Breaking: Alzheimers disease the result of fungal infection

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Breaking: Alzheimers disease the result of fungal infection

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

http://www.nature.com/articles/srep15015

Full article is Open Access
The possibility that Alzheimer’s disease (AD) has a microbial aetiology has been proposed by several researchers. Here, we provide evidence that tissue from the central nervous system (CNS) of AD patients contain fungal cells and hyphae. Fungal material can be detected both intra- and extracellularly using specific antibodies against several fungi. Different brain regions including external frontal cortex, cerebellar hemisphere, entorhinal cortex/hippocampus and choroid plexus contain fungal material, which is absent in brain tissue from control individuals. Analysis of brain sections from ten additional AD patients reveals that all are infected with fungi. Fungal infection is also observed in blood vessels, which may explain the vascular pathology frequently detected in AD patients. Sequencing of fungal DNA extracted from frozen CNS samples identifies several fungal species. Collectively, our findings provide compelling evidence for the existence of fungal infection in the CNS from AD patients, but not in control individuals.
So...yeah. I mean there is not a whole lot of commentary I can officer, other than the fact that this completely overturns the commonly accepted etiology of the disease. And if it is an infection, it can actually be treated. Which is sooo damned cool.
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Re: Breaking: Alzheimers disease the result of fungal infect

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

I think the only comment I can offer is: fuck yeah, medicine!
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Also: Diana Pisa, Ruth Alonso, Alberto Rábano, Izaskun Rodal & Luis Carrasco are probably going to win the Nobel.
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Rather reminiscent of the discovery that H. pylori was implicated in most gastric ulcers, completely changing how the problem is treated. Except, of course, Alzheimer's is even more devastating than stomach ulcers.

Presumably, these results will need independent confirmation? Then we "just" have the problem of treating a fungal infection, which isn't always straightforward, but it would a great breakthrough to have an actual treatment for the root cause rather than for the symptoms.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Darmalus
Jedi Master

Post by Darmalus »

Presumably, we'd also be able to do something preventive as well for those not infected? Or is fungus particularly difficult in that arena?
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

This is good news, especially if this is confirmed (although I take it that finding fungal tissue in the affected area where there are non in healthy individuals is pretty strong). One less horrible way to die a slow death. Great work for those that discovered this.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Darmalus wrote:Presumably, we'd also be able to do something preventive as well for those not infected? Or is fungus particularly difficult in that arena?
It being a fungal infection fits with it affecting mostly older people whose immune function is not as strong as in younger people. The genetic links previously found may be susceptibility to such infections. Poorly controlled diabetes is also a risk factor, but diabetics are prone to fungal infections in general so that also makes sense.

Fungal infections are difficult to treat because fungal cells are closer to our cells that our cells are to bacteria or viruses. Thus, what kills/inhibits fungal cells is more likely to cause similar effects in our own cells.

Prevention would be trying to maintain good general health, monitoring immune function, and treating infections early. I'm not aware of any vaccines for fungal infections.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Think of a fungus as an animal cell with a cell wall like plants. They are physiologically very similar to us, and have the same processes, but their cells are a little tougher as well so they. Hard to Kill puts it mildly, and because their physiology is very much like our own, the medications that kill them tend to be very toxic to us in the same way that anti-parasitic drugs tend to be. Anti-fungal prophylaxis is unlikely to be an option, and to make matters worse, most antifungals dont absorb through the blood-brain barrier very well.

But it is a start. Clinical trials can begin to see if an existing medication will do the job without killing the patient, and if necessary new ones can be found/engineered, or a more efficient delivery method found (like a tailored virus, or nano-particle delivery system).

Zeropoint
Jedi Knight

Post by Zeropoint »

This is the best (if true) news I've heard in a long time! Alzheimer's is my biggest fear about aging--I can accept death, but the idea of my mind decaying until everything that makes me who I am is gone, while I watch, horrifies me.
I'm a cis-het white male, and I oppose racism, sexism, homophobia, and transphobia. I support treating all humans equally.

When fascism came to America, it was wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.

That which will not bend must break and that which can be destroyed by truth should never be spared its demise.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Alyrium Denryle wrote:Think of a fungus as an animal cell with a cell wall like plants. They are physiologically very similar to us, and have the same processes, but their cells are a little tougher as well so they. Hard to Kill puts it mildly, and because their physiology is very much like our own, the medications that kill them tend to be very toxic to us in the same way that anti-parasitic drugs tend to be. Anti-fungal prophylaxis is unlikely to be an option, and to make matters worse, most antifungals dont absorb through the blood-brain barrier very well.

But it is a start. Clinical trials can begin to see if an existing medication will do the job without killing the patient, and if necessary new ones can be found/engineered, or a more efficient delivery method found (like a tailored virus, or nano-particle delivery system).
There's a thought, are there any viruses that attack fungal cells but not animal cells?
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Probably.

Viruses can be very species or other biological subdivision specific. The trouble would be 1) finding one that kills the fungus, 2) does not make us ill, and 3) can be safely and reliably delivered to where its needed.

Those are actually all pretty major tasks.

Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Eternal_Freedom wrote:
Alyrium Denryle wrote:Think of a fungus as an animal cell with a cell wall like plants. They are physiologically very similar to us, and have the same processes, but their cells are a little tougher as well so they. Hard to Kill puts it mildly, and because their physiology is very much like our own, the medications that kill them tend to be very toxic to us in the same way that anti-parasitic drugs tend to be. Anti-fungal prophylaxis is unlikely to be an option, and to make matters worse, most antifungals dont absorb through the blood-brain barrier very well.

There's a thought, are there any viruses that attack fungal cells but not animal cells?
Ooooh yeah. I dont know what they are, but they exist. There is a virus that attacks pretty much every other organism, I am not too worried about finding one that will attack the fungi, or that can be modified slightly to do so.

NoXion
Padawan Learner

Post by NoXion »

Given that fungal cells possess a cell wall and animal cells do not, would it not be possible at least in principle to develop an anti-fungal medication that works by attacking fungal cell walls? Do fungal cell walls provide any protection from the immune system of the host?
Does it follow that I reject all authority? Perish the thought. In the matter of boots, I defer to the authority of the boot-maker - Mikhail Bakunin
Capital is reckless of the health or length of life of the laborer, unless under compulsion from society - Karl Marx
Pollution is nothing but the resources we are not harvesting. We allow them to disperse because we've been ignorant of their value - R. Buckminster Fuller
The important thing is not to be human but to be humane - Eliezer S. Yudkowsky

Nova Mundi, my laughable attempt at an original worldbuilding/gameplay project
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

I would think a cell wall would slow down, not totally stop the immune system from destroying the cell. I would suspect right now the immune system simply doesn't see it as a threat and doesn't even act against it.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

We already have quite a few anti fungal medications. Generally healthy re : non immunosuppress patients don't need it. They tend to be utilised in patients who had high doses of chemo or HIV patients.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Borgholio wrote:I would think a cell wall would slow down, not totally stop the immune system from destroying the cell. I would suspect right now the immune system simply doesn't see it as a threat and doesn't even act against it.
Slowing down the immune response's attempts to kill an infecting cell can be extremely effective. If the immune system isn't able to kill the fungi faster than they breed, the fungus 'wins' and can colonize the body at will.

By contrast, becoming outright invisible to the immune system is very difficult, except in blatantly immunocompromised people. And if Alzheimer's only affected immunocompromised people we'd have noticed by now. Instead, it seems as though it affects only old people.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Having lost more than one relative to Alzheimer's, I find this to be amazing news.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

Perhaps therapies to boost the immune system might be effective. Maybe vaccination is possible?
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
fnord
Jedi Knight

Post by fnord »

Same here, Gandalf. I lost a great-aunt to it a few months ago. Was the end of a years-long downward slide.

HDS, yeah, from reading that paper, it seems that immune-boosting methods would be part of an approach to tackle AD in patients with these fungal-infection markers.

Even if this paper only directly lights the way towards treating/delaying/reversing/curing a chunk of AD patients, I can take heart in the observation that treatments only tend to get better.
A mad person thinks there's a gateway to hell in his basement. A mad genius builds one and turns it on. - CaptainChewbacca
Geodd
Youngling

Post by Geodd »

Seems like a bit of a longshot, but it's a very testable longshot and I hope people get working on it asap.

That said, thank god I'm unlikely to be in the position of giving old frail people shit like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amphotericin_B
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

Though there clearly seems to be a relationship between the two, as the researchers noted it's equally possible that the fungal infection is the result of Alzheimer's rather than the cause. Perhaps the brain deterioration merely provides a good breeding ground for the fungus. If that were the case, we may still have positive outcomes - it's possible the fungus doesn't directly cause Alzheimer's, but it might eventually help point to what the true causes are. We don't know enough yet, though this discovery is certainly a step in the right direction.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

We must be careful, lots of people die from 'Alzheimer's' but don't have that particular disease. The only way I'm aware of the confirm is by autopsy. Plenty of people have vascular dementia, or Parkingson's dementia, or good old dementia but are referred to as 'Alzheimer's'.

That said, a good round of anti fungals to 'rule out' Alzheimer's isn't a bad thing.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Those other dementias actually do manifest differently, at least some of the time. My mother very clearly suffered from vascular dementia, not Alzheimer's, but outside of medical specialists a lot of people just assume all dementia is the same.

montypython
Jedi Master

Post by montypython »

Simon_Jester wrote:
Borgholio wrote:I would think a cell wall would slow down, not totally stop the immune system from destroying the cell. I would suspect right now the immune system simply doesn't see it as a threat and doesn't even act against it.
Slowing down the immune response's attempts to kill an infecting cell can be extremely effective. If the immune system isn't able to kill the fungi faster than they breed, the fungus 'wins' and can colonize the body at will.

By contrast, becoming outright invisible to the immune system is very difficult, except in blatantly immunocompromised people. And if Alzheimer's only affected immunocompromised people we'd have noticed by now. Instead, it seems as though it affects only old people.
Alzheimer's does affect some folks starting in their 40's or 50's, so it isn't necessarily old people alone. Looking at early onset Alzheimer's patients might even be significant in examining the relationship between the disease and fungal infection.