Surviving Disaster: Chernobyl

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Surviving Disaster: Chernobyl

Post by Zaune »

Thought some people here might be interested in this: A BBC dramatisation of the events leading up to and immediately after the reactor accident. It's impressively even-handed: It shows the negligence and poor decision-making that led to the disaster, but also the incredible courage of the Russian and Ukrainian military and emergency services personnel who prevented it becoming far worse than it was.

Fair warning, though, there's disturbing imagery throughout.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Re: Surviving Disaster: Chernobyl

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

I remember watching this when it was first shown, and it's just as well-done this time.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.