3 mile tall Pyramid found on Ceres?

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Re: 3 mile tall Pyramid found on Ceres?

Post by Borgholio »

One billion years? I'm not sure. Mars was beginning to cool down already a billion years ago. Ceres is even smaller so I would think no.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Post by SpottedKitty »

Natural reactors like the ones discovered in Africa? Those were running about 1.5-2 billion years ago, but they're special cases — there's less than a handful of places on Earth where conditions were just right to allow it to happen. It's just barely possible, I suppose, that Ceres could provide another "just right" spot, but I really doubt it; the African ore concentrations could only have happened in a planet big enough to have an atmosphere and at least a little free oxygen.

Another showstopper; the African reactors were in solid rock, and the reaction byproducts haven't moved more than a few inches in two billion years. Ceres almost definitely has just a thin crust over deep ice, it's just too different.

There has been radiation-caused heating in Ceres' past, of course; there's an isotope of Aluminium that's the usual culprit in heating a newly formed planetoid. It's how they get internal structure; enough heat, and the heavier elements sink to the core while the lighter stuff floats on top. The same happened to the early Earth, although here the heating continues at a lower level right through to today — the Aluminium isotope decays to nearly nothing in less than a million years, but other isotopes are much longer-lived.
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

well, i was thinking a local hotspot on the core, driving an ice volcano. It can't be that likely to happen, or Cere's would be covered in pimples.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Post by SpottedKitty »

Precisely — I think we now have good images of just about the whole surface, so if anyone had noticed other peaks it would have been mentioned by now.
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery