Unusually Warm Weather

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

Zor
Sith Acolyte

Unusually Warm Weather

Post by Zor »

Here is the high temperatures for Winnipeg, Manitoba on May 5th over the previous six years. (Source).
  • 2010: 7.8 °C
  • 2011: 18.2 °C
  • 2012: 19.3 °C
  • 2013: 18.9 °C
  • 2014: 13 °C
  • 2015: 24.9 °C
As of the time I am making this thread (about 5pm May 5th, 2016) the current temperature is 34°C. It's beaten the previous record high by more than two degrees. And we still have global warming denying clowns in abundance.

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Re: Unusually Warm Weather

Post by Purple »

One warm day global warming does not make. Like it's probably snowing on the south pole right now! And you ain't got no warning if you have snow now does you! :lol:
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
TithonusSyndrome
Sith Devotee

Post by TithonusSyndrome »

I can't wait until all the perfunctory bullshit about how we can't be playing politics in the middle of crisis ceases to hold sway and we can finally have an earnest, adult discussion of global warming in Alberta. There's nothing political about the scientific global consensus, but it took the biggest wildfire disaster in modern Canadian history to present even a remote chance of real dialogue. Pathetic.
jwl
Jedi Master

Post by jwl »

The high temperature of a single city on a single day over a seven year timespan doesn't tell you much. Especially since this is in a city, so is susceptible to the urban heat island effect and such due to any new buildings, and double especially since the most likely explanation for the majority of any legitimate global temperature increase 2014-2016 is the El Nino more than global warming. To show global warming you need a more long term effect over a much larger area, and on overall average temperature, not cherrypicking one warm day of the year over a short time period.

If we were to take your argument on this data at face value, you're looking at a 15 degree rise in ~10 years, extrapolating to a 50 degree rise by 2050. That puts the 2 degree warming target in rather an interesting position.

Bad arguments for global warming makes climate science look bad. Don't do it.