Electrical Theory for Laymen

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

Boeing 757
Padawan Learner
Location: Εν ενί γαλαξία μένω, ον συ ου δύνασαι ευρείν χωρίς διαστημικού οχήματος.

Electrical Theory for Laymen

Post by Boeing 757 »

Hey all,

I would like to explore electrical science just for the sake of personal and career betterment and eventually some point in the future experiment with electrical devices. I am hoping that maybe one of members here on the this board will be able to suggest a reliable and easily digestible book of worth for someone just only beginning to dabble in this field? I've taken physics classes in college and have an all right perception of it, but that happened years ago. I fly aircraft for a living and that requires some basic understanding of electrical devices, but I want more hands-on experience. Thank you in advance for any suggestions, greatly appreciated.
Omnia praesumuntur legitime facta donec probetur in contrarium.

Kritisches Denken schützt vor Illusionen.

Παν μέτρον άριστον τῷ κρατίστῳ.
Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Re: Electrical Theory for Laymen

Post by Napoleon the Clown »

Khan Academy may just be the best resource on the internet for education purposes. I dunno how in depth the electrical engineering videos I linked will get, but they're probably a good start. Most of the videos on the sight are designed with a layperson in mind.
Sig images are for people who aren't fucking lazy.
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

You could try Autodesks 123d Circuits. It´s a free and virtual breadboard into which can plug a bunch of electronic components. You can even hook up a virtual Arduino and program it.
They´ve also got tutorials and stuff like that.
If you give it a try let me know if you like it. I used it a year or so ago but it seems that the new version that is up now has little to do the beta from then.
Boeing 757
Padawan Learner
Location: Εν ενί γαλαξία μένω, ον συ ου δύνασαι ευρείν χωρίς διαστημικού οχήματος.

Post by Boeing 757 »

Thank you both very much!
Omnia praesumuntur legitime facta donec probetur in contrarium.

Kritisches Denken schützt vor Illusionen.

Παν μέτρον άριστον τῷ κρατίστῳ.