How many farmed rhinos would be needed?

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

How many farmed rhinos would be needed?

Post by madd0ct0r »

to supply global demand by impotent men?
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Esquire
Jedi Council Member

Re: How many farmed rhinos would be needed?

Post by Esquire »

In 2014, 1215 rhinos were poached. Surely not all of these were due to demand for the horn, but as poaching is illegal this figure is also almost certainly far below actual demand. Let us suppose that anti-poaching efforts have prevented half of the total rhino poaching that would have occurred without them, as a ballpark estimate. That leaves us 2430 rhinos killed yearly without anti-poaching efforts.

A rhino horn weighs between 1 and 3 kilograms. At about 2 grams the dose, that's, on average, 4,000 doses per horn, or around 9.72 million doses per year. Assuming a man takes one dose per day, that would supply 26,630 people.
“Heroes are heroes because they are heroic in behavior, not because they won or lost.” Nassim Nicholas Taleb
Esquire
Jedi Council Member

Post by Esquire »

... And I just realized I answered the exact opposite question. I don't have any idea how many people want rhino horn, but that same 1215 figure from 2015 is supplying around 4.865 million doses, or 13,315 people. Less any horn used for other purposes, such as curios or Yemeni adulthood knives.
“Heroes are heroes because they are heroic in behavior, not because they won or lost.” Nassim Nicholas Taleb
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Rhinos would be hard to farm.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

It would be time-consuming and require a lot of land, to be sure. Male rhinos need at least 10 years before they reach sexual maturity, about five times as long as a cow (although alligators take a similar amount of time, and we farm those).

It's a possibility, although in the mean-time I think we'd be better off trying to save a breeding population that's had its horns removed. Or see if there are any hornless variants, like with elephants (in a prior wave of poaching, tuskless elephants shot up in number in east African parks).
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
Jaepheth
Jedi Master

Post by Jaepheth »

If I remember correctly there's also the problem that the sympathetic magic bullshit calls for wild animal parts because they're more potent than their captive raised counterparts.
Children of the Ancients
I'm sorry, but the number you have dialed is imaginary. Please rotate the phone by 90 degrees and try again.
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

Jaepheth wrote:If I remember correctly there's also the problem that the sympathetic magic bullshit calls for wild animal parts because they're more potent than their captive raised counterparts.
Sure, but farmed will always be cheaper and more conveniently accessible than poached or even legitimately hunted (if that was a thing). If you were given the choice between trying to find someone to sell you an illegally acquired poached wild rhino horn pill that has 100% capability for say 1000 euro or having 5 pills made out of farmed rhinos with 20% capability each for a total of 100 euro across the counter which would you be more likely to go for?
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

John Hume has raised about 750 rhino so far (saw on the news last night). He explicitly wants legal trade to undercut poaching and make it unprofitable. Even if there is demand for 'wild' rhino, the vast majority traded would be the safely farmed stuff with a bit of relabelling. The big money would flow to the tour organizers where you track and dehorn a rhino yourself to be assured of the 'purity'

http://africageographic.com/blog/legali ... -of-greed/ 750 rhinos here.

http://annamiticus.com/2013/10/20/china ... g-details/ Accusations china is trying to set up its own rhino farms....
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Me2005
Padawan Learner

Post by Me2005 »

Simon_Jester wrote:Rhinos would be hard to farm.
Isn't the bigger problem that they'd be farmed just for, what, like 5% of their body mass? At least with cows, bison, and aligators, we use the whole thing.

Then again, searching for that I learned that rhino horn is more valuable than gold, so a 55kg horn is worth about 2 million dollars. As long as they can graze, you'd come out ahead raising nearly any animal for 10 years if that's the payout. Another random google shows elephants costing up to $100,000/year, and that's probably without grazing, so you'd easily come out with $100,000/year payout raising rhinos.

Shoot, I may need to take up rhino farming...

:lol:
biostem
Jedi Master

Post by biostem »

Heck, if you started farming them, I'm sure you could turn the hide and meat into profitable side-markets as well. Maybe bring back some form of scrimshaw using the bones...
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

Im pretty sure the price would crash when the supply ceases to be so constrained. How do you predict what it would end up at? Cost of farming plus 50%?
slebetman
Padawan Learner

Post by slebetman »

Me2005 wrote:
Simon_Jester wrote:Rhinos would be hard to farm.
Isn't the bigger problem that they'd be farmed just for, what, like 5% of their body mass? At least with cows, bison, and aligators, we use the whole thing.
The rhino has an advantage here. The profitable part, the horn, can be harvested without killing the animal. The horn will regrow in time and can be re-harvested.

The economics then shifts to how long a rhino takes to regrow the horn and how much it costs to maintain a rhino during that period of time vs the price of the harvested horn.
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

three years to regrow, and mothers can bear more calfs during that period.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

biostem wrote:Heck, if you started farming them, I'm sure you could turn the hide and meat into profitable side-markets as well. Maybe bring back some form of scrimshaw using the bones...
The downside of this--

Leather and meat are already well established markets, and you would have to develop both commercially effective methods of tanning the leather and a way to ensure that the meat is approved for public, human consumption.

That said, the leather could have certain uses; the trick is finding out what. It's a bit of a niche item, frankly, as it would be unusually tough and thick from what I understand (depends on species to a degree but uniformly rhinos are understood to be rather thick-skinned, and that's literal). The meat is apparently edible enough that I can find references to it online-- not many, but it's out there. So the trick is making sure that you can farm a fairly consistent product that's reasonably parasite or disease free.

Bone scrimshaw... eh. The bones would be better used processed as fertilizer or dried and sold as tourist products in various forms, but you can already do that with bovine remains for far cheaper.

In general-- remember the discussion that we had some time ago about time-travelling to pre-Columbian America? At one point in that discussion there was mention made of domestication. It's a lengthy process, and unless you want to have free-range animals wandering the who knows where to fend for themselves, you're going to have to confine them to some extent, and that's a feat with megafauna. So... you're welcome to try. Good luck.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

The bones will be sold as horn. Seriously. Once you grind both down who is going to say what white powder came from which part of the body?
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
jwl
Jedi Master

Post by jwl »

Going by the information posted in this thread, we can find at number to the question asked in the OP. According to Google, the lifespan of a rhino is about 40 years. Taking off 10 years to mature, this means they can produce 10 horns in that 40-year lifespan, meaning you need 9720 rhinos to sustain 2430 horns per year.
Bedlam
Jedi Master

Post by Bedlam »

Purple wrote:The bones will be sold as horn. Seriously. Once you grind both down who is going to say what white powder came from which part of the body?
Well I don't know for certain but they could be chemically very different. At least some horns are made of a modified version of hair which is different from bone.
Purple
Sith Acolyte

Post by Purple »

Bedlam wrote:
Purple wrote:The bones will be sold as horn. Seriously. Once you grind both down who is going to say what white powder came from which part of the body?
Well I don't know for certain but they could be chemically very different. At least some horns are made of a modified version of hair which is different from bone.
How many primitive folk medicine believing savages have a laboratory in their basement to check?

jwl
Jedi Master

Post by jwl »

If it's chemically different, it will probably smell and taste different, too. Also, if you've going to do that, why bother with rhinos in the first place? Sell them ground-up cow bones.
Purple
Sith Acolyte

Post by Purple »

jwl wrote:If it's chemically different, it will probably smell and taste different, too. Also, if you've going to do that, why bother with rhinos in the first place? Sell them ground-up cow bones.
For the same reason why processed food, with all the additives that go in it to make it smell and taste like real food still contains some actual product. Legitimacy. I honestly foresee the rhino trade going the way of processed food in this. Grind the whole thing down, flavor it, add smell enhancers, add sugar to make it addictive and ship.