Lets make some pretty nuclear plants!

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Lets make some pretty nuclear plants!

Post by Dartzap »

Independent
Britain’s new nuclear power stations and other energy infrastructure projects must be designed to look beautiful to garner essential public support, the Energy Secretary, Amber Rudd, has said.

The country is set for a complete overhaul of its energy infrastructure in the next decade as new green sources of electricity such as nuclear, wind and solar power stations replace polluting coal and gas plants.

Furthermore, flood defences will need to be built to protect buildings, along with weather-resistant transport, waste and water services, as climate change makes weather conditions increasingly extreme.

With so much costly construction planned it is crucial to make sure the public is on side – by making the projects visually inspiring, the Energy and Climate Change Secretary told The Independent.

Britain’s current nuclear power stations, which are all located at coastal sites, are notorious for their ugly functionality. “People in general want public structures to look good, as well as being functional. It’s not a trivial thing, when you have a big infrastructure project that you put time, effort and money into,” Ms Rudd said.

“We’re hoping to build new nuclear plants in the UK over the next few years and I think it is a reasonable ambition to make sure that these big projects have aesthetic appeal as well to help win the public over,” added Ms Rudd, in an interview at the Thames Barrier.

Ms Rudd said that her campaign to beautify Britain’s infrastructure had been inspired by her visit to the flood barrier, which she said is being used far more than originally anticipated as climate change increases flooding.

“These big infrastructure projects – that are part of climate-change adaptation or energy generation – are an integral part of our lives and I think we should make them more attractive to the public.

“The Thames Barrier is such an extraordinary, iconic structure protecting London – I’m feeling inspired to review what I look at in the future to make sure they don’t neglect [aesthetic considerations].”

Ann Robinson, of the uSwitch price comparison website, welcomed Ms Rudd’s call to visual arms. “I think she’s absolutely right. We’re a small island and it’s important to do things in a sensitive way. Public acceptability is important and the key to that is making the infrastructure as attractive as possible.”

Ms Robinson added: “A lot of these projects can be controversial and Amber Rudd is proposing to give people more say in local developments. Against this backdrop, it’s increasingly important that projects fit in with their surroundings.”
EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Re: Lets make some pretty nuclear plants!

Post by Simon_Jester »

This is actually fairly sensible. If you're already committed to spending billions on a major piece of public works, making it look like something that was worth huge amounts of public money, rather than like a random pile of brutalist cement and metal greebles with a couple of cooling towers slapped down nearby.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Yeah I can get behind this. I'm in favour of nukes plants anyway, but if they look pretty too? So much the better.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Simon_Jester wrote:This is actually fairly sensible. If you're already committed to spending billions on a major piece of public works, making it look like something that was worth huge amounts of public money, rather than like a random pile of brutalist cement and metal greebles with a couple of cooling towers slapped down nearby.
Just need to add some macaroni, fins to lower wind resistance, and a racing stripe.

You will be assimilated...bunghole!
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

I predict that people are going to complain and want their old, normal looking nukes back because their three year olds could design better looking power plants than these "so called architects".
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

Sellafield is a mess, it wouldn't be hard to beat it:

compare to the glory of battersea

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... London.jpg
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

That second picture made my monitor cry, maddoctor :P
It's a good idea, but it makes me sad that we need to resort to what amounts to a paint job just to garner some public support for something that has the potential to solve our energy crisis, or at least be used as an efficient stop-gap until we really crack thorium reactors...
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

bloody hell. could someone fix that? sorry.

There is the philosophy that all infrastructure should be beautiful, or designed to fit its surroundings. There's no reason not to do it, especially when design costs are such a tiny fraction of the overall project.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

If you ask me that second picture looks beautiful. It has just the right amount of Victorian in it.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Isolder74
Official SD.Net Ace of Cakes

Post by Isolder74 »

The Second Power Plant looks like something out of Command And Conquer.
Hapan Battle Dragons Rule!
When you want peace prepare for war! --Confusious
That was disapointing ..Should we show this Federation how to build a ship so we may have worthy foes? Typhonis 1
The Prince of The Writer's Guild|HAB Spacewolf Tank General| God Bless America!
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

The new ones are not going to look anything like the Pink Floyd album.
Probably more like this and the complaining will be epic.
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

Cardiff"s new energy from waste plant is not quite that extreme but yeah
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

madd0ct0r wrote:Cardiff"s new energy from waste plant is not quite that extreme but yeah
I like that one.
salm wrote:The new ones are not going to look anything like the Pink Floyd album.
Probably more like this and the complaining will be epic.
That one is just stupid.

If you ask me, they should make the whole plant look like a Gothic style cathedral, complete with gargoyles.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

Purple wrote: If you ask me, they should make the whole plant look like a Gothic style cathedral, complete with gargoyles.
You can never have too many gargoyles but it won´t be done because aping past eras is usually regarded as rather tacky.
Purple
Sith Acolyte

Post by Purple »

salm wrote:
Purple wrote: If you ask me, they should make the whole plant look like a Gothic style cathedral, complete with gargoyles.
You can never have too many gargoyles but it won´t be done because aping past eras is usually regarded as rather tacky.
And buildings that look like someone can't draw a strait line ain't?

The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Vortex Empire »

If I were in charge, all residential and infrastructure buildings would be Art Deco, all government buildings would be Neo-Classical, public gathering places like concert halls would be Neo-Gothic.

So nuclear plants should have this sort of aesthetic:

Instead, we'll likely see either boring Brutalist designs or hideous post-modern styles.
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

Dartzap wrote:Furthermore, flood defences will need to be built to protect buildings, along with weather-resistant transport, waste and water services, as climate change makes weather conditions increasingly extreme.
Funny that, if the exact same requirement was applied to renewables of any sort (except dams) they would instantly wither and die as even sneeze ruins them. I wonder what they want to weather-proof though, no NPP was ever destroyed by weather and even in Fukushima things would have been ok if not for colossal, utter and mind-boggling idiocy of people who designed and run it...
Purple wrote:If you ask me, they should make the whole plant look like a Gothic style cathedral, complete with gargoyles.
*cough* :angelic:
Purple
Sith Acolyte

Post by Purple »

The Vortex Empire wrote:Instead, we'll likely see either boring Brutalist designs or hideous post-modern styles.
I'd take brutalism over the modern garbage any day. A solid block of concrete still looks better than something that appears to have melted.
Irbis wrote:*cough* :angelic:
That works. Although I was thinking of something more along the lines of proper European cathedrals. Like these:

Imagine an atomic plant with facades like those! Especially #3.

AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

Isolder74 wrote:The Second Power Plant looks like something out of Command And Conquer.
The building in cnc was deliberately modeled after that one...
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P
orbitingpluto
Youngling

Post by orbitingpluto »

Gothic Cathedral-styled nuclear plants are a freaking cool idea, but the potential for symbolism is something that I think will cause protest. I think art deco has a better chance, though I wondered for a minute about prairie-style.

It's better suited to houses though. 1 and 2
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

If we're throwing ideas, if you want to combine industry, classic architecture, grand scale and splendour of progress there is nothing better than socrealist style:

:mrgreen:
biostem
Jedi Master

Post by biostem »

I wonder if you could just make the power plant look like, well, some regular houses or such. Better yet, what about building some sort of "living roof" structure, and have the roof slope toward the outside world, so people looking at the plant just see plants & trees...
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

Purple wrote:
salm wrote:
And buildings that look like someone can't draw a strait line ain't?
This particlular one? Well, in my opinion it is but in general it is still regarded higher than just copying old styles. I tend to agree but that is just a personal opinion.

Nuklear Power Plants usually consist of basic geometry like cubes, these iconic cone shaped chimneys, cylinders and capsules. Optimal premises for a sleek, minimalistic and functional design. Perhaps an iNuke or something.
Purple
Sith Acolyte

Post by Purple »

salm wrote:This particlular one? Well, in my opinion it is but in general it is still regarded higher than just copying old styles. I tend to agree but that is just a personal opinion.
If you ask me the reason why new styles look so bad is because old styles did everything that was good already. And the urge to newer copy at any cost leaves architects designing ugly things just for the sake of being original.

salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

Purple wrote:
salm wrote:This particlular one? Well, in my opinion it is but in general it is still regarded higher than just copying old styles. I tend to agree but that is just a personal opinion.
If you ask me the reason why new styles look so bad is because old styles did everything that was good already. And the urge to newer copy at any cost leaves architects designing ugly things just for the sake of being original.
This has probably been said by every generation and isn´t true imo. If you just image search the term "contemporary architechture" you´ll porbably find some buildings you like.

People probably just notice the stuff they find ugly and annoying more than all the other buildings.
A significant amount of people also seems to have to get used to certain styles (one major factor that generates the complaining). The ones that find new stuff ugly will be same that protets 40 years later when one of their beloved (former ugly as sin) beautiful pieces of history gets torn down. That´s why we shouldn´t listen to the complaining.

People don´t register the vast majority of architecture anyway. Only very iconic buildings are registered and these are allways open to draw controversy because of their iconic nature.