pluto is officially red

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

dragon
Sith Marauder

pluto is officially red

Post by dragon »

In the 85 years that we’ve known about Pluto, it’s never been more than a blurry dot—even through our most powerful Earth-orbiting telescopes. But thanks to NASA’s New Horizons spacecraft, currently approaching Pluto for its long-awaited flyby on on July 14th, we now have a better idea than ever of what the dwarf-planet really looks like.

Most popular renderings of Pluto are a cooler bluish grey. This is perhaps a result of our conception of the body as comprised mostly of ice, which we know to be blue or white on Earth. But last week, NASA has released new renderings that confirm we’ve been picturing it wrong all along. Pluto is red.

According to NASA, "the reddish color is likely caused by hydrocarbon molecules that are formed when cosmic rays and solar ultraviolet light interact with methane in Pluto’s atmosphere and on its surface." And although Pluto's reddish colouring has been known for decades, this is the first time it has been directly observed.

These new, detailed renderings are a composite of images taken with the Long Range Reconnaissance Imager ("LORRI"), designed to capture high resolution images from visible wavelengths, and Ralph, a telescope that can capture images in the visual light near-infrared imaging spectrums. Topographical information from LORRI was coloured with images from Ralph.
link

link
"There are very few problems that cannot be solved by the suitable application of photon torpedoes
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Re: pluto is officially red

Post by Purple »

What do they care? They already made it not a planet. So what do they care what color it is? *spits*
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Old image of Pluto taken by Hubble in 2000. I remember seeing it as a kid, I guess it was quite prophetic as it turns out.

Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

I am so wallpapering the first high-res closeup we get from Pluto. It's going to be magnificent.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Titan Uranus
Padawan Learner

Post by Titan Uranus »

Is Charon really that close, or is that just Photoshopped?
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

It's that close. Charon and Pluto are in some ways a binary planet system. The barycenter is actually above the surface of Pluto.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Purple wrote:What do they care? They already made it not a planet. So what do they care what color it is? *spits*
Go be a trolling idiot elsewhere. This is cool.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:
Purple wrote:What do they care? They already made it not a planet. So what do they care what color it is? *spits*
Go be a trolling idiot elsewhere. This is cool.
I seriously do not see a point.
1. What possible benefit can human kind ever get from knowing the color of a planet?
2. Why do they even care given that they already did their best to exclude and diminish it for the sole purpose of change for the sake of change?

#1 in particular is something that I think about a lot when reading these astronomy threads. A lot of the stuff discovered just has no practical application beyond knowledge for the sake of knowledge. Am I missing something here?
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Um, yes, apparently you're missing the innate human desire to know more about things.

The colour of a planet (or any object) can tell you a huge amount about it. For instance, the colour tells you what part of the visible spectrum is mostly being reflected, in this case red light (EArth would be blueish, for comparison). The fact that it's red narrows down the surface composition to a smaller range of chemicals, in this case apparently hydrocarbons, which are large complex molecules resulting from fancy interactions.

For another example, Mars looks red because the surface is rich in Iron Oxide. If we were looking at Mars as a brand-new planet in a different solar system (currently impossible, but we're getting there) we could surmise that the surface was also rich in Iron Oxide. That's significant.

As for why Pluto became a dwarf planet, it's because we realised that if we kept Pluto as a proper planet, we would also haveto include Charon, Ceres, posible Vesta and Pallas (the last two are large asteroids int he main belt) Sedna, Halakea, Makemake and the other 20+ dwarf bodies. it would so weaken the definition of "planet" that it'd be unworkable when we started seeing extra-solar planets. So it wasn't "change for the sake of change" it was scientists gathering new data, realising their definition and hypothesis didn't fit and thus they changed said definition and hypothesis. It's what scientists do.

As for other stuff in astronomy, well, it can have some massive implications. For instance, there was a paper presented today at the Royal Astronomical Society that reveals there are a lot more supermassive black holes than previously seen, which may account for some of the "missing mass" of the universe, which would change our theories on how the universe came into being. That's a big damn deal.

If you can't grasp this, I truly pity you.

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Purple
Sith Acolyte

Post by Purple »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:Um, yes, apparently you're missing the innate human desire to know more about things.
You do not understand my question. I am not asking why a hypothetical human might want to know this. I my self do and find it neat. I am asking what possible actual physical benefit human kind has from doing so that justifies actually spending money on it. Since "neat" is something you can get out of quite a lot of things which are cheaper.
As for why Pluto became a dwarf planet, it's because we realised that if we kept Pluto as a proper planet, we would also haveto include Charon, Ceres, posible Vesta and Pallas (the last two are large asteroids int he main belt) Sedna, Halakea, Makemake and the other 20+ dwarf bodies. it would so weaken the definition of "planet" that it'd be unworkable when we started seeing extra-solar planets. So it wasn't "change for the sake of change" it was scientists gathering new data, realising their definition and hypothesis didn't fit and thus they changed said definition and hypothesis. It's what scientists do.
I fail to see how having more planets would have been a bad thing or how it would have made the definition useless.
As for other stuff in astronomy, well, it can have some massive implications. For instance, there was a paper presented today at the Royal Astronomical Society that reveals there are a lot more supermassive black holes than previously seen, which may account for some of the "missing mass" of the universe, which would change our theories on how the universe came into being. That's a big damn deal.
Again, it's a nice thing to know these things. But there is a need to ask where the return on investment is.
I am not some astronomy hating ignoramus asking why we bother with astronomy. I am a guy that actually likes knowing this sort of stuff who just happens to at one point have asked the question of if it is really worth all the money invested in it.

Like, as a person I like having these things found out. But if I were the guy making the budget I would not hand any money toward it because it just does not seem worth using money for when there are other things that it's better spent toward.

Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Purple wrote:
Eternal_Freedom wrote:Um, yes, apparently you're missing the innate human desire to know more about things.
You do not understand my question. I am not asking why a hypothetical human might want to know this. I my self do and find it neat. I am asking what possible actual physical benefit human kind has from doing so that justifies actually spending money on it. Since "neat" is something you can get out of quite a lot of things which are cheaper.
We have no idea what benefit it might bring. For instance, you might argue there is no point going back to the Moon, but Helium-3 is quite common there, and that may prove an essential fuel for future fusion reactors, so knowing what's on the surface provides a benefit years after the fact becomes known. Just because we can't see an immediate benefit right now does not mean there may not be one in the future.
I fail to see how having more planets would have been a bad thing or how it would have made the definition useless.
Aside from making charts of the solar system an absolute bitch? Well, the criteria for planethood are: 1. It orbits the (or a) sun, 2. it is massive enough to have pulled itself into a sphere by gravity and 3. it is massive enough to have wept it's orbital path clear of major debris. Now, all eight current planets have that. Pluto originally did before we started observing more and more Kuiper belt objects that showed Pluto hadn't cleared it's orbital path. So it gets downgraded to dwarf planet. There's also the fact that it's smaller than the Moon.

The reason the definition would have been useless, or extremely irritating, otherwise? Well this change was years before the Kepler mission went and found a shitload of exoplanets. That's hard enough to do with Jupiter-sized planets, it's impossible for Pluto-size objects. Being abel to say "we've foudn a plnet" and have it be clear to everyone that they mean "something Mars-sized or bigger" is useful, especially in public relations work.
Again, it's a nice thing to know these things. But there is a need to ask where the return on investment is.
I am not some astronomy hating ignoramus asking why we bother with astronomy. I am a guy that actually likes knowing this sort of stuff who just happens to at one point have asked the question of if it is really worth all the money invested in it.

Like, as a person I like having these things found out. But if I were the guy making the budget I would not hand any money toward it because it just does not seem worth using money for when there are other things that it's better spent toward.
The return on investment comes from anything that is developed later based on the new knowledge, or anything that is developed as a way to find that knowledge. For instance, the study of nuclear physics indirectly leads to things like MRI scanners, which are vitally important medical tools. The study of radiation led to x-ray machines, again, highly important. The study of electromagnetic waves led to radio communication and radar. The Apollo program gave us some very clever innovations in computing. Research into pure mathematics led to cryptography which led to programmable computers in the first place. All of that in the last ~120 years!

This is why governments invest in scientific research. Because it's happened often enough in the past that a humble scientific discovery can have enormous ramifications, either financially or strategically or politically. They are hoping that the next round of research grants will lead to something significant in the future.

For another reason, not every return on an investment has to be money. If enough young people see and learn about this mission, or Rosetta, or Kepler, or NuSTAR, or the ISS, they'll be inspired to go into a scientific or technical subject, and the more future graduates in those fields we have, the better.

Finally there is the political angle. Suppose you're the President or the Prime Minister and you give funds to scientists, and they come back with something amazing, like evidence of extraterrestrial life, or a complete answer to how the Universe formed, or a room-temperature superconductor, or a quantum computer. You're going to be able to ride part of that fame as the person who gave them funding. And after something big has resulted once, you'll want a repeat.

Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Not to mention improvements in division of labour/efficiency of manufacturing processes/streamlining of production that can come about at a side effect of scientific projects, particularly large-scale ones such as the ISS and LHC. Technology and innovation is a muscle, and muscles only grow by being used.
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
dragon
Sith Marauder

Post by dragon »

Also when the first expedition went to the south pole no one had any idea what they would find and how that would benefit humans. Now looking back we see that exploring antarctic yielded a lot of data about our planet as a whole, plus new technologies were developed in order survive, explore and experiment.

Throughout history there are examples of what people thought were a waste of time and money that turned out to have surprising benefits
"There are very few problems that cannot be solved by the suitable application of photon torpedoes
Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Post by Napoleon the Clown »

Why chuck things to the outer edges of our solar system? Spin-off technology! We had probes that forced us how to compress pictures without losing information. File compression is a huge fucking win, and without space probes nobody would have bothered for another several decades at least. Early satellites didn't look like they'd have the value that modern ones now have. Sputnik did almost nothing. It transmitted to Earth saying "Still up here" until its orbit decayed. Nothing else. Now we have GPS satellites that can tell you how to get to a random-ass location you've never been to before that used to be guarded by a minotaur.

You never know what spin-off technologies you're going to get.

And, most of all... http://www.smbc-comics.com/?id=2088 Because it's fucking awesome. So many discoveries would not have been made if we'd only concerned ourselves with probable financial gain.
Sig images are for people who aren't fucking lazy.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Purple, given that it's been ten years since the IAU redesignated Pluto, the fact that you thought they did it for "change for the sake of change" indicates that you are not doing enough research about why things happen. Please do not rely on other people to patiently explain to you things that are matters of public record which can be looked up by anyone open-minded enough to Google an issue and read a few articles.

If you do not go out of your way to look for explanations of why people do things you don't understand, not only will you continue to not understand, but your ignorance will grow out of control to contaminate and disturb your understanding of other things.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
orbitingpluto
Youngling

Post by orbitingpluto »

Purple wrote:I seriously do not see a point.
1. What possible benefit can human kind ever get from knowing the color of a planet?
snip
A lot of the stuff discovered just has no practical application beyond knowledge for the sake of knowledge. Am I missing something here?
Honestly, why Pluto was worth a flyby has more to do with fact it was one of the mysterious bodies in the solar system that previously lacked a visit, than anything intrinsic to Pluto. It's interesting in it's own right, but while learning more about Pluto and nailing down some facts about it;s present state will contribute a lot to understanding it's formation and past, another benefit is informing how Pluto relates to the rest of the solar system and the Oort Cloud. That's important if we want a clear picture of why things are the way they are in the Solar System, and it could help us understand exoplanets in other stellar systems should we find them. That's pretty much knowledge for the benefit of more knowledge, but that was the point of this mission. A new practical application shows up from time to time in spaceflight, but New Horizons wasn't built to test a new technology or whatever, is was a science probe built to go find out some new things, not develop new things. Asking why there isn't a new tech being developed or Earthy applications(besides sciences, obviously) is missing the point.
Napoleon the Clown wrote:Why chuck things to the outer edges of our solar system? Spin-off technology! We had probes that forced us how to compress pictures without losing information. File compression is a huge fucking win, and without space probes nobody would have bothered for another several decades at least. Early satellites didn't look like they'd have the value that modern ones now have. Sputnik did almost nothing. It transmitted to Earth saying "Still up here" until its orbit decayed. Nothing else. Now we have GPS satellites that can tell you how to get to a random-ass location you've never been to before that used to be guarded by a minotaur.

You never know what spin-off technologies you're going to get. decayed.
Actually, Sputnik did do stuff beyond trumpeting "Soviet Triumph IN SPACE!" until it decayed, it's radio signals allowed listeners to probe the ionosphere, and the same signals allowed it to be tracked, so it's orbit could be determined as atmospheric drag changed it's orbit over time. Calculating the force of drag at different altitudes gave information on the atmosphere at those altitudes, giving data on poorly understood regions of the upper atmosphere. Sputnik Two took Laika to orbit, and detected the Northern parts of what where latter named the Van Allen belts. Explorer 1, the first satellite launched by the US, provided the first available data on those radiation belts, and enabled Professor Van Allen to characterize and name them. Vangaurd 1, fourth satellite in space, did atmosphereic measurements like Sputnik 1 did, though unlike the short lived Sputnik, Vanguard 1 is still in orbit, and despite losing all transmitting ablity in 1964, it's still optically tracked and providing data on the upper atmosphere today.

Also, the first satellite navigation system would have had it's prototype launched in 1959, less than two years from the launch of Sputnik. That first TRANSIT satellite was lost prior to reaching orbit though, so TRANSIT 1B launched in 1960 and tested in that year is really the first use of satellite navigation. After it became operational in 1964, it was used to fix the position of ballistic missile subs, though it wasn't nearly as useful as GPS, it's still impressive. I guess if you want a better idea of Earthly applications for satellites, the SCORE satellite is better, but I thought of satellite navigation first.
Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

Purple wrote:I am asking what possible actual physical benefit human kind has from doing so that justifies actually spending money on it. Since "neat" is something you can get out of quite a lot of things which are cheaper.
Interesting that in your reply to Eternal Freedom, there, you carefully snipped out a paragraph explaining in more detail the scientific consequences of understanding the apparent color of a planet and focused entirely on his first sentence, instead.

It's not that complicated. Knowledge of the spectrum of visible light reflected by a planet helps us understand the chemical composition of that world's atmosphere and surface layers. This knowledge in turn helps us better understand processes like planet formation. It also, in turn, helps us better understand our own planet. In fact, it is also an important aspect of the search for extraterrestrial life.

These are both important branches of study, and not just for their own sake. Understanding our own planet and the origins of life on it have obvious practical repercussions. More broadly, simply gathering more data on the universe helps us refine our theories and models describing the universe and its history. Which, also, have broad practical repercussions. For a cherry-picked example, GPS units are impossible without an understanding of relativity and quantum mechanics.
Purple
Sith Acolyte

Post by Purple »

Those are all good answers that make sense. I can't complain. But I do have one thing to genuinely ask. Do we actually, genuinely and sincerely actually look for actual alien life? I always thought that was a gimmick to sell people on handing more money to space research.

Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Purple wrote:Do we actually, genuinely and sincerely actually look for actual alien life?
Yes, we do. Mars old Viking probes had experiments to detect microbial life, as does the Mars Curiosity rover, the SETI program (despite being privately funded now) is still going strong, and it is common for telescopes examining other planets to look for organic gases and materials.
Purple
Sith Acolyte

Post by Purple »

Borgholio wrote:
Purple wrote:Do we actually, genuinely and sincerely actually look for actual alien life?
Yes, we do. Mars old Viking probes had experiments to detect microbial life, as does the Mars Curiosity rover, the SETI program (despite being privately funded now) is still going strong, and it is common for telescopes examining other planets to look for organic gases and materials.
I guess I should have been specific. I know that we are looking and IIRC have found alien microbes and stuff. I was asking about things beyond that. As in, actual aliens. I don't think anyone is searching for those except the SETI telescopes supposedly listening in for their radio signals.

SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Post by SpottedKitty »

Borgholio wrote:It's that close. Charon and Pluto are in some ways a binary planet system. The barycenter is actually above the surface of Pluto.
Not only that, but if you look closely it seems to confirm what was only suspected before; Pluto and Charon are mutually tidally locked — they always show the same face to each other. It's likely the Earth and Moon will be in the same state, some time in the moderately far future.

Come to think of it... tidal locking, so there must have been tidal braking. Charon must have been much closer to Pluto in the distant past. I wonder if anyone's been able to run the numbers yet to work out how close?
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Purple wrote:1. What possible benefit can human kind ever get from knowing the color of a planet?
The technology that enables us to find out that "information with no direct benefit" is also the technology that enables such things as modern weather satellites and the GPS system. Do those applications have benefits or not?
Why do they even care given that they already did their best to exclude and diminish it for the sole purpose of change for the sake of change?
Uh... they changed the classification from "planet" to something else, but it's not like Pluto is The Space Object That Must Not Be Named and probably it enjoyed a bit more prominence because of that re-classification and the small kerfluffle that resulted.

It wasn't "change for the sake of change", it was for consistency in how we classify objects. Rather like how brontosaurus was changed to apatosaurus awhile back, although you might say "brontosaurus" is the common English name for the extinct dinosaur whose scientific name is Apatosaurus excelsus.
#1 in particular is something that I think about a lot when reading these astronomy threads. A lot of the stuff discovered just has no practical application beyond knowledge for the sake of knowledge. Am I missing something here?
Yeah, you are.

Knowledge for the sake of knowledge can lead to unexpected results that do have practical knowledge. Want another example? Marie Curie had no idea where her studies of radium and radioactivity would lead when she started them. They were knowledge for the sake of knowledge. You think that didn't have practical application down the road?

Basic research, knowledge for the sake of knowledge, can lead to major breakthroughs in practical technology. That's how us geeks who just think it's cool get the penny pinchers to justify funding costs.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Purple wrote:Those are all good answers that make sense. I can't complain. But I do have one thing to genuinely ask. Do we actually, genuinely and sincerely actually look for actual alien life? I always thought that was a gimmick to sell people on handing more money to space research.
Yes, we actually do look for alien life.

Whether life is common or a one-time fluke in the universe is a really big question. The possible implications and consequences have been theorized all over the place. There are a contingent of people who think colonizing space is vital to the truly long-term survival of our species (or what descends from us) and the knowledge that life is common or we're the sole instance can have quite an impact on plans for that. We don't know if alien life would be useful or not, but we have found use for the extremophiles on Earth which, despite coming from the same planet, were not "life as we know it" when discovered. It used to be believed all life ultimately depended on the sun. It doesn't. Not even on planet Earth. Wow, not sure what the practical implications of that might be, but they could be significant. Maybe not today, maybe down the line.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Purple
Sith Acolyte

Post by Purple »

Broomstick wrote:
Purple wrote:Those are all good answers that make sense. I can't complain. But I do have one thing to genuinely ask. Do we actually, genuinely and sincerely actually look for actual alien life? I always thought that was a gimmick to sell people on handing more money to space research.
Yes, we actually do look for alien life.

Whether life is common or a one-time fluke in the universe is a really big question. The possible implications and consequences have been theorized all over the place. There are a contingent of people who think colonizing space is vital to the truly long-term survival of our species (or what descends from us) and the knowledge that life is common or we're the sole instance can have quite an impact on plans for that. We don't know if alien life would be useful or not, but we have found use for the extremophiles on Earth which, despite coming from the same planet, were not "life as we know it" when discovered. It used to be believed all life ultimately depended on the sun. It doesn't. Not even on planet Earth. Wow, not sure what the practical implications of that might be, but they could be significant. Maybe not today, maybe down the line.
As I said later, I was referring to life beyond just microbes, extremophiles and other microorganisms. You know, something we can talk to and stuff. As opposed to something you look at under a microscope.

Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

As I said later, I was referring to life beyond just microbes, extremophiles and other microorganisms. You know, something we can talk to and stuff. As opposed to something you look at under a microscope.
Nothing like that yet. Microbes are likely to be found first.