Turning shit into high quality H20 and cash

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

AMT
Jedi Knight

Turning shit into high quality H20 and cash

Post by AMT »

Pretty neat. While it's aimed at developing countries, I think something like this would also be exceedingly useful anywhere, once people could get past their squeamishness.

To expand out, this is a "janicki omni-processor" which is able to dry out sewage waste, clear out the water vapor and purify it to potable water, while also providing it's own electricity to run itself and also provide power to the grid, along with having presumably nutrient rich ash which can be further sold, though the details on that were pretty scant.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Re: Turning shit into high quality H20 and cash

Post by Borgholio »

As a matter of squeamishness, I freely admit I'll be hesitant to drink that water until I've seen firsthand the systems used to purify and sanitize the water. But as an idea, it's very neat and helps solve several problems at once. Electricity, water, fertilizer, and disposing of excess waste.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Run enough plumbing and you don't have to think about where it's coming from, just that you're getting it. You don't put much thought into where you get your water from when all you have to do is turn a tap and it comes out. If you're much more intimate with it on a regular basis though (pumping by hand, drawing a well bucket, etc), that may cause issues. Which could hinder this being used in some parts of the world-- "drink shit-water? Hell no, that's against my religion".
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Multiple places already use reverse osmosis for turning sewer water into drinking water, which is much cheaper then removing all the dissolved salt out of seawater. Trick is though they conventionally filter out the sludge first, and this concept is providing something to do with that semi solid waste too.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Zeropoint
Jedi Knight

Post by Zeropoint »

Meh. Every water molecule you drink has been urine many times over. High-temperature distillation is good enough for me.
I'm a cis-het white male, and I oppose racism, sexism, homophobia, and transphobia. I support treating all humans equally.

When fascism came to America, it was wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.

That which will not bend must break and that which can be destroyed by truth should never be spared its demise.
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

Borgholio wrote:As a matter of squeamishness, I freely admit I'll be hesitant to drink that water until I've seen firsthand the systems used to purify and sanitize the water.
If your water is taken from a river/lake, chances are very big there is sewage plant upstream of your water system intake that does just that, albeit in slower and a bit different process...
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Sure, I know intellectually that it's all the same in the long run. But "out of sight, out of mind" is the issue for me. Getting water out of my tap is different from opening a spigot 5 feet away from a conveyer belt of shit.
dragon
Sith Marauder

Post by dragon »

Good for space travel
"There are very few problems that cannot be solved by the suitable application of photon torpedoes
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

dragon wrote:Good for space travel
Except for the whole burning the waste into ash part. That wouldn't be smart on an enclosed spaceship.
dragon
Sith Marauder

Post by dragon »

Borgholio wrote:
dragon wrote:Good for space travel
Except for the whole burning the waste into ash part. That wouldn't be smart on an enclosed spaceship.
Easy have a separate and jettisonable compartment. Considering once we get into mining we'll have smelters on the stations
"There are very few problems that cannot be solved by the suitable application of photon torpedoes
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Easy have a separate and jettisonable compartment.
I was referring to the oxygen. Where are you going to get enough oxygen to feed the fires? You'd need a massive compartment the size of a building to have enough to burn a fire, and something the size of what we saw in the video would eat that up in no time.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Borgholio wrote:
Easy have a separate and jettisonable compartment.
I was referring to the oxygen. Where are you going to get enough oxygen to feed the fires? You'd need a massive compartment the size of a building to have enough to burn a fire, and something the size of what we saw in the video would eat that up in no time.
This would be ideal in a large facility with hydroponics to produce extra oxygen by processing carbon dioxide. You would need serious hydroponics though. You don't necessarily need a large compartment, use a direct feed of oxygen; the flame would be small but very hot.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

You would need serious hydroponics though.
Yeah really, since even a small flame can put out a lot of CO2.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

At least CO2 could probably be vented. Use it to help keep an inflatable dome up or something, I don't know. On a planet with atmosphere, if it's kinda cold, you could use it to induce an artificial greenhouse effect (looking at Mars).
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

An amazing invention. I hope it will reach many people that need it.

Drinking water that was poop/sewage a few minutes ago may sound awful, but in some places it is still miles better than drinking water that is still reasonably likely to have poop in it.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

AMT wrote:To expand out, this is a "janicki omni-processor" which is able to dry out sewage waste, clear out the water vapor and purify it to potable water, while also providing it's own electricity to run itself and also provide power to the grid, along with having presumably nutrient rich ash which can be further sold, though the details on that were pretty scant.
Well, yes, but now that I think about it, while water and electricity are useful, what they plan to do with ash? It can't be that rich in nutrients since most of the coal should be gone, meaning no organic compounds. And I wonder how they deal with the issue of pollution.

Hmm, now I am also curious if the machine is supposed to run continuously or in pulses (to take ash out and clean belt). How much energy and of what kind you need to restart it? Also, I wonder how long it would need to pay for itself and for how many people it is designed.

As for drinking the water, please. Poorer regions need water for farming, both crops and animals. I guess that usage would be more acceptable to squeamish people. This would also mean that people could keep drinking bad water out of prejudice. Hmm.
Zeropoint
Jedi Knight

Post by Zeropoint »

Well, yes, but now that I think about it, while water and electricity are useful, what they plan to do with ash?
The ash should be rich in the elements from organic material that aren't carbon, hydrogen, or oxygen. It can be mixed into the soil in crop fields to complete the cycle.
I'm a cis-het white male, and I oppose racism, sexism, homophobia, and transphobia. I support treating all humans equally.

That which will not bend must break and that which can be destroyed by truth should never be spared its demise.
biostem
Jedi Master

Post by biostem »

Take the poo, run it through a press to extract the water, distill that through something as simple as a solar still, and you're good to go. Alternatively, you can use a solar-powered UV lamp to sanitize the water, after it's been run through some conventional filters to get rid of particulates.

AFAIK, the biggest issue in developing countries is getting a reliable power source to run the filtration machinery, so simple, efficient, solar or wind powered devices are the way to go.
Zeropoint
Jedi Knight

Post by Zeropoint »

Well, it sounded like this thing can burn the poo to power itself, while producing surplus power. If so, that pretty much solves your power source problem.

Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Zeropoint wrote:Well, it sounded like this thing can burn the poo to power itself, while producing surplus power. If so, that pretty much solves your power source problem.
Indeed, because we all know how full of shit the human race is. :)
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

ugh. been a while since ive done thí, but i think a press can only get you to 20-30% water content by weight.
Shit burning needs a lower water content unless you cheat and mix diesesel in, ỏ use powered dryers like they have.

If i was told true, there's treatement centers in the uk that is just stockpiling the shitcake, waiting for permission to be able to spread it on the countryside. Isue with that, and potentially the ash from thís process, ís the relatively higher amount ò heavy metals. Not critical to start with, but you can't keep adding it to the same lànd year after year.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee