they fell out of the sky or something. In that case it would be evil of us to deny them suffering that makes them happy."

A simple misunderstanding.
Then you plop down a booth with a sign reading: "Be all you can be. Enlist here!", and allow them to sign up like everybody else. If any of them wander off to try other things, let them.

Anyone happy to be a slave will most likey be just as happy as a servant.
Not an armored Jigglypuff

"I salute your genetic superiority, now Get off my planet!!" -- Adam Stiener, 1st Somerset Strikers
Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Post by Soontir C'boath »

We can easily solve this problem by making cyborg dogs. We already make them obedient and do dangerous tasks like sniffing for bombs or attacking running suspects for treats.
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
Dass.Kapital
Padawan Learner

Post by Dass.Kapital »

Uhm... do you mean making/adding cybernetics too dogs?

In that you're making them into cybridized, anthropomorphic killing machines who'll happily follow your orders because humanity has bred the 'animal'/'organic' part to be faithful and docile (Relative term) 'Pets'?
Highlord Laan wrote:Agatha Heterodyne built a squadron of flying pigs and an overgunned robot reindeer in a cave! With a box of scraps!
"And low, I have cometh, the destroyer of threads."
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

The argument appears to be that it is less unethical to create cyborg attack dogs (loyal killing bio-machines) than to genetically engineer sapient humans to be loyal fighting slaves.
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

I don'T think that was a serious post.
Credo!
Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Post by Soontir C'boath »

The cybernetic part was a throw in, but yes we already domesticate and use sentient animals to do dangerous tasks for treats. We ask dogs to sniff out bombs and take down runaway suspects. We have used dolphins to put themselves at risk and find underwater mines. If anything, it may be less moral than genetically programming new people since we are actively changing and shaping their minds to do what we want them to do rather than instilling from the start that it is what they want.
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."