NASA Announces 1,284 New Exoplanets

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

NASA Announces 1,284 New Exoplanets

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Damn. For reference, this more than doubles the number of known extra-solar planets. But the real kicker?

Nine of them are potentially habitable, meaning Earth-sized and in the Habitable (or "goldilocks") zone where liquid water can exist on their surfaces.

More info in source.
Science Alert wrote:NASA's Kepler Space Telescope mission has just announced the discovery of 1,284 new exoplanets - nine of which could be potentially habitable.

This is the largest number of new planets released at one time, and almost doubles the number of confirmed exoplanets out there in the Universe. The discoveries were made using a new technique that allows scientists to assess the probability that cool blips in the data really are planets, and aren't the result of other astronomical objects.

When Kepler looks for exoplanets, it's looking at the light coming from stars. Any sign of that light dimming slightly before it gets to Kepler could be a result of planet passing in front of its sun.

That's the best system we have so far for spotting these planets outside our Solar System, but it can also lead to a whole lot of false positives, because planets aren't the only thing that can dim a star's light.

In the past, we've had to follow up each of those candidate planet observations one by one from ground-based telescopes, which is incredibly time-consuming and expensive, and it's the reason we only had 984 confirmed exoplanets before this.

But the new validation technique instead assesses the probability that planet candidates really are planets en masse, without any follow-up required.

"Imagine planet candidates as bread crumbs," said Timothy Morton from Princeton University in New Jersey, who developed the new technique. "If we drop a few on the ground we can pick them up one by one. But if you spill a whole bucket full of small crumbs, you're going to need a broom to clean them up."

This new technique is that metaphorical broom. It works by simulating two things: first, how much the shape of a candidate's planet transit signal looks like a planet, statistically speaking; a secondly, how common false positives 'imposter candidates' are out there.

Putting this information together gives scientists a reliability score between zero and one for each planet candidate. Candidates with a reliability greater than 99 percent are called 'validated planets', without having to perform any follow-up observations.

Using this new technique, there are now 1,935 confirmed exoplanets in total, with 1,284 of those being new discoveries.

Of course, the point of all this planet-spotting is to try to answer the big question "are we alone in the Universe?" To figure this out, Kepler also uses the transit signal of planets to work out their size and how far they're situated from their sun - which provides some indication of whether they could potentially host liquid water and maybe even life.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Re: NASA Announces 1,284 New Exoplanets

Post by Simon_Jester »

It used to be we only ever found 'hot Jupiter' exoplanets. At that time I suspected that this might be because those were the easiest planets to detect, and that habitable planets might be found later.

I'm pleased to learn I wasn't wrong about the second half of that belief.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Indeed, this shows they've refined their methods enough to spot smaller bodies, which is awesome.

I still remember the first batch that Kepler found, way back in 2011 or so. We'd just had one lecture on solar system formation, saying that AFAWK rocky planets formed close-in while gas giants could only form further out. Then Kepler gave us a load of close-in hot Jupiters, and at our next lecture in that module the Professor walked in and said "Forget everything I said last week, this is how solar systems form..."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Esquire
Jedi Council Member

Post by Esquire »

I think I remember you complaining about that in one of the Venting threads or something - isn't it nice to know science isn't done yet?
“Heroes are heroes because they are heroic in behavior, not because they won or lost.” Nassim Nicholas Taleb
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Oh it's great. And it's not something I complain about rather "this was hilarious."

SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Post by SpottedKitty »

Simon_Jester wrote:It used to be we only ever found 'hot Jupiter' exoplanets. At that time I suspected that this might be because those were the easiest planets to detect, and that habitable planets might be found later.
Yes, it was only obvious in hindsight, but those early detection techniques were actually best at finding "hot Jupiter" planets. The types of planets we were actually looking for — similar to the ones in our solar system — were almost lost in the signal noise until better techniques came along.
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery
biostem
Jedi Master

Post by biostem »

Does having plankton in a planet's oceans change the reflecting of light from said oceans in any noticeable way, or are we not even close to being able to tell that from these planets, yet?

Because, if something like that did happen, we could, at the very least say "this exoplanet has simple life on it".
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

I think the closest we are to something like that is analysing the gas content of the atmospheres IF we can get some sort of spectrographic reading. Having oxygen in the atmosphere in significant quantities is an indication of Life As We Know It - although Earth itself seems to have had both life and low-oxygen atmosphere in the distant past. Not all Life As We Know It requires oxygen after all, some prefers life without it.

Basically, we still can't directly detect life at such distances, just evidence of life.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
biostem
Jedi Master

Post by biostem »

Broomstick wrote:I think the closest we are to something like that is analysing the gas content of the atmospheres IF we can get some sort of spectrographic reading. Having oxygen in the atmosphere in significant quantities is an indication of Life As We Know It - although Earth itself seems to have had both life and low-oxygen atmosphere in the distant past. Not all Life As We Know It requires oxygen after all, some prefers life without it.

Basically, we still can't directly detect life at such distances, just evidence of life.

OK, so the best case scenario would be an Earth-sized planet, in the habitable zone, whose atmosphere has a similar composition to our own.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

I'd say we're definitely getting our money's worth out of Kepler. They need to build another one, and fast!
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Post by SpottedKitty »

Broomstick wrote:Having oxygen in the atmosphere in significant quantities is an indication of Life As We Know It - although Earth itself seems to have had both life and low-oxygen atmosphere in the distant past.
<nod> It took a while to work out, but life actually carried on very well for about a billion years before Earth had any measurable oxygen in the atmosphere. Detectable oxygen might be a marker for a well-developed ecosystem, then, where photosynthesis or an equivalent has had a good long time to create an Oxygen Catastrophe.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

I recently read a book that, among many other things, argues that there may not have been an oxygen "catastrophe" but rather a gradual transition from a planet with virtually no free oxygen to our present state. Interesting read.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Well as I understand it, even the oxygen "catastrophe" would have happened over millions of years anyways...it was just abrupt on a geological timeline.
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

I thought that nobody has figured a way to observe the planets directly and the discoveries simply allowed to tell a planet's size and their distance from the sun?
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Zixinus wrote:I thought that nobody has figured a way to observe the planets directly and the discoveries simply allowed to tell a planet's size and their distance from the sun?
You are correct, most planets outside of a handful of the closest cannot be directly imaged yet. However based on size and speed, they can determine mass which can help narrow down what kind of planet it is. For instance, a gas giant would be quite a bit more massive than a rocky world.
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

Borgholio wrote:I'd say we're definitely getting our money's worth out of Kepler. They need to build another one, and fast!
They are. The Transiting Exoplanet Survey Satellite (TESS) is due to launch next year.

Hopefully this one has some backup reaction wheels.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

They are. The Transiting Exoplanet Survey Satellite (TESS) is due to launch next year.
Huh, so this one will be a full sky survey instead of just one slice? That's going to bring back more data than we know what to do with.
Hopefully this one has some backup reaction wheels.
That's exactly what I was thinking.
SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Post by SpottedKitty »

Borgholio wrote:Well as I understand it, even the oxygen "catastrophe" would have happened over millions of years anyways...it was just abrupt on a geological timeline.
FWIW, calling it the "Oxygen Catastrophe" isn't meant to imply anything sudden, only that it was a complete game-changer from previous environmental conditions. Oxygen is pretty much a supercharger for life; everything with other metabolisms just couldn't compete on the same level.

And yes, the change did take a very long time. To begin with, any oxygen produced would have been quickly absorbed by the oceans. Once they were saturated, oxygen would have started appearing in small amounts in the atmosphere... where it would have been immediately absorbed by surface rocks. It wasn't until all these "oxygen sinks" were saturated that the atmospheric concentration began to slowly creep up. That was maybe less than a billion years ago.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Actually, iron suspended in the ocean's water absorbed a jillion craptons of the released oxygen and became surface rocks, that later became buried. These are now known as banded iron formations and are, and have been through history, the major source of iron ore for civilization.

And while oxygen is a "supercharger" for metabolism, it's also a toxin. It's a toxin even to life forms like us that utterly depend on it for our continued existence. It's just that our bodies have evolved multiple clever ways to deal with the toxic effects of oxygen even as we use it for fueling our metabolisms.

SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Post by SpottedKitty »

Broomstick wrote:Actually, iron suspended in the ocean's water absorbed a jillion craptons of the released oxygen and became surface rocks, that later became buried. These are now known as banded iron formations and are, and have been through history, the major source of iron ore for civilization.
I was going to mention that in my post, but I edited it so many times, I kinda forgot. :oops:

And one of the best places to see the original oxygen producers and those iron deposits together is Australia — there are beds of fossilised stromatolites here and there along the coast, and most of the interior is thick layers of that red iron ore.

Yes, all of it. And this was happening probably all over the world. I suspect your figure of "a jillion craptons" is a bit of an underestimate. :wink:
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Northern Minnesota and the Upper Peninsula of Michigan are on top of massive, massive banded iron formations (BIFs), among other places. The lower bits of the Grand Canyon in Southwestern North America shows them in all their grandeur. Basically, if a bit of land is more than a billion years old it will either be a BIF or lying on top of a BIF. They really do exist all over the planet.

And all of them were made by life.

Which is just an awesome fact.

Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

Out of curiosity just what are the practical implications of this? Like aside from something to entertain us briefly before being forgotten what does this mean for human kind?
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Purple wrote:Out of curiosity just what are the practical implications of this? Like aside from something to entertain us briefly before being forgotten what does this mean for human kind?
None at the moment. It's just something to look forward to, assuming we don't well, truly, and permanently fuck ourselves over, before going out into space.
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
—29th Scroll, 6th Verse of Ape Law
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
---Doctor Christine Blasey-Ford
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

Maybe it's just me but I don't really see how we are ever supposed to "go into space" when it comes to stuff further out than our own solar system. I mean, even assuming we solve all the myriad of myriads of problems associated with long distance space travel and somehow find the money to what than? What use is there of a colony of 50 people on a place that is decades away in terms of radio delay? I just don't really see any practical way to expand into space by colonizing planets.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

[sarcasm]But, according to idiots who keep regurgitating that damned "NASA Spaceflight" blog, our boys at NASA are supposed to confirm Star Trek predictions(and therefore its supremacy amongst all media, especially science fiction), and develop the warp drive real soon now.[/sarcasm]

It's not you. Interstellar travel is not practical right now, until we develop a near-c or trans-c drive system that will reduce the travel time to make such extrasolar travel and colonization a going proposition.

And, when we do(okay, if we do), it will only be after generations of scientists lay down the groundwork on which the "breakthrough" can be built, not some barely-funded crackpot and his concept art.

That groundwork including, of course, determining if Alcubierre's calculations are a dead end.
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
—29th Scroll, 6th Verse of Ape Law
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
---Doctor Christine Blasey-Ford