Gender ratio in north vs warmer latitudes

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

sarevok2
Youngling

Gender ratio in north vs warmer latitudes

Post by sarevok2 »

I have read that in harsh,cold climate of north there were fewer men. The women had to compete for fewer available men and thus evolved distinctive hair and eye color as way of making themselves more attractive. Is there any truth to this ? Would there really be fewer men in northern climate conditions compared to warmer latitudes ?
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Re: Gender ratio in north vs warmer latitudes

Post by Simon_Jester »

I see no reason men wouldn't evolve distinctive eye and hair color to be more attractive to women either; turnabout is fair play.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

sarevok2 wrote:I have read that in harsh,cold climate of north there were fewer men. The women had to compete for fewer available men and thus evolved distinctive hair and eye color as way of making themselves more attractive. Is there any truth to this ? Would there really be fewer men in northern climate conditions compared to warmer latitudes ?
So why are the mongols not blond and blue-eyed? Why aren't the Northern Inuit?
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

I have read that in harsh,cold climate of north there were fewer men. The women had to compete for fewer available men and thus evolved distinctive hair and eye color as way of making themselves more attractive. Is there any truth to this ? Would there really be fewer men in northern climate conditions compared to warmer latitudes ?
At northern latitudes, there is a slight sex ratio bias for whatever reason. But it is the difference between 50.6% of babies being born male, and 51.6%. No one really knows why. What that wont do is translate into a male biased adult operational sex ratio, because today and for countless eons before, males have had higher juvenile (and indeed adult) mortality rates.
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
ArmorPierce
Rabid Monkey
Location: Born and raised in Brooklyn, unfornately presently in Jersey

Post by ArmorPierce »

Thanas wrote:
sarevok2 wrote:I have read that in harsh,cold climate of north there were fewer men. The women had to compete for fewer available men and thus evolved distinctive hair and eye color as way of making themselves more attractive. Is there any truth to this ? Would there really be fewer men in northern climate conditions compared to warmer latitudes ?
Just because a feature evolved in one group does not mean that it will evolve in all groups. Evolution is not linear. It's a compromise of various things with an end product being one that works well enough.

The Inuits are darker probably due to the fact that they got enough Vitamin D from their diet so lightening of the skin wasn't advantageous to them.

why does a peacock have large colorful feathers? Why don't all birds have large colorful feathers?

Simon Jester may very well be correct. I recall someone posting that historically most males never ended up having offspring but the majority of females did. Women wouldn't really have had much trouble finding a male to impregnate them and pretty much be constantly pregnant.
Brotherhood of the Monkey @( !.! )@
To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift. ~Steve Prefontaine
Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht frist and lsat ltteer are in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe.
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

Thanas wrote:

The selective pressure may or may not exist, but the genetic mutation that created light skin, hair, and eyes, originated in the levant and spread to europe and russia from there. It would not have spread to the inuit or mongols. It would have to arise independently.
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est