two stars passed within 1 lightyear of earth

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

dragon
Sith Marauder

two stars passed within 1 lightyear of earth

Post by dragon »

Only 70000 years ago shame we missed it.
Astronomers say a red dwarf star and its brown dwarf companion passed within a light-year of our own sun 70,000 years ago, moving through the comets in the outer reaches of the Oort Cloud that surrounds our solar system.

The star is known as WISE J072003.20-084651.2, or Scholz's star. Today, it's 20 light-years away from us in the constellation Monoceros. But in a study published by Astrophysical Journal Letters, researchers say it passed right by us at a distance of 5 trillion miles (8 trillion kilometers, or 52,000 astronomical units, or 0.8 light-years). No other star has been known to come that close.

Scholz's star would typically be too faint to be seen with the naked eye from Earth, even during the close encounter. But the research team, led by the University of Rochester's Eric Mamajek, says there's a chance that our ancestors in Africa might have seen a magnetically induced flare-up.

Image: Scholz's star Michael Osadciw / University of Rochester
An artist's conception shows Scholz's star and its brown dwarf companion in the foreground during its flyby of the solar system 70,000 years ago. The sun would have appeared as a brilliant star, seen here in the background at left. Scholz's star and its companion are now about 20 light-years away.

Mamajek and his colleagues became interested in the star's trajectory after finding out that it appeared to be moving directly away from us — or toward us — at high velocity. They calculated its relative motion using observations from the Southern African Large Telescope and the Magellan Telescopes in Chile.

"Sure enough, the radial velocity measurements were consistent with it running away from the sun's vicinity — and we realized it must have had a close flyby in the past," Mamajek said in a news release.

It's good news that Scholz's star missed us, but there's even better news: Last year, a different group of astronomers reported that a different star called HIP 85605 might make a dangerous pass through the Oort Cloud 240,000 to 470,000 years from now. Now Mamajek and his colleagues say HIP 85605 won't come anywhere near that close.

link
"There are very few problems that cannot be solved by the suitable application of photon torpedoes
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Re: two stars passed within 1 lightyear of earth

Post by Flagg »

NEMESIS!
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

Though I'm not remotely mathematically inclined, it seems to me that a star traveling 19+ light years in just 70,000 years is moving pretty damn fast.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

A bit over 182,000 miles per hour. That's 3x faster than New Horizons.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Post by SpottedKitty »

Tribble wrote:Though I'm not remotely mathematically inclined, it seems to me that a star traveling 19+ light years in just 70,000 years is moving pretty damn fast.
Nowhere near the record-holders, though; the Wiki article on stellar Proper Motion includes info on a few nearby stars that are moving much faster than this one. The table about halfway down the page puts Barnard's Star at the top.
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

Borgholio wrote:A bit over 182,000 miles per hour. That's 3x faster than New Horizons.
Though it would be much less in practice, seeing both systems move directly away from each other.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Tribble wrote:Though I'm not remotely mathematically inclined, it seems to me that a star traveling 19+ light years in just 70,000 years is moving pretty damn fast.
Round it off. 20 light-years in 70000 years. By contrast, light would travel 70000 light-years in that time.

So this star is traveling 20 units of distance in the time light would cover 70000 units in.

Therefore the star is traveling at 1/3500 the speed of light. One percent is 1/100, and (1/100) times (1/35) is (1/3500).

So the star is traveling at 1/35 of one percent of light speed.

Light speed is 300 thousand kilometers in one second, so one percent of that is three thousand kilometers in one second.

So the star is traveling at 1/35 of three thousand kilometers in one second.

Three thousand divided by 35 is, uh... well, it'd be convenient if it were just 3000 divided by 30, because then the answer would be a hundred. But 35 is bigger than 30, so 3000/35 is less than 100.

So the star is traveling somewhat less (but not a lot less) than 100 kilometers per second.

[This is how my brain actually works]
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Zeropoint
Jedi Knight

Post by Zeropoint »

I'm not asserting that there's any connection, but it's interesting to note that the time of the stars passing Earth is within the window for the human population bottleneck.
I'm a cis-het white male, and I oppose racism, sexism, homophobia, and transphobia. I support treating all humans equally.

When fascism came to America, it was wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.

That which will not bend must break and that which can be destroyed by truth should never be spared its demise.
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

Zeropoint wrote:I'm not asserting that there's any connection, but it's interesting to note that the time of the stars passing Earth is within the window for the human population bottleneck.
?
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

70,000 years ago (give or take) humanity may have been reduced to as few as just a couple thousand people. Estimates from 5,000 to 10,000 are pretty common. A VERY small population, and thus, a genetic bottleneck that severely reduced human diversity for a time.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Post by SpottedKitty »

For another example, cheetahs have gone through a similar bottleneck; there is evidence that it was a lot more recent than 70,000 years ago. Natural mutation will slowly bring back diversity, but the trick is surviving long enough for that to happen. Cheetahs haven't got there yet, every one alive today is very closely related to every other one, over their entire natural range. This suggests they might have been reduced to a single breeding population, small enough to have smoothed out genetic diversity in only a few generations.
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Zeropoint wrote:I'm not asserting that there's any connection, but it's interesting to note that the time of the stars passing Earth is within the window for the human population bottleneck.
Well yes, but so is the Toba eruption, which happened roughly a billion times closer to the humans who were killed off to make the bottleneck possible.

So these stars have a much better alibi.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov