Good Anti-Vegan arguments?

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Good Anti-Vegan arguments?

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

First of all, disclaimer: I have no problem with vegearians or vegans, and admire or support people who decide to stop eating meat.

Now, on the other hand,many of the vegans I run into tend towards fanaticism.
I'd like to hear some good, supported arguments against veganism , or the arguments often bought up by them.

(I'm not talking about arguments such as "it's healthier to eat less meat", more like "meat is murder", "humans can get all their vitamins and essential nutrients from plants/soy/beans/vitamins", "We didn't evolve to eat meat, we're not really omnivore" , etc' etc' .

I can bring up counters to a number of these, but I don't care enough personally to start studying each and every claim in intricate depth (barring perhaps the bullshit ones. We are TOTALLY Omnivores :P), and would like to get some decent answers in one place that I can bring up the next time I get dragged into an argument, without spending too much time on it.

Thanks!

PS - As soon as vat-grown meat, or insect meat becomes available/affordable, i'll transition to that.
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Re: Good Anti-Vegan arguments?

Post by Borgholio »

Emotionally? Meat tastes good. Bacon is life.

Logically? Humanity evolved due to eating meat. We are omnivores. If this were a hundred thousand years ago we would be having the males go out to kill an antelope or a mammoth while the women and children gathered fruit, grains, and other foods. If someone doesn't like the taste of meat or are allergic to protein or something like that, then I can understand wanting to go vegan. But honestly it's simply not natural for us to be complete herbivores. So unless being vegan is going to extend our life by a couple decades, what's the point?
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Usually there's a moral component to the argument. "Have you seen how badly animals are treated in factory farms, what it does to the environment, why should I eat the flesh of another living creature, etc". That's a little more tricky to run around because, well, yeah, mass-production of meat is kind of fucked up. But try to address that side of things.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Well being vegan because meat is treated horribly while it's alive is definitely a valid moral argument. I don't see any benefit to becoming vegan over that though. You would need tens of millions of people to go vegan to affect the meat industry enough to make them want to change. So if one wants to boycott meat to make oneself feel better, then go for it. The better alternative IMO is to buy meat from the companies that specifically advertise better living conditions for their animals (more companies are going that route since it's a good selling point).
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

There is no real argument against the morality. A vegan has defined that killing an animal is sufficiently bad so that the positive effects of it (be it nutritional value, taste or whatever) are outweighed by the negative effects (animal suffering). There is nothing you can do to prove this to be correct or incorrect.

I also allways wonder where people meet these "fanatic" vegans. About 50% of the people I know are vegans and vegetarians and a whole bunch more won´t eat factory farm animals. I have never in my life encountered a fanatic one or even one who complained about me eating meat.
What I do run into a whole lot, though, is meat eaters who think they have to justify themselves as soon as somebody states that he is a vegan/vegetarian even though the vegan in question didn´t judge the meat eater at all. Usually they will say something along the line of how little meat they have been eating over the past few years and then go on a rant how they´d like to buy non factory farm meat but can´t aford it and how they themselves wouldn´t eat meat, but, you know, the kids want it and so on and so on. It´s rather amusing.
It is also weird and it appears to me that a lot of meat eaters have some sort of inferiority complex.
FireNexus
Cookie

Post by FireNexus »

The "fanatic vegans" exist, but in my experience reports of them are mostly invented by people who are annoyed that the ethical argument against a practice they legitimately enjoy are muddy at best or outright damning at worst. From almost any angle, the arguments in favor of eating meat (unless you drastically cut back and consume only certified humanely-raised products that cost about ten times what you're used to) don't overcome the horror that is the modern mass-production of meat, eggs or dairy.

Nobody wants to be a bad guy, so people emotionally lash out. Anybody who doesn't immediately play "agree to disagree" on the subject becomes a fanatic in the eyes of even otherwise rational people. There simply is no good logical or ethical argument in favor of eating meat if you're not a hunter gatherer, subsistence farmer or other highly impoverished person who legitimately needs the protein and lacks access to varied nutrition from other sources. Even then, consumption of meat that doesn't find its own food (hunted animals, chickens, pigs) or eat waste products/things we wouldn't eat that make for good cover crops (cows and other ruminants, pigs again) is probably a waste of food. Our evolution resulting from eating meat is not a particularly convincing reason for a first worlder alive today.

It is certainly more difficult and requires more care to get the right mix of amino acids or certain other nutrients, but it's not terribly burdensome. The human body is adaptable, and we can survive quite well on a wide variety of diets as long as they have sufficient variety.

Note: I'm a meat eater, and I just accept that there is a certain level of cruelty to my choices and that they are made through weakness. If I'm wrong about the arguments not stacking up, I'd love to see studies that prove they do.

Edit: Except/Accept. Man, am I stupid.
I had a Bill Maher quote here. But fuck him for his white privelegy "joke".

All the rest? Too long.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

meat is murder
You're not going to have a good argument for this stance. That's a statement of ethics, perhaps approaching religious intensity, and thus not really amenable to logic and reason.
humans can get all their vitamins and essential nutrients from plants/soy/beans/vitamins
No, they can't. There is no NATURAL source of B12 outside of animals of some sort. In cultures such as Jains that appear to do so it has been found that they get their B12 from, basically, insect and rodent feces contamination of their food. When such groups have moved somewhere such as the UK, where food purity standards are higher than in rural India, they invariably run into deficiencies unless they use supplements.

There was some research published on this back in either the '90's or 00's, can't remember exactly. Maybe it was the Lancet? Anyhow, I no longer have easy access to such journals but you might, and being able to cite actual, peer-reviewed or at least vetted research would probably tickle your fancy.
We didn't evolve to eat meat, we're not really omnivore
Yes, we really are omnivores.

First, our closest animal relatives, the chimpanzees and bonobos, both are not only opportunistic meat eaters but chimps will also organize actual hunting parties. Female chimps will trade sex for meat (since bonobos pretty much exchange anything for sex, or simply fuck for any or no reason, impossible to say if such exchanges occur among them).

Second, top of that, while we are not carnivores in the sense of cats, our bodies unquestionably have the ability to process nutrients from animal flesh.

Third, the fact that we REQUIRE a nutrient – B12 – that in nature is ONLY found in animal flesh is pretty strong evidence that we're omnivores and yes, we really DID evolve to eat meat on at least an occasional basis.

Animals that are true herbivores, such as ruminants, equines, and lagomorphs (rabbits and their kin) produce B12 in their guts and either absorb it there (ruminants) or eat some of their own feces (rabbits) to get the needed amounts. Humans don't do that – we neither produce B12 in our guts no do we (outside the mentally ill) eat our own shit.
As soon as vat-grown meat, or insect meat becomes available/affordable, i'll transition to that.
Insect “meat” is available in some areas, but in my country it's surprisingly expensive – edible mealworms, for example, cost as much as prime beef per unit of weight. Cicadas are freely available when in season.... said seasons being 17 years apart, which makes it difficult to make them a regular part of the diet (species with such long breeding intervals may have evolved such a mechanism to prevent predators from specializing in them).
Have you seen how badly animals are treated in factory farms
Well, it IS possible to avoid that. For example, for nearly a year now we've been eating eggs from what I call “happy chickens”. They're kept for their eggs, but get outside for free-range grazing every day (although on some of the really cold days this winter they apparently looked at the human in the doorway with a “are you fucking crazy?” expression and refused to go out, when pushed outside immediately ran back inside – not as dumb as their reputation would have them), are not subjected to artificial sunlight so during the winter their laying scales back, and otherwise live pretty amazing wonderful chicken lives. The eggs aren't fertile so you aren't killing any baby chicks. So it is entirely possible to eat non-factory farm animal protein.

Likewise I have neighbors that keep goats as pets but will take advantage of milk, and so on and so forth. Small-scale animal husbandry can be both kind to the animals and provide some animal protein to the humans.

Then there is the matter of wild food – there are an abundance of game animals. Granted, there is some bother to obeying hunting laws, observing licensing and season requirements, and so forth, and hunting is not as reliable at the grocery stores or butcher shop but it's yet another option where the animal is not subject to abuse during life. Granted, those last few minutes might be pretty horrible but no worse than natural predators, and may well be quicker (predators don't hunt to kill, they hunt to eat, and may start eating prior to death or unconsciousness in their prey).

Same for fish.

For that matter, you could either gather or raise your own insects/arthropods for eating purposes. Same principal as chickens, and people do it anyway to supply pet stores with food for carnivorous pets. Or, in one case, I knew someone who had a rat colony they started specifically for feeding their snake collection. Baby rats for the little snakes, grown up rats for the larger ones, and the rats also took care of all their kitchen scraps... it's sort of like gardening, but with more cleaning up of poop.
what it does to the environment
Farming vegetables, fruits, grains, and nuts can also be quite harmful to environment.

It's not what is being raised, it's HOW.

The Alaska salmon is an example of a fishery that is maintained at sustainable levels. Of course, the fishery rules being enforced by an arm of the US military (the Coast Guard) also has a lot to do with compliance. Alaska salmon isn't particularly cheap, but why should it be? (Certain sub-categories, like Copper River salmon which is highly seasonal runs even higher – about $90-100 USD per kilo this year).

Arguably, given the plague upon the land that white-tail deer have become in North America, I'd argue we should be eating more of them so fewer would starve to death or get hit by vehicles. Cull the herds a bit more and those that remain will be healthier and live better. Yes, it's harsh, but it's absolutely natural for their numbers to be pruned by predation.

So – more use of wild protein (in a sustainable manner), and more use of smaller meat animals (chickens and rabbits convert plants to flesh more efficiently than do cows) would result in a smaller environmental foodprint, might even improve the situation in some cases (too many deer areas), and provide animal flesh to humans in quantities sufficient for health.
why should I eat the flesh of another living creature
You don't have to.

First, I recommend killing your animal food prior to eating it. While some people DO eat live food it's very, very much optional and even a lot of omnivores are squicked out by it.

You DO require a small amount of animal-source food, though. You can achieve this via things like eggs or diary products.
From almost any angle, the arguments in favor of eating meat (unless you drastically cut back and consume only certified humanely-raised products that cost about ten times what you're used to) don't overcome the horror that is the modern mass-production of meat, eggs or dairy.
Since it (very roughly) takes about 10 units of plants to produce 1 unit of animal flesh, in a sense meat SHOULD cost ten times as much.

Also – there's a limit to how horrific dairy ranching can be. Unhappy cows don't produce much milk, so dairy cows usually aren't treated as badly as beef cattle (the unneeded dairy bulls, though, usually wind up as veal. Veal calves live in a special circle of hell prior to the end of their brief, fucked-up lives).

At least these days options to factory-farm products are becoming more common.
There simply is no good logical or ethical argument in favor of eating meat if you're not a hunter gatherer, subsistence farmer or other highly impoverished person who legitimately needs the protein and lacks access to varied nutrition from other sources.
I think that's a bit restrictive. What's wrong with being a first-world hunter, provided one observes the law and hunting ethics (try to achieve a quick kill, do not abandon a wounded animal but track it, etc.)? Particularly since such hunters keep down the numbers of some species (deer) that would otherwise be even more of a pest species than they currently are? The alternative for deer would be either to cull them and let the meat go to waste, or allow them to die in large numbers from starvation. Granted, the ideal would have been to not exterminate the natural predators, except, people have been hunting deer in the American for so long (10,000+ years) that arguably we have long been a natural predator of deer.

Nor do I see a reason to limit things to subsistence farming – it is well within the means of the average first worlder to obtain a few chickens and raise them humanely for eggs.

Also, it's NOT just a matter of protein. That's a terrible argument, since it's indisputable that people in most of the world (the exceptions being mostly the high arctic) really can obtain all their needed protein from plant sources. It's B12 that is truly the limiting nutrient.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Post by Lagmonster »

The Grim Squeaker wrote:"meat is murder"
My experience taught me that you can't argue with a fanatic, but you can amuse yourself with them.

http://www.smbc-comics.com/?id=3105

That aside, I've found from a career in agriculture that the real crazies are only vegans by extension, starting out with a platform of anti-capitalism or anti-progress and applying that to their diet as an extreme form of protest.
FireNexus
Cookie

Post by FireNexus »

Broomstick wrote: I think that's a bit restrictive. What's wrong with being a first-world hunter, provided one observes the law and hunting ethics (try to achieve a quick kill, do not abandon a wounded animal but track it, etc.)? Particularly since such hunters keep down the numbers of some species (deer) that would otherwise be even more of a pest species than they currently are? The alternative for deer would be either to cull them and let the meat go to waste, or allow them to die in large numbers from starvation. Granted, the ideal would have been to not exterminate the natural predators, except, people have been hunting deer in the American for so long (10,000+ years) that arguably we have long been a natural predator of deer.

Nor do I see a reason to limit things to subsistence farming – it is well within the means of the average first worlder to obtain a few chickens and raise them humanely for eggs.

Also, it's NOT just a matter of protein. That's a terrible argument, since it's indisputable that people in most of the world (the exceptions being mostly the high arctic) really can obtain all their needed protein from plant sources. It's B12 that is truly the limiting nutrient.
I stand corrected. The apex predator argument is a good one for hunting, and you're exactly correct about being able to humanely raise chickens for eggs and cattle for dairy without any particular ethical concerns.

The B12 argument is not particularly compelling because, in the modern world, it can be produced on an industrial scale very easily. My original definition would not include a lot of pre-modern categories of people, though.

All the rest? Too long.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Yes, synthetic B12 is available in the modern world... but I view it as evidence that we did, in fact, evolve as meat eaters given that is the ONLY source in the natural world ("meat" defined fairly broadly). So vegan claims that we are not omnivores are in error.

It should also be noted that most industrial-produced B12 supplements are, in fact, derived from animal sources because that's easiest and cheapest. Finding vegan B12 supplements is more difficult, and they also tend to cost more.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Broomstick wrote:
why should I eat the flesh of another living creature
You don't have to.

First, I recommend killing your animal food prior to eating it. While some people DO eat live food it's very, very much optional and even a lot of omnivores are squicked out by it.
Isn't that a bit disingenuous. I doubt there are many people who would seriously recommend eating your meat more literally on the hoof. The only situations I've seen that put literally into practice are with insects and some of the more highly exotic varieties of sushi (octopus is one example). 'living creature' is a bit redundant if you think about it-- if it's dead, it's just a pile of flesh, bones and organs-- but I think it's obvious enough that people mean meat in general when they say stuff like that rather than hyperbolically blowing it up into some kind of exotic vivisection.

Of course, if they do in fact mean that, they probably have some other issues going on (viewing omnivores as little better than cannibals and all that)... in my experience most vegans are not usually that nutty.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

I was doing it more to poke some fun at them.

When a "fanatic" states they don't want to eat the flesh of a "living creature" I know they don't mean that literally... but by taking it literally it's a way of mocking them.

FireNexus
Cookie

Post by FireNexus »

Broomstick wrote:Yes, synthetic B12 is available in the modern world... but I view it as evidence that we did, in fact, evolve as meat eaters given that is the ONLY source in the natural world ("meat" defined fairly broadly). So vegan claims that we are not omnivores are in error.
That's not relevant to the question, though. The fact that we evolved eating meat has little bearing on whether it is ethical to do so. The ethical dilemmas being discussed are dilemmas of a modern first-worlders, not an ancient hominid struggling to survive. The evolutionary question, absent discussions of health that are settled in cases where specific nutrients that commonly come from animal products are supplied, is not one that answers a question of whether someone who is choosing now ought to choose to do so. It's no different than any other appeal to tradition.
It should also be noted that most industrial-produced B12 supplements are, in fact, derived from animal sources because that's easiest and cheapest. Finding vegan B12 supplements is more difficult, and they also tend to cost more.
Most industrial b12 is produced by microbial fermentation. It may not be "vegan" because of the use of some animal product for a growth medium or some such, but the implication that we're extracting it from meat or meat byproducts is completely false. That, additionally, is the ultimate source of it in the natural world. Animals don't synthesize cobalamin, they concentrate it. In fact, a studyof elderly Koreans found that they get about a third of their b12 intake from fermented foods. Though the viability of this as a primary dietary source given that they get about 85% of their calories from non-animal sources yet animal sources supply 2/3rds of the B12 is questionable.

All the rest? Too long.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

"Meat is murder."

Well animals would kill us and eat us if they had half the chance so I'm really engaging in pre-emptive self defense.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
biostem
Jedi Master

Post by biostem »

If you're looking from a strict "necessity" vantage point, then there is no reason why, in modern society, that we need to eat animals/meat. However, given that people do a lot of things simply because they feel, taste, look, sound, or smell good, regardless of their impact on others or the environment, then eating meat makes a lot more sense. People don't eat meat because they like hurting animals, or because they want to mess up the environment - they eat meat because it tastes good and they were brought up eating meat.

That being said, I don't think you are going to get the majority of people to stop eating meat suddenly. The best approach would be to provide tasty meat substitutes, and to (at first) provide government subsidies for farmers, stores, and restaurants to offer them on their menus.

I personally do eat meat, but it more a matter of my schedule making fast food my most common go-to source for food, and the low price of burgers or chicken sandwiches, makes them the best option for me. If there was a veggie burger that tasted good and was priced similarly, I'd probably go for that...
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

The only truly relevant vegetarian/ vegan arguments that just cannot be refuted are the harm it does to the environment, specifically when it comes to methane, which is a worse greenhouse gas than carbon dioxide in the short run, which does nothing to help us in the long run.
The other is the overuse of antibiotics on livestock by factory farms because any large group of mammals held in close quarters are going to be passing around bacterial infections like crazy. The overuse of antibiotics on livestock, as I'm sure most if not all of you know, creates more dangerous bacteria that are resistant to all but the most powerful antibiotics (and there is a race to keep up with the bacterial mutations by creating new or more powerful antibiotics. I don't know who is winning the race, but I'm sure that if there is anyone in the pharmaceutical industry they can let us know) and that creates problems when humans are infected.

Of course the easiest solution is for the government to regulate the everloving fuck out of factory farms. This would lead to a likely increase in the price of meat, which the government should nip in the bud by rationing (as some people are unable to survive on a vegetarian or vegan diet) so that the rich among us cannot buy all the meat they want while everyone else is left swinging in the wind when it comes to their main source of protein and vegans and vegetarians can get a tax credit if they decline ration cards, which may also give incentive for those who are on the fence to give up meat as well.

Of course, this will all be solved when mass protein re-sequencers can turn any form of protein into another, in which case there will no longer be a moral reason to oppose meat consumption unless it's made of PEEEEEEOOOPLE!!!!. :lol:
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Flagg wrote:The other is the overuse of antibiotics on livestock by factory farms because any large group of mammals held in close quarters are going to be passing around bacterial infections like crazy.
Not just mammals - this is also a problem with birds. I'm presuming it can be a problem with fish farming but I haven't actually researched it. I expect it would be a problem with any sort of livestock kept in concentrated numbers and fed antibiotics.
The overuse of antibiotics on livestock, as I'm sure most if not all of you know, creates more dangerous bacteria that are resistant to all but the most powerful antibiotics (and there is a race to keep up with the bacterial mutations by creating new or more powerful antibiotics.
Use of antibiotics was also the cause of a massive, massive die-off of vultures in India, with many negative repercussions.
Of course the easiest solution is for the government to regulate the everloving fuck out of factory farms. This would lead to a likely increase in the price of meat, which the government should nip in the bud by rationing (as some people are unable to survive on a vegetarian or vegan diet) so that the rich among us cannot buy all the meat they want while everyone else is left swinging in the wind when it comes to their main source of protein and vegans and vegetarians can get a tax credit if they decline ration cards, which may also give incentive for those who are on the fence to give up meat as well.
If I recall, during WWII in the UK vegetarians who gave up their meat rations were granted additional allotments of other food, which seems equitable enough.

Can anyone from the UK confirm or expand on that? It's an interesting real-world case.
Of course, this will all be solved when mass protein re-sequencers can turn any form of protein into another, in which case there will no longer be a moral reason to oppose meat consumption unless it's made of PEEEEEEOOOPLE!!!!. :lol:
If the meat is resequenced from, say, plant protein into synthetic people flesh would it be ethical to eat it or not? After all, it's never been an actual person... but it tastes just like one, right?

GrandMasterTerwynn
Emperor's Hand

Post by GrandMasterTerwynn »

The Grim Squeaker wrote:First of all, disclaimer: I have no problem with vegearians or vegans, and admire or support people who decide to stop eating meat.

Now, on the other hand,many of the vegans I run into tend towards fanaticism.
I'd like to hear some good, supported arguments against veganism , or the arguments often bought up by them.

(I'm not talking about arguments such as "it's healthier to eat less meat", more like "meat is murder"
Patently true. The only difference between the mental state of a human and most animals raised on an industrial scale for human consumption is one of scale. If you eat meat, you're engaged in the wholesale slaughter of sentient (we define this to mean "thinking") beings.

So ... meat is murder. Yes? So? Plants have sophisticated electrochemical signaling and control processes that have developed to enable them to either reduce their odds of falling to predation, or to warn other plants that such predation is taking place. Plants is murder too ... the only thing you get to pick is your comfort level of regarding the type of murder you get to commit to stay alive.
"humans can get all their vitamins and essential nutrients from plants/soy/beans/vitamins"
Patently true, with the sole exception of vitamin B12; which is only synthesized by certain fermenting bacteria.
"We didn't evolve to eat meat,
We didn't. Primates have trichromatic vision (the better for spotting ripe fruits with,) big grinding molars, and livers that are highly effective at neutralizing a wide variety of plant-based toxins (try feeding grapes to your dog sometime ... actually, do not do that.) We don't posess the hallmarks of a carnivorous species. We just happened to be flexible enough to be able to include meat in our diets.
we're not really omnivore
Patently false. We have weak jaws, puny teeth, and short digestive tracts. Humans are lousy herbivores (though our frailness in this regard may have much to do with the fact that we've been cooking our food for most of a million years.) We're also pretty lousy carnivores (our bodies simply can't cope very well with a purely animal-based diet. A housecat can achieve its maximum possible lifespan on a diet that would kill a human being before she got too far away from her prime.)

Veganism is trivially easy to refute on biological grounds. Any rational vegan or vegetarian knows that. Veganism is principally a choice made on ethical or economic grounds; and those arguments are a lot harder to refute. Factory farming is hard to defend on ethical grounds ... you trade cruel living conditions for the animals for the ability to maximize the efficiency of production of animal-based calories. For example, a modern head of cattle is market-ready in less than six months. That same head of cattle a hundred years ago, raised in a manner almost entirely free of human intervention, was market-ready in five years. You can't really defend factory farming on economic grounds either. The cost in materials that go into producing animal-based calories would, in many cases, feed more people directly than the finished animal products. Worse, cruelty-free, low-impact animal husbandry simply cannot scale to provide the world's current demand for animal-based calories, let alone future demand (assuming everyone in the world aspires to Western levels of animal consumption.)
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

I fantasize about a cultural shift that results in people voluntarily eating less meat and processed food, more local production in the form of backyard gardens/chicken coops/rabbit hutches/etc., and so forth. Alas, I don't see that actually happening.

Well, if we had an apocalyptic even that forced everyone still living back to that, maybe, but I don't want to wish death on that many people.

For myself - the older I get the less meat I eat. Also, the poorer I get. Unfortunately, given my food allergies, I don't think I'd survive on a vegetarian diet (allergic to too many plant sources of protein, as well as several vegetables) but that doesn't mean I can't make thoughtful choices with less negative impact.

>sigh< Finished off my most recent dozen eggs. Depending on whether the hens down the road are back to summer laying numbers I may have to wait a bit before more are produced. That IS a downside to local production, it tends to be more episodic than industrial agriculture.

Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Broomstick wrote:
Flagg wrote:Of course, this will all be solved when mass protein re-sequencers can turn any form of protein into another, in which case there will no longer be a moral reason to oppose meat consumption unless it's made of PEEEEEEOOOPLE!!!!. :lol:
If the meat is resequenced from, say, plant protein into synthetic people flesh would it be ethical to eat it or not? After all, it's never been an actual person... but it tastes just like one, right?
Umm, I assume so, why? No one is being harmed. But I sure as hell wouldn't want to be friends with anyone who eats that sort of thing. I mean maybe on a dare or bet, but anything other than that and IMO you're in creep central.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Joun_Lord
Jedi Master

Post by Joun_Lord »

Flagg wrote:
Broomstick wrote:
Flagg wrote:Of course, this will all be solved when mass protein re-sequencers can turn any form of protein into another, in which case there will no longer be a moral reason to oppose meat consumption unless it's made of PEEEEEEOOOPLE!!!!. :lol:
Umm, I assume so, why? No one is being harmed. But I sure as hell wouldn't want to be friends with anyone who eats that sort of thing. I mean maybe on a dare or bet, but anything other than that and IMO you're in creep central.
I'd probably eat it just to try it. Sounds a bit like eating exotic food while overseas. Something you probably eat once to say you did and thats it.

I remember some sci-fi story about grown human flesh being popular with some celebrities actually having their own line of cloned meat for sale.
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

Lagmonster wrote:
The Grim Squeaker wrote:"meat is murder"
My experience taught me that you can't argue with a fanatic, but you can amuse yourself with them.

http://www.smbc-comics.com/?id=3105
I mean, sure, it´s a web comic, but even they should have enough pride not to make jokes that have been around since a 4 year old first cracked it somewhen around the dawn of time.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

As for this "vegetarian or vegan fanatic evangelist" thing, I know it's anecdotal, but I've not encountered one. What I have encountered numerous times (in fact so many I can't keep track), is meat eaters making fun of or harassing vegetarians/ vegans. Like on thanksgiving someone who didn't eat meat made an offhand joke about eating tofurkey and for like 15 minutes 2 meat eaters were harassing her with snide comments and jokes about "well if you don't eat any turkey, I'll just have to get 2 more and throw them away to make up for what you're not eating!". Maybe it's because I spent most of my life in the south, and you know how that is...
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

Flagg wrote: Maybe it's because I spent most of my life in the USA, and you know how that is...
Having been there - yeah. I know. :P
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

Flagg wrote:As for this "vegetarian or vegan fanatic evangelist" thing, I know it's anecdotal, but I've not encountered one. What I have encountered numerous times (in fact so many I can't keep track), is meat eaters making fun of or harassing vegetarians/ vegans. Like on thanksgiving someone who didn't eat meat made an offhand joke about eating tofurkey and for like 15 minutes 2 meat eaters were harassing her with snide comments and jokes about "well if you don't eat any turkey, I'll just have to get 2 more and throw them away to make up for what you're not eating!". Maybe it's because I spent most of my life in the south, and you know how that is...
Nah, we have plenty of the same type of moron here. I was once harassed for bringing chicken to a grill party because apparently chicken is woman meat and not manly enough. Admitedly that was at a fraternity party, a place so archaic they still duell each other with sharp epees and show pride in their scars. I was an idiot to expect better. But the normal meat eating male who thinks it´s funny to annoy people about their choice of food is increadibly common.
I mean, nothing wrong with making fun of other peoples eating habbits but it seems that it´s allways the same three lame old and unimaginative jokes popping up.