Direect Energy Transfer Calculation Help Needed (Spoilers)

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Direect Energy Transfer Calculation Help Needed (Spoilers)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

How much energy is needed to:

Small Arms:
Cook the local meat & bone, leaving a visible burn scar at point of impact and heating tissue above 100*c/212*f, for an area of about 5kg/10pounds of flesh

Heat the entire body so rapidly that a center torso impact cause the whole body to explode.

Anti-vehivle
Heat granite/ingious rock enough to shatter, leaving large boulders of a small mountain?

Thanks

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
The Yosemite Bear

oh the Spoiler Part

Hammer is now issuing 20mm heavy Pistols, and Sniper Rifles. One shot from a 20mm sniper rifle is sufficiant to totally destroy the main torso, and head along leaving boots and part of an arm. On a soldier wearing combat armor (Irridium lined).

I think they are doing a bit more damage then I recall them doing in "COunting the Cost"

The soldier in question was armed with a Railgun, not a buzzbomb or powergun either.
Last edited by The Yosemite Bear on 2002-08-26 01:56pm, edited 1 time in total.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Very hard to tell, but for the second one about 0.5 exajoules should do the trick no problem, depending on composition.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Zoink
Jedi Council Member

Re: Direect Energy Transfer Calculation Help Needed (Spoiler

Post by Zoink »

THe Yosemite Bear wrote: Heat the entire body so rapidly that a center torso impact cause the whole body to explode.
I've seen experiments done with molten aluminum and water. Basically, dropping a quantity of molten aluminum into a vat of water will cause the water to 'explosively' evaporate. The amount of aluminum will determine the size of the explosion. 'Cool' stuff :)

For your exploding person, I'd guess that maybe a kilogram of water, explosively vaporizing might sever the torso of a human. Which would take about 2 megajoules (I think).
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

I've seen experiments done with molten aluminum and water. Basically, dropping a quantity of molten aluminum into a vat of water will cause the water to 'explosively' evaporate. The amount of aluminum will determine the size of the explosion. 'Cool' stuff
*Nearest Blast Furnce and calcuates how quick he could get half a ton of molten aluminum there

The fun things you learn on this forum(From Explosive Tiped Arrows To Expolding Water the Circule is now complete)

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
The Yosemite Bear

This reminds me of something.

What if Starwars had been directed by Martin Scorsese.

Hmm, blasters exploding people's bodies, gratuitius head shots, oh and Robert DeNiro as Han Solo.