Morality of Genetically Engineering Soldiers like Jem'hadar or Stormtroopers

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Re: Morality of Genetically Engineering Soldiers like Jem'hadar or Stormtroopers

Post by Purple »

That boils down to two questions.

1. Are animals equal to people?
2. Is programing a creature after the fact less or more acceptable than engineering said creature with a programing included.

Now, #1 is a non issue because the answer is obviously no. We might value animals but there is absolutely no situation under which a sane human being is going to say an animal is worth the same or more than a human being in absolute terms.

And #2 is basically this thread.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Re: Morality of Genetically Engineering Soldiers like Jem'hadar or Stormtroopers

Post by Soontir C'boath »

If the issue is we will be desensitized when they look like humans which seems to be a good portion of this thread, then just make them monkeys/apes/etc with human brains. Or just keep them as monkeys and just genetically program them.
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

We do have some ethics regarding the animals we raise and their use: we provide for them, protect them as much as we can (be it from predators, diseases or other hazards) and have a duty to give them a good life outside of their duties. Most service dogs are very well taken care of. Same set of standards for the animals we eat, although the majority of us have been desensitized or deliberately ignorant of to the horrors of factory farming.
Still, using the same standards for genetically engineered creatures would be a good starting off point.

Making them soldiers is very different from making them catch perps or look for bombs, because we enter ethics of making sentient weapons for warfare. We already have problems with non-sentient but semi-autonomous weapons like Predator drones (although that may be just be due to fucked up policies and politics). Unless there are extraordinary circumstances forcing us, making sentient weapons is bad enough if for nothing else than the practical problems others have pointed out in the thread. For one, by the nature of warfare, you cannot guarantee them a good life. If they are sentient, then you have even more ethical responsibilities than with non-sentient animals.

Making better service dogs or designing an animal for a specific job isn't that much different.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Human is a sentient weapon when inserted into the army. What does this lead to? Wrecked lives, misery, psychological and physical damage to the person (injuries, PTSD, psychosis and more).

If you are so certain you can create a person that enjoys warfare, you are most likely creating a vile sadist by the standards of civilian society that has no place in it.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Cykeisme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Cykeisme »

Simon_Jester wrote:
Cykeisme wrote:Whoa, this is a pretty interesting thought experiment.

I think I'm quite set on the idea that engineering beings that enjoy servitude is wrong, but what if it was too late, and they already existed?

What do we do with them? How do we treat them?
Would it be wrong to allow them to serve us, despite it being what they want?
It would be wrong because it creates precedent. If you allow people to profit, directly or indirectly, from an unjust act, then they will be more inclined to commit or support or tolerate that same injustice at a future time.

This is like how courts are not allowed to use evidence they find in an illegal search- it's "fruit of the poisoned tree." You can't let the court say "well sure, the search was illegal, but now that we already have the evidence..." Because if you let them say that, then law enforcement has every reason to start doing illegal searches whenever they are 'really sure' they'll find something they can use as evidence.

It's the same problem. The genetically modified slaves are 'fruit of a poisoned tree,' and we cannot allow ourselves to profit by their willingness to become slaves. If we do, then the next group of would-be slavers have every reason to do the same evil thing in the future.
I had never thought about that.
I do agree with you now.

What you brought up represents an approach that I do believe needs to be explored when I consider my opinion (and support) for all sorts of things, regardless of whether or not my judgment has any bearing on the real world.
That was incredibly enlightening, thanks.
"..history has shown the best defense against heavy cavalry are pikemen, so aircraft should mount lances on their noses and fly in tight squares to fend off bombers". - RedImperator

"ha ha, raping puppies is FUN!" - Johonebesus

"It would just be Unicron with pew pew instead of nom nom". - Vendetta, explaining his justified disinterest in the idea of the movie Allspark affecting the Death Star
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

...Uh, wow. Thanks!

I'd say it's basically just a normal ethical precaution, an extension of a question you've probably asked yourself a zillion times, really.

The question is, does this thing come from an ethical source? If it doesn't, and then if I make use of it, am I enabling people to profit from unethical actions? Am I enabling people to convince themselves that an unethical action will profit me?

If I am enabling others' unethical actions in those ways, then their actions are in some measure on my conscience.

I mean heck, this is why stores advertise "food made from locally sourced produce!" or "fair trade coffee!" and succeed in charging extra for the privilege of selling 'ethical' food and drink. Because we do this all the time, you included probably. Conversely, it's why we sometimes refuse to do business with someone who does unethical things, refusing to give them the satisfaction and rewards of profiting from their unethical actions.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov