Wellness guru didn't cure cancer with natural foods

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Wellness guru didn't cure cancer with natural foods

Post by mr friendly guy »

So fraudulent author claims she cured her own cancer by eating fruits and vegetables and exercise. Oh, she also flirts with anti vaxxers by saying her cancer was due to a reaction to the Gardasil vaccine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belle_Gibson
According to interviews she has given, Gibson left her then Brisbane family home at age 12 to live with firstly a class mate and later a family friend. [8] Gibson attended Wynnum State High School in Manly, Brisbane before, at around the age of 16, dropping out of school in Year 10,[9] although she also later claimed to have been home schooled.[10] Gibson worked for a time as a trainee for catering supply company PFD Food Services in Lytton, Queensland,[11] but social media reflected that by late 2008, at either 16 or 17 years of age (given an October 1991 birth date), she had relocated to Perth[12] where she was involved in the skateboarding culture and actively participating in it's on-line community. Gibson subsequently moved from Perth to Melbourne in July 2009, at age 17.

Gibson had attributed the onset of her claimed cancers to a reaction to cervical cancer vaccine Gardasil.[11]
Her app didn't do so bad either.
Gibson launched TheWholePantry application in August 2013, and there were reportedly 200,000 downloads within the first month. Gibson soon after signed a book deal with Lantern Books for an accompanying table top book (published in October 2014), and was working with Apple in September 2014 to transition the application, as a privileged pre-installed Third Party inclusion in the Apple Watch launch which was scheduled for April 2015.

By early 2015, it was estimated that in excess of $1 million dollars had been raised in sales of TheWholePantry application and book.[15]
Naturally her publisher never checked the story.

And now she admits

Its all fake.

The Whole Pantry author Belle Gibson admits she lied about having terminal cancer

April 22, 2015 - 4:28PM

Disgraced author and social media entrepreneur Belle Gibson has admitted to lying about having terminal cancer.

The Whole Pantry app and cookbook founder has broken her silence about the controversial story that she used to build her business almost two months after questions about her cancer claims and questionable fundraising activities were first raised.

In a magazine interview, Ms Gibson was asked if she has or ever had cancer.

"No … None of it's true," she told The Australian Women's Weekly. "I am still jumping between what I think I know and what is reality. I have lived it and I'm not really there yet."

Ms Gibson launched her global business, which included the top-rating app and cookbook, off her controversial claims that she was a young mother healing herself naturally from terminal brain cancer.

She came under fire after Fairfax Media revealed in March that she had raised money in the name of five charities that had no record of receiving a donation from her. Her story of survival was soon put under the spotlight and she admitted that multiple other cancers she claimed to have suffered from may have been based on a misdiagnosis.

The 23-year-old promised an open letter to explain all, but instead went to ground. Her private and business social media accounts were wiped clean.

In the story in The Weekly, titled "My Life-long struggle with the truth", Ms Gibson did not go into detail about the motivations for lying, other than to say she had a troubled childhood.

"If I don't have an answer, then I will sort of theorise it myself and come up with one. I think that's an easy thing to often revert to if you don't know what the answer is," she said.

"When I started school, my mum went, 'My daughter is grown up now'. All of a sudden I was walking to school on my own, making school lunches and cleaning the house every day.

"It was my responsibility to do grocery shopping, do the washing, arrange medical appointments and pick up my brother. I didn't have any toys."

Ms Gibson, who grew up on the outskirts of Brisbane, has said she is estranged from her mother and never knew her father.

Ms Gibson has faced a barrage of criticism in the weeks since her friends spoke out and accused her of lying about her "inspirational" story.

Her Australian and overseas publishers have pulled her new cookbook from shelves and her award-winning app is no longer available for sale.

Ms Gibson's Australian publisher, Penguin, has admitted it never fact-checked her story or asked for evidence of her illness before publishing her cookbook late last year.

The app was going to be a feature on Apple's new smart watch but these plans were dumped as the tech giant moved to distance itself from its once star developer.

The Weekly has also reported a corporate advisory firm is winding up The Whole Pantry business and that no profit is expected to be made.

Speaking about the turbulent weeks after her fundraising activities were exposed, Ms Gibson said the backlash had been "horrible". But she said people needed to "draw a line in the sand where they still treat someone with some level of respect or humility".

In the story, to be published on Thursday, Ms Gibson said she did not want forgiveness and was speaking out because it was "the responsible thing to do".

"Above anything, I would like people to say, 'Okay, she's human. She's obviously had a big life. She's respectfully come to the table and said what she's needed to say, and now it's time for her to grow and heal."

A former friend of Ms Gibson's who first raised doubts about her story of cancer survival said she was relieved she had finally confessed.

"I'm relieved that I don't have to carry her burden any more and try to make things right. It's not my responsibility. It was hers and it has taken her years to do the right thing," she said.

"It's inhumane to deceive sick and vulnerable people and charities.

"If she wanted to do the responsible thing she would never have done this in the first place."

The Weekly said it did not pay Ms Gibson or anyone else for the interview.
Now if only some other natural woop woop cure alls admit fault.

Edit - aside from racist shit, I don't think I have seen anything this stupid come out of my country since "The Secret."
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Re: Wellness guru didn't cure cancer with natural foods

Post by Zixinus »

It is actually admirable that she came clean, even if when essentially forced to. True fraudsters do not care about the truth and will push their lies regardless of reality or the damage they do. The sad truth is that it is beneficial that way, some believing her would still buy her shit and she would get away with it. That's how so many so-called cancer cures make a big profit, making money off people's death sentence. I have seen one relative buy super-vitamin packs and other shit for old relatives suffering from cancer, believing some bullshitter that it will "help" or whatever.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
cosmicalstorm
Jedi Council Member

Re: Wellness guru didn't cure cancer with natural foods

Post by cosmicalstorm »

Her motivation might be the possibility of writing yet another self help book centered around this bullshit. Real cancer is hard as hell to cure, even if you wipe 99 % of the tumor cells the remaining 1 % has some mutation that will make it come back.
I think it's possible to use dietary intervention, physio and meditation to perform chemoprevention.
But once it's there, you better be lucky.