X-37B launch with light sail succefully launches

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Re: X-37B launch with light sail succefully launches

Post by Borgholio »

salm wrote:So would it be possible to link several sails together with more sturdy connectors? Or would the required mass of the connectors eat up the advantage of the sail being larger? Is there, so to say, a known optimal size of a sail?
You could link I suppose, but that would greatly increase the complexity of the thing. So far as I know, there is no optimal size as far as propulsion goes. The limit is in how big it can be and still fit into a rocket.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

The optimal size depends on what acceleration you want, and what material science you have to hold it together. It's not going to be a one-size-fits-all answer.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

If you make sturdier connectors, that also increases the mass of the assembly, which reduces the overall acceleration (F=ma). Sooner or later, you'll hit diminishing returns to the point where adding more sail area actually decreases your acceleration.
SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Post by SpottedKitty »

You've also got to have the whole thing able to fold up small enough to fit under a launch shroud (if you're still talking about launching on conventional rockets). And don't forget light enough for your launch vehicle to lift it off the pad. All of these will of course have different limit points and "sweet spots" of high efficiency, so the whole thing is going to end up as a compromise. Which pretty much sums up the entire field of spacecraft design, a lot of it is a matter of duelling compromises.
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery
dragon
Sith Marauder

Post by dragon »

Contact lost
A computer problem during the test flight of the Planetary Society’s LightSail spacecraft has left the prototype satellite unable to communicate with mission control, preventing (at least for now) the scheduled deployment of its solar sails to ensure that they work as planned.

What went wrong? According to Engadget and Popular Science, LightSail’s hardware launched with an older version of its Linux-based operating system, and as it turns out, this version of the OS shipped with a major glitch. It was to transmit a series of data packets back to Earth, sending detailed information about its position and other relevant data.

After the first two days, however, the transmissions went silent. The Planetary Society believes that with each packet it sent, it created a file too big for the software to handle, causing the OS to crash. Specifically, once its file reached 32 megabytes in size, the flight system locked up. While the issue was fixed in later versions of the OS, it persists on LightSail’s system.

Fixing the likely frozen LightSail

For the time being, the Planetary Society has put the spacecraft’s primary mission on hold so that they can deal with the software issue. They believe that the system is frozen, and while the flight control team has been attempting to send commands to LightSail in order to get it to reboot, thus far their attempts have been to no avail.

“The team is looking into other possible ways to reboot the system, but there’s also the chance that charged particles in space may strike an electrical component of the system and zap it awake (no, seriously),” Popular Science said. “If that happens, the Planetary Society won’t waste any time and will deploy the solar sail immediately, lest the software freeze again.”

In a blog entry posted earlier this week, the Planetary Society said that personnel at both the Cal Poly San Luis Obispo and Georgia Tech ground stations would continue to be on the lookout for the probe as it passed by. The Cal Poly team would be automating the reboot command so that it would be sent to Light Sail on every few ground station passes, with the hope that one of the commands would find its way to the spacecraft and fix the issue.

Mission control personnel are also reportedly evaluating a series of fixes that could allow them to work around software vulnerability, if and when contact is reestablished. One, they explained, is a Linux file redirect that would send the contents of the problematic file to a null location – “a sort-of software black hole,” they explained. Early tests using this technique have been called “promising,” the organization said.

Read more at http://www.redorbit.com/news/space/1113 ... Zzb6Y95.99
link
"There are very few problems that cannot be solved by the suitable application of photon torpedoes
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

Aw, maaan...

If all fails, they should consider sending another satellite with a pointy stick up to push the reset button...
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

That sucks...they launch and only afterwards figure out there was a patch released for the software.
dragon
Sith Marauder

Post by dragon »

unless of course they are only saying it's lost, maybe it's on some secret mission after all it was launched by a secret military spaceplane
"There are very few problems that cannot be solved by the suitable application of photon torpedoes
SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Post by SpottedKitty »

LaCroix wrote:If all fails, they should consider sending another satellite with a pointy stick up to push the reset button...
It's surprising how many spacecraft glitches could be easily solved if only we could do exactly that. Think of the antenna problem on the Galileo Jupiter orbiter.
orbitingpluto
Youngling

Post by orbitingpluto »

That news is a bit old, as they've regained contact on the 31st. Link to the Planetary Society blog about it.
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

I think I need to add "sponateous cosmic ray reboot" to my list of explanations for strange computer behavior. And when someone tells me that this is bullshit, I'll just show them this article...
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

jwl
Jedi Master

Post by jwl »

LaCroix wrote:I think I need to add "sponateous cosmic ray reboot" to my list of explanations for strange computer behavior. And when someone tells me that this is bullshit, I'll just show them this article...
Cosmic rays do cause computer errors, but not as badly on earth as in space because the atmosphere gets in the way.
dragon
Sith Marauder

Post by dragon »

orbitingpluto wrote:That news is a bit old, as they've regained contact on the 31st. Link to the Planetary Society blog about it.
So what secret mission did it do during the missing time. :D
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

jwl wrote:
LaCroix wrote:I think I need to add "sponateous cosmic ray reboot" to my list of explanations for strange computer behavior. And when someone tells me that this is bullshit, I'll just show them this article...
Cosmic rays do cause computer errors, but not as badly on earth as in space because the atmosphere gets in the way.
You know, I know - but the users may never know...

Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

orbitingpluto wrote:That news is a bit old, as they've regained contact on the 31st. Link to the Planetary Society blog about it.
Good to hear! I wonder if they can patch the OS from down here or if they're just going to try to work around it?
orbitingpluto
Youngling

Post by orbitingpluto »

I don't know if they got the patch up, but they did deploy the solar panels today, important because power levels dropped rather low during the computer freeze. The solar sail might be deployed Friday, but that's counting on getting the batteries charged up, and no other problems occurring between now and then.
Zeropoint
Jedi Knight

Post by Zeropoint »

If all fails, they should consider sending another satellite with a pointy stick up to push the reset button...
It's surprising how many spacecraft glitches could be easily solved if only we could do exactly that. Think of the antenna problem on the Galileo Jupiter orbiter.
http://freefall.purrsia.com/ff1000/fv00955.htm

I'm a cis-het white male, and I oppose racism, sexism, homophobia, and transphobia. I support treating all humans equally.

When fascism came to America, it was wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.

That which will not bend must break and that which can be destroyed by truth should never be spared its demise.
orbitingpluto
Youngling

Post by orbitingpluto »

I'm two day's late to this news, but apparently LightSail fell silent on the 4th, with a battery glitch suspected. Depending on what is causing it, it's the orbit will precess so that in the next few weeks, LightSail will receive near continuous sunlight during each orbit, hopefully doing something good for it's power situation.
orbitingpluto
Youngling

Post by orbitingpluto »

LightSail makes contact after dropping silent for a second time, it's batteries charged enough to call home, but low enough to make it's ground team decide to not risk solar sail deployment for now. If it manages to charge up between now and it's when it contacts a ground station early on Sunday, it could deploy the sail around 2pm EDT that day. Why it wasn't charging is still under investigation though.
SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Post by SpottedKitty »

<fingers crossed>
orbitingpluto
Youngling

Post by orbitingpluto »

They have a partial picture, here's the blog post, and here is the pic itself. According to the blog, they will have the full picture downloaded during a ground pass tomorrow morning, the partial one is scrambled and partly blank because they were unable to download all of it while the spacecraft was still in range.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Even that partial pic is pretty nifty though.
orbitingpluto
Youngling

Post by orbitingpluto »

Over wings of silver, high in the heavens, that great engine which gives wind to it's sails is beheld. Spoken plainly, you can the Sun and one side of spacecraft in the picture linked to above, my apologies for indulging myself there.

According to the accompanying blog post, they will be getting a picture of the other side of the spacecraft tomorrow. That picture should have Earth in the background, so there's that to look forward to.
InsaneTD
Jedi Knight

Post by InsaneTD »

That does look cool.