Project Apollo Archive - All Images Now Online

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Project Apollo Archive - All Images Now Online

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

So, this happened recently. As a companion to the Lunar Surface Journal, we now have the Project Apollo Archive, a free online collection of high-quality scans of all ~13,000 photograph staken by crews on NASA's Apollo missions. Currently about 9,000 are online, the remainder will be up within a week or so.

As a spaceflight geek the only reasonable response to this is Awesome!
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Re: Project Apollo Archive - All Images Now Online

Post by Terralthra »

Fuck yeah.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

That is also an acceptable response :D
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Post by SpottedKitty »

Heh, I remember when I first came across the LSJ waybackwhen, not long after I first got online properly. The bits I really enjoyed were the landing movies taken with the sequence camera that was looking out of the LM window. Every single time we see them on TV, they're exactly as the camera took them — but the camera was mounted on a bracket at an angle, and run at a slow speed (only 6 fps for A11), so we always see the landing tilted over, running at Ludicrous Speed.

Until someone got the bright idea of correcting the tilt and speed, and patching in the LM/CAPCOM sound recordings. The results are mesmerising. I just wish it could be done again with more modern movie captures; this was in the days of SVGA monitors, dialup connections and slow modems, so the video clips are tiny.

Also well worth a listen is the sound clip of the last ten minutes of the descent from orbit; it's stereo, you can hear the Flight loop (Gene Kranz and the various controllers) in one ear, and the LM/CAPCOM loop in the other ear. The first time I heard it, I was still tingling half an hour later. :wink:
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery