first human head transplant

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

dragon
Sith Marauder

first human head transplant

Post by dragon »

Not sure how trustworthy NYPost is so I will post other new articles saying the same thing. I know a while back they did a monkey head transplant. But even if this fails they sould get some interesting knowledge out of it.
A Russian man suffering from a fatal muscle-wasting disease hopes to become the first person to undergo a head transplant — but the Russian Orthodox Church opposes the controversial surgery.

Valery Spiridonov, 30, plans to have the operation in 2017 despite the church ruling that it is against religious teaching because the body and soul are inseparable, Central European News reported.

“The main people I worry about my parents and they fully support me. My mother has given me her blessing and that’s all that counts,” said Spiridonov, a computer scientist from Vladimir. “She told me that she was happy I had never given up the fight and I am a grown man now and should know what I want to do with my life.”

Spiridonov admits being scared of the pioneering operation, which Italian surgeon Dr. Sergio Canavero plans to perform.

“I am afraid, but what people don’t really understand is I don’t really have many choices,” he said. “If I don’t try this out, my fate will be very sad. With every year, my situation is getting worse.”

Spiridonov, who has the rare genetic Werdnig-Hoffman disease, said he realizes the risks — but that he was prepared to sacrifice his life for science. He did have some requirements, though.

“I wouldn’t want to have my head transplanted onto the body of a woman. When I wake up, I still want to be a man,” he said.

He said he expects to be in a coma for a month after the 36-hour operation and then in recovery for a year.

Photo: Europics
“To be honest, me and my parents never gave up on the idea of a cure, we believe it will happen and I think this is my big chance,” he said. “The doctor told me that he had been waiting for some time for someone like me and was convinced that I was the right partner. And I am happy to volunteer for it. I realize there are risks, but I take all the risks onto myself.”

Most medical experts dismiss the operation as an impossibility — but in 1954, a Soviet surgeon, Vladimir Demikhov, made 20 two-headed dogs. They lived less than a month.

Alexandr Javoronov, a Russian nano-bio researcher, said a successful transplant is possible — but likely only briefly.

“The main problem is that such a life won’t be long, under a month, because of the autoimmune processes. In this case the drugs won’t keep alive the body for a long time,” he said.
NYPost

UK Independent
NYDaily

edit found CNN article
cnn
Someone has a horrific accident and winds up in the hospital, brain dead and on life support. Doctors approach the family about organ donation, but instead of saving as many as eight lives, the family is asked to donate the whole body to save just one individual. Perhaps a quadriplegic with a mind that outmatches their malfunctioning body.

As crazy as this sounds, to put an entire head on a new body, a human body, Italian physician Dr. Sergio Canavero says we are approaching HEAVEN (an acronym for head anastomosis venture; anastomosis is surgically connecting two parts). The pieces are coming together but there are still many hurdles to jump.

Canavero says he has part of the funding secured, although he says he can't yet disclose where the money is coming from as a condition of the funding. He's also taking the 2015 layman's approach with crowd funding and book sales.

He has identified Valery Spiridonov as the first patient. The 30-year-old Russian man suffers from a rare genetic disorder called Werdnig-Hoffman disease. Canavero says the man volunteered. The two men have talked via Skype but they have yet to meet in person and Canavero has not reviewed Spiridonov's medical records.

Canavero says he has a stack of emails and letters from people who want this procedure. Many of them are transsexuals who want a new body, he says. But he insists the first patients will be people who are suffering from a muscle wasting disease.

Another big obstacle is the need for a partner. Canavero can't just do this in his own Frankenstein lab. He needs a major academic medical center to host this endeavor and he has his eyes set on the United States. He hopes to get a buy-in this summer when he presents his plan to the American Academy of Neurological and Orthopedic Surgeons, or AANOS, at its annual conference in June. He's counting on getting the green light he needs for the first human whole head transplant to take place in 2017.

Nick Rebel, executive director of AANOS, says the group is not endorsing Canavero, it is simply giving him a platform to hear what he has to say.

If Canavero doesn't get the support he needs in the United States, he'll look to China and his timeline will slide by a year.

Once these pieces are in place, Canavero says he'll put together a staff of 150 nurses and doctors. Many of them, like the patient, are already identified because they've asked to be part of this team.

Then they'll need to practice for what is anticipated to be a 36-hour operation. "I say two years is the time needed for the team to reach perfect synchronization," Canavero speculates.

But what about the science? Is such an idea even plausible? He says he has research that supports it.

Canavero points to Dr. Robert White, who transplanted the head of one monkey to the body of another at Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine in 1970. The monkey died after eight days, because the body rejected the new head. Before ithe monkey died, it could not move because the spinal cord of the head and body were not connected. The monkey also was unable to breathe on its own. The paper in which Canavero outlined his procedure references a different 1971 experiment White conducted with six monkey heads, none of which survived more than 24 hours. But Canavero says advances in science and medicine since then eliminate the problems White faced.

Dr. Hunt Batjer, chairman of neurological surgery at UT Southwestern and president-elect of the American Association for Neurological Surgeons, says White's research is not validation for a human head transplant. "[It's] a 45-year-old reference in a primate and there is no evidence that the spinal cord was anastomosed functionally," he says. Batjer further explains that it's a great leap to go from brain survival of the surgery to restoring body function, which White did not look at.

Canavero is confident in his writing and in conversation. He cites White's monkeys and even the success of German researchers who helped paralyzed rats walk, giving no pause to the fact that such research is more likely to go nowhere than to make it to human clinical trials.

He published his paper in the free, online, medical journal Surgical Neurology International in 2013. He walks readers through a scenario, outlining the key points that will make this work, including cooling the spinal cord before severing it. Doing so with an ultra-sharp blade will avoid the damage experienced by spinal cord injury patients, he says. He'll use a "magic ingredient" as a sealant to fuse the spinal cord back together and offers a few options for what that ingredient could be. The nerves, having been color-coded when separated, will be carefully aligned and this will all be done very quickly because time is key.

An impossibility, according to Batjer. He conceded that the airway, the spine, the major veins and arteries, can all be put back together, but the spinal cord is the problem. He says the result would be the inability to move or breathe.

"I would not wish this on anyone, I would not allow anyone to do it to me, there are a lot of things worse than death," Batjer says.

The science isn't there to support this, says Arthur Caplan, Ph.D., director of medical ethics at NYU Langone Medical Center. He says it's nothing more than a big PR stunt, and calls Canavero "nuts."

Caplan says this has to be done in many animals before it's tried on humans. Caplan also points out that if Canavero can do this, he should first be helping paralyzed patients by fixing their spinal cords, before transplanting whole bodies.

As for the patients, Caplan says, "their bodies would end up being overwhelmed with different pathways and chemistry than they are used to and they'd go crazy."

In his paper, Canavero says identity issues could be a problem as the head gets used to its new body. He also says pain could be a problem. As far as immunosuppression, Canavero points to today's transplant successes as evidence this is not a problem.

Caplan isn't buying it. He's seen how difficult it is for his NYU colleagues who perform face transplants. The levels of anti-rejection medications required are so high they put patients at risk for cancer and kidney problems. He says it doesn't make sense that you'd poison a new body with immunosuppressant medications to make a head transplant work.

Another issue Caplan has seen with face transplant patients is they don't always get full function of their new organ.

"It's not like you can unscrew your head and put it on someone else," Caplan says.

Dr. Robert Ruff, the Veterans Affairs national director for neurology, calls it farfetched and farcical, not to mention unlikely to work. He says this is more like centuries away, not years. "It would be impossible to predict that far into the future," Ruff says.

Canavero insists, though, "We can already do this."
"There are very few problems that cannot be solved by the suitable application of photon torpedoes
dragon
Sith Marauder

Re: first human head transplant

Post by dragon »

Hum just had a thought the monke head they transplanted died of rejection and the spinal cord was not reattached how are they going to deal with that in this case
"There are very few problems that cannot be solved by the suitable application of photon torpedoes
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Obviously, this will leave the patient a respirator-dependent quadriplegic. At best. At best.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Yeah, we are...not ready to do this yet.
Shit, the Orthodox Church is in the right camp this time, even if for completely the wrong reasons...
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Post by Lagmonster »

PR stunt, I'll wager. As the article mentions, the kind of things you'd have to do to get this to work would involve several foundational and supportive practices and therapies that would each individually revolutionize medicine on their own.
dragon
Sith Marauder

Post by dragon »

Broomstick wrote:Obviously, this will leave the patient a respirator-dependent quadriplegic. At best. At best.
Actually they claim they'll be able to reattach the spinal cord
The one problem with these transplants was that scientists were unable to connect the animals’ spinal cords to their donor bodies, leaving them paralyzed below the point of transplant. But, says Canavero, recent advances in re-connecting spinal cords that are surgically severed mean that it should be technically feasible to do it in humans. (This is not the same as restoring nervous system function to quadriplegics or other victims of traumatic spinal cord injury.)
link
But Canavero cites an experiment from last week from Case Western Reserve and the Cleveland Clinic where scientists were able to sever and reattach the spinal cord in rats with moderate success.
link
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

Broomstick wrote:Obviously, this will leave the patient a respirator-dependent quadriplegic. At best. At best.
In this case, the patient's disease will result in the same outcome, anyway. So the patient might gain an extended lifetime, and maybe (if spinal cord attachment surgery works), limited or full control over his new body. It'S not as if a perfectly healthy man is wanting a body swap for fun. This is a terminally ill man donating his body to science for an experimental treatment.

Imagine what this could do for ALS patients if it succeeds, even if only partial (as in not dying).
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Arguably, it is two terminally ill men donating their bodies to science for an experimental treatment- with the real experimental treatment being "do we know how to splice the ends of a healthy spinal cord together?"
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

Simon_Jester wrote:Arguably, it is two terminally ill men donating their bodies to science for an experimental treatment- with the real experimental treatment being "do we know how to splice the ends of a healthy spinal cord together?"
I don't think the replacement body will be from a terminally ill person - more likely a head trauma fatality that left the rest of the body mostly intact. Part of the experimentation would also be new methods to keep that body working without needing a dozen pacemakers attached to every organ.
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

dragon wrote:
Actually they claim they'll be able to reattach the spinal cord
The one problem with these transplants was that scientists were unable to connect the animals’ spinal cords to their donor bodies, leaving them paralyzed below the point of transplant. But, says Canavero, recent advances in re-connecting spinal cords that are surgically severed mean that it should be technically feasible to do it in humans. (This is not the same as restoring nervous system function to quadriplegics or other victims of traumatic spinal cord injury.)
Nice claim - where's the evidence to back it up? How many successful headswap operations in animal models? Long term follow up?

It's unethical to jump straight to humans for such a procedure.

Also, if connecting the ends of a spinal cord doesn't restore function WTF is the point?

Keep in mind, this severs ALL connections between brain and body, not just the spinal cord. Why, yes, your body does have some connections between brain and body outside the spine. ALL automatic functions as well as voluntary ones will be cut. The donor heart will, most likely, continue to beat because heart cells do that on their own but the regulation of heart rate and blood pressure will be dicey due to reliance on chemistry and backup systems rather than nerve connections. How will digestion be affected?

Also, the genetic condition will still be in effect above the cut, how will that impact recovery, function, and the overall success of this operation?
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Joun_Lord
Jedi Master

Post by Joun_Lord »

I've no idea about the biology behind it but if they can successfully connect the spinal cord of the donor body to the head, wouldn't it be easier to do a spinal transplant rather then trying to to a whole body transplant?

If so can we put Obama at the top of the spine transplant list? I kid, I kid.

I think this is a good thing if it works but honestly think they should be more concentrating on repairing or transplanting damaged parts rather then transplanting the whole deal Outer Limits style. Spooky body shenanigans aside just the pushback from religious types will probably hurt medical efforts related to this.
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

Joun_Lord wrote:I think this is a good thing if it works but honestly think they should be more concentrating on repairing or transplanting damaged parts rather then transplanting the whole deal Outer Limits style. Spooky body shenanigans aside just the pushback from religious types will probably hurt medical efforts related to this.
We already can transplant most organs. Exchanging most of the internal plumbing of a human isn't out of question.

But for some diseases, like MS, ALS, or stuff like "Butterfly Kids", the whole body is affected. For those, a full body transplant would be a very effective treatment for most of the problems.

The treatment is sound, it's just that these people are bravely forging ahead where angels fear to thread.

Still, it's not like they want to do that next tuestday, they are planning that actual surgery for 2017. This project will include years of training the claimed 150 involved professionals, and most probably developing various tools and procedures for this (like a "head in a vat" system to keep the head alive while they try to connect it). If it works or not, it will certainly have positive effects on the medical field.

Darth Holbytlan
Padawan Learner

Post by Darth Holbytlan »

LaCroix wrote:So the patient might gain an extended a dramatically shortened lifetime in severe pain, and maybe (if spinal cord attachment surgery works), immediate loss of what limited or full control he has over his new body.
Fixed it for you.

Getting a result anywhere close to what this patient would have gotten naturally with his disease would be pie-in-the-sky at this point. We're not close enough to do anything remotely similar in animal models. We're not even close enough that it's even been worth trying in animal models more than a tiny handful of times decades ago. There is nothing we could usefully learn from experimenting on a human at this point.

What a total crock.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

I must say I find the thought of having my head attached to a dead stranger's body quite creepy. I mean, I know we do transplants, but psychologically it seems different when almost all of the body belonged to someone else.

I suppose the day will come when we can stick heads on robot bodies. That would bother me less.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

What is a "butterfly kid"?

LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

Broomstick wrote:What is a "butterfly kid"?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epidermolysis_bullosa

Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Huh. I've heard of the disorder, but I've never heard of it referred to by that term.

Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

Nice claim - where's the evidence to back it up? How many successful headswap operations in animal models? Long term follow up?

It's unethical to jump straight to humans for such a procedure.
It has been done with rats. Not a head swap, but spinal cord regeneration.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24713436

A head graft (creating two-headed rats) has also been done successfully.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn3135#.VS20l_nF-h0

It is not the spinal cord I am worried about. Or connecting blood vessels, keeping the body or head alive etc. I am pretty sure they can do that.

The biggest problem is going to be rejection. Without a closely related donor, the chance that body will not reject the head are very very high. Plus there is the risk of severe body dysmorphia that leads to non-compliance with the anti-rejection drugs. Hand transplants are bad enough in that respect. Head transplants... Oh dear.

If they cannot physically do the transplant, no one is going to let them try. Not even the chinese or russians. The North Koreans might....
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est