2014 officially warmest year in scientific records

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Re: 2014 officially warmest year in scientific records

Post by Irbis »

NoXion wrote:Not just a river in Egypt

I'm not completely au fait with the science of climate change, but I'm fairly sure the linked article is bullshit.
If the best idiot deniers can manage is 'maybe it was just in top 3 of warmest years, all of which occurred in last ten years, instead of warmest year' then yeah, it's BS. Even their ending remark on economic growth is stupid - if you click on it, you will find that energy prices rise due to long neglected infrastructure needing funding.

Though, they do manage (by accident) to nail one small point, namely that "free" renewables end up racking enormous bill in externalities and investing in them is rather stupid, especially in country as far north as UK is.
jwl
Jedi Master

Post by jwl »

NoXion wrote:Not just a river in Egypt

I'm not completely au fait with the science of climate change, but I'm fairly sure the linked article is bullshit.
The article is obviously highly agenda-driven, but the main thrust of it (that 2014 is not necessarily the absolute warmest year since 1850 because the error bars are too large) is true; and you could probably say that for more than the three years they mention. Of course you could say the same for most of the "warmest years on record" since 1850, of which there have been quite a few, since the record keeps getting broken.
jwl
Jedi Master

Post by jwl »

Here is a much better article on the matter:
http://dotearth.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/ ... ange/?_r=0