So Wolfram Alpha and Wikipedia are giving me two very different values for the distances of certain stars.

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

SMJB
Padawan Learner

So Wolfram Alpha and Wikipedia are giving me two very different values for the distances of certain stars.

Post by SMJB »

Just based on the reputations of both sites, I'm inclined to believe WA more, but it'd be nice if I had more to go on than that, so...what sites should I trust with this? Mind you, the ultimate goal is to know the distance from one star to another, so sites that can do that for me would save me a lot of work.
Simon_Jester wrote:"WHERE IS YOUR MISSILEGOD NOW!?"
Starglider wrote:* Simon stared coldly across the table at the student, who had just finnished explaining the link between the certainty of young earth creation and the divinely ordained supremacy of the white race. "I am updating my P values", Simon said through thinned lips, "to a direction and degree you will find... most unfavourable."
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Re: So Wolfram Alpha and Wikipedia are giving me two very different values for the distances of certain stars.

Post by Gaidin »

Ok. The question of the day is not why you're now going to wikipedia, but what is wikipedia citing? That's where you start untangling this mess.
SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Re: So Wolfram Alpha and Wikipedia are giving me two very different values for the distances of certain stars.

Post by SpottedKitty »

Even with all the measurement techniques we have nowadays, there's still a lot of wiggle room and uncertainty in stellar distances. There are exceptions such as Cepheid variables and Type 1a Supernovae, both of which are predictable enough in their behaviour to be used as standard candles out to intergalactic ranges, and anything close enough to be measured directly by parallax, which is only good for a few hundred parsecs. Which stars were you looking at?
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

So you want a definite answer to a very vague question? What stars? Do you mean the distance between Johnny Depp and Robert Downey Jr? BE. MORE. SPECIFIC.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

Now this is really making my curious, what stars were they?
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

I am going to come out here and first ask for links and ask what is the methodology used to measure the distances. As far as I know, the usual way of measuring distances is using an interferometric telescope setup and relying on the coherence length of the light sources to measure the distance.
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
SMJB
Padawan Learner

Post by SMJB »

I'm looking at stars ~15-20 lightyears from Sol and ~10 lightyears from Tau Ceti.

Wikipedia has a list of the closest stars to Earth*, and Wolfram Alpha has a function where you can type "distance from X to Y" and it'll calculate it**, assuming you use a star name it recognizes (it's particularly bad at the Glieses, in my experience--keeps thinking you're talking about asteroids).

* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_n ... own_dwarfs
** for example: http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=di ... o+HIP+1242
Simon_Jester wrote:"WHERE IS YOUR MISSILEGOD NOW!?"
Starglider wrote:* Simon stared coldly across the table at the student, who had just finnished explaining the link between the certainty of young earth creation and the divinely ordained supremacy of the white race. "I am updating my P values", Simon said through thinned lips, "to a direction and degree you will find... most unfavourable."
Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Post by Napoleon the Clown »

So... Where are you getting conflicting answers? Because that Wikipedia link doesn't seem to give distances between the stars in question, just their distance from Earth. And, um, stars are arranged in three dimensions. They're not all lined up in a nice, pretty line.

I decided to be super, duper nice to you and look at the WA calculation for the distance between Earth and HIP 1242, then compared it to Wikipedia. Here's a hint on figuring out which one is reliable: Check the citation linked for the Wikipedia article and see if it has the distance anywhere. (It does not.) This is why you need to actually read the damn citations instead of going "Eh, sounds reputable."

By using a bit of Google, I find a website that gives the distance to HIP 1242 in parsecs, and when I multiply that out into light years the number agrees with WA. So, um, use WA.
Sig images are for people who aren't fucking lazy.
SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Post by SpottedKitty »

Hmm, well, if you're talking about tiny distances like that — not even 10 parsecs — then parallax measurements are going to be pretty accurate. Note that, as always with Wikipedia YMMV (literally in this case), so you'd be best to dig out some original data sources.
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery