Table-top 'mini-LHC' ramps up to record energy

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

jwl
Jedi Master

Table-top 'mini-LHC' ramps up to record energy

Post by jwl »

TABLE-TOP particle accelerators can now rival the real thing. A laser-powered device just centimetres long can boost electrons to energies previously seen only in giant smashers.

The world's biggest accelerator, the Large Hadron Collider at CERN near Geneva, Switzerland, is a 27-kilometre ring that next year will slam particles together at energies of 13 teraelectronvolts (see "2015 Preview: Rebooting the particle smasher"). But even standard-size facilities require tunnels hundreds of metres long to reach gigaelectronvolt (GeV) energies.

Physicists have been working to develop accelerators that could run on an ordinary lab bench. Now Wim Leemans of the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory in California and his colleagues have got particles in their 9-centimetre-long device up to 4.2 GeV (Physical Review Letters, doi.org/xpr).

The trick is to use a high-powered laser pulse to create waves in a plasma, which electrons can ride like surfers. The team were able to better control their waves than in previous table-top accelerators, letting them build a longer tube and thus reach higher energies. More advanced lasers are needed to sustain the pulses before big facilities can be replaced, says Leemans.
http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg2 ... VJQEt14gKA
Paper:
ABSTRACT
Multi-GeV electron beams with energy up to 4.2 GeV, 6% rms energy spread, 6 pC charge, and 0.3 mrad rms divergence have been produced from a 9-cm-long capillary discharge waveguide with a plasma density of ≈7×1017  cm−3, powered by laser pulses with peak power up to 0.3 PW. Preformed plasma waveguides allow the use of lower laser power compared to unguided plasma structures to achieve the same electron beam energy. A detailed comparison between experiment and simulation indicates the sensitivity in this regime of the guiding and acceleration in the plasma structure to input intensity, density, and near-field laser mode profile.
http://dx.doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevLett.113.245002
No preprint I think, unfortunately.
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Re: Table-top 'mini-LHC' ramps up to record energy

Post by LaCroix »

Cool!

So, knowing how minds work - how long until we'll see a first prototype of a weaponized particle accelerator? :roll:

I know, a single particle with 4GeV would be a 10-10 Joule, but once you use it to send a mol of something downrange, it would add up, I guess.
I just don't know how much range such a particle beam would have.
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

LaCroix wrote:Cool!

So, knowing how minds work - how long until we'll see a first prototype of a weaponized particle accelerator? :roll:

I know, a single particle with 4GeV would be a 10-10 Joule, but once you use it to send a mol of something downrange, it would add up, I guess.
6.002x10^13 joules, in point of fact
6.002x10^10 kilojoules'
6.002x10^7 megajoules
6.002x10^4 gigajoules
or
60.02 Terajoules. Or... Hiroshima.

As for range, the energy would drop off with beam scattering as particles collide with other particles. Some application of the N^2 law would apply, but I dont know the coefficient.
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

Alyrium Denryle wrote:

6.002x10^10 kilojoules'
6.002x10^7 megajoules
6.002x10^4 gigajoules
or

As for range, the energy would drop off with beam scattering as particles collide with other particles. Some application of the N^2 law would apply, but I dont know the coefficient.
Wowzers... With that kind of energy burning a path through atmosphere, it'd be a quite visible effect. I'd guess it would look like lightning, right?
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

NoXion
Padawan Learner

Post by NoXion »

Rather than weapons, I was thinking what we might be able to discover if we could combine the power of these new accelerators with the size of the old facilities. Enough perhaps to reach the energies needed to experimentally test things like string theory?
Does it follow that I reject all authority? Perish the thought. In the matter of boots, I defer to the authority of the boot-maker - Mikhail Bakunin
Capital is reckless of the health or length of life of the laborer, unless under compulsion from society - Karl Marx
Pollution is nothing but the resources we are not harvesting. We allow them to disperse because we've been ignorant of their value - R. Buckminster Fuller
The important thing is not to be human but to be humane - Eliezer S. Yudkowsky

Nova Mundi, my laughable attempt at an original worldbuilding/gameplay project
jwl
Jedi Master

Post by jwl »

LaCroix wrote: Wowzers... With that kind of energy burning a path through atmosphere, it'd be a quite visible effect. I'd guess it would look like lightning, right?
Something like a cosmic ray I imagine.

(Obviously the earth bit is superimposed, but the cosmic rays were probably taken with a gamma telescope or simulated).
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

NoXion wrote:Rather than weapons, I was thinking what we might be able to discover if we could combine the power of these new accelerators with the size of the old facilities. Enough perhaps to reach the energies needed to experimentally test things like string theory?
It's kind of like asking 'what if we made a bike the size of train'. It would be pointless because the shape is dictated by outside factors and would do little applied to another device.

I guess we can make lasers powerful enough to eventually replicate LHC, but LHC features controlled collisions where we want them. Laser device seems to function like a bomb - detonate target and hope it will do something useful. I am not even sure if higher energy laser won't simply produce too many too energetic random collisions blinding detectors.
LaCroix wrote:So, knowing how minds work - how long until we'll see a first prototype of a weaponized particle accelerator? :roll:
Why bother?

Laser they used for it will be much easier to weaponize, smaller, and easier to use than the whole device. While "electron ray gun" sounds cool, beta particles can be probably easily stopped by ceramic or aluminium plates in normal ballistic vest, unless unusually energetic.
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

Irbis wrote:
LaCroix wrote:So, knowing how minds work - how long until we'll see a first prototype of a weaponized particle accelerator? :roll:
Why bother?

Laser they used for it will be much easier to weaponize, smaller, and easier to use than the whole device. While "electron ray gun" sounds cool, beta particles can be probably easily stopped by ceramic or aluminium plates in normal ballistic vest, unless unusually energetic.
Rule of cool. We are a sci-fi forum, after all...

First, I wasn't aware if a particle beam would fare better or worse in atmosphere than a laser would.
And second, didn't somebody mention (again and again) that a particle beam hitting a solid object doesn't necessarily need to penetrate the target, but still would be very, very bad just due to ionization?

Executor32
Jedi Council Member
Location: In a Georgia courtroom, watching a spectacle unfold

Post by Executor32 »

LaCroix wrote:
Alyrium Denryle wrote:

6.002x10^10 kilojoules'
6.002x10^7 megajoules
6.002x10^4 gigajoules
or

Wowzers... With that kind of energy burning a path through atmosphere, it'd be a quite visible effect. I'd guess it would look like lightning, right?
Perhaps a little something like this?

I mean, when I see the words 'weaponized particle accelerator', thats the first thing I think of. ;)
どうして?お前が夜に自身お触れるから。
Long ago in a distant land, I, Aku, the shape-shifting Master of Darkness, unleashed an unspeakable evil,
but a foolish samurai warrior wielding a magic sword stepped forth to oppose me. Before the final blow
was struck, I tore open a portal in time and flung him into the future, where my evil is law! Now, the fool
seeks to return to the past, and undo the future that is Aku...
-Aku, Master of Masters, Deliverer of Darkness, Shogun of Sorrow
Sky Captain
Jedi Master

Post by Sky Captain »

My guess is particle beam weapon would be of very short effective range when used inside atmosphere. At least to a laser light of right frequency atmosphere is more or less transparent while particles from particle beam weapon would immediately start colliding with air molecules and scatter degrading the beam quality very quickly. IIRC all real proposals for particle beam weapons were for use in vacuum to fry electronics of incoming enemy ICBM warheads
NoXion
Padawan Learner

Post by NoXion »

Irbis wrote:It's kind of like asking 'what if we made a bike the size of train'. It would be pointless because the shape is dictated by outside factors and would do little applied to another device.
What are these unspecified "outside factors"? I thought we were talking about accelerating particles here, objects rather unlike bikes and trains, which are macroscopic and capable of accelerating under their own power. So I don't understand the analogy you're making here.
I guess we can make lasers powerful enough to eventually replicate LHC, but LHC features controlled collisions where we want them. Laser device seems to function like a bomb - detonate target and hope it will do something useful. I am not even sure if higher energy laser won't simply produce too many too energetic random collisions blinding detectors.
Lasers are nothing like bombs. For a start, the energy in a laser travels in one direction, unlike a bomb which disperses energy in all directions.
Does it follow that I reject all authority? Perish the thought. In the matter of boots, I defer to the authority of the boot-maker - Mikhail Bakunin
Capital is reckless of the health or length of life of the laborer, unless under compulsion from society - Karl Marx
Pollution is nothing but the resources we are not harvesting. We allow them to disperse because we've been ignorant of their value - R. Buckminster Fuller
The important thing is not to be human but to be humane - Eliezer S. Yudkowsky

Nova Mundi, my laughable attempt at an original worldbuilding/gameplay project
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

LaCroix wrote: Rule of cool. We are a sci-fi forum, after all...

First, I wasn't aware if a particle beam would fare better or worse in atmosphere than a laser would.
And second, didn't somebody mention (again and again) that a particle beam hitting a solid object doesn't necessarily need to penetrate the target, but still would be very, very bad just due to ionization?
Most forms of particle beam are completely useless in the atmosphere, though they have great long term promise as space to space weapons. A weaponized particle accelerator is more or less what a free electron laser is though. The biggest advantage is not in raw power or penetrating power, but rather the ability of the particle accelerator to adjust its beam form in real time to compensate for atmospheric effects, providing far higher effective ranges at high power. Also a single particle accelerator could be piped to multiple beam directors in principle.

For the moment we could expect a FEL to deliver a lot more raw power then any other form of electrically powered laser, and on par with chemically powered lasers, but that's an advantage that probably won't be true by the time a FEL could be ready for field service in the 2020s or later. The tuning ability though just can't be done in other forms of lasers.

Downside is all particle accelerator tech as we know it requires supercooling, supercooling that takes ~ 2 days to be effective from room temp. That isn't as big a deal for space where the refrigeration cost is trivial, but on a ship or land based system it means if you have to turn the sucker off to maintain it or save energy you aren't getting it back online quickly.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

NoXion wrote:
Irbis wrote:It's kind of like asking 'what if we made a bike the size of train'. It would be pointless because the shape is dictated by outside factors and would do little applied to another device.
What are these unspecified "outside factors"? I thought we were talking about accelerating particles here, objects rather unlike bikes and trains, which are macroscopic and capable of accelerating under their own power. So I don't understand the analogy you're making here.
The most likely explanation is that Irbis thinks there is some aspect to the laser-plasma acccelerator that would not scale well.

Bicycles are the size they are because they are vehicles designed to carry one person (or maybe two or three), designed to be pedaled by humans. If you made one the size of a train then either it wouldn't be safe, or it wouldn't go anywhere, or it wouldn't be recognizable as anything like a bicycle. Or some combination of the above.

So Irbis is probably arguing that elements of the laser-pumped plasma system would not work well if scaled up to weapon-level energies. I imagine so, anyway; otherwise his argument doesn't make much sense.

Whether he is right or wrong, I could not say.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
jwl
Jedi Master

Post by jwl »

Irbis wrote: Laser device seems to function like a bomb - detonate target and hope it will do something useful. I am not even sure if higher energy laser won't simply produce too many too energetic random collisions blinding detectors.
Isn't it exactly the same with the LHC, since they use protons rather than electrons and thus get a ton of random useless stuff when they collide?
I think 4.2 GeV counts as "unusually energetic". That's 4-5 times the mass energy of a proton. In an electron.
LaCroix wrote: And second, didn't somebody mention (again and again) that a particle beam hitting a solid object doesn't necessarily need to penetrate the target, but still would be very, very bad just due to ionization?
I dunno about ionization, but regardless of whether it penetrates anywhere, the you're going to get a ton of X-rays due to relativistic bremsstrahlung, and that's going to penetrate stuff.
Simon_Jester wrote: Bicycles are the size they are because they are vehicles designed to carry one person (or maybe two or three), designed to be pedaled by humans. If you made one the size of a train then either it wouldn't be safe, or it wouldn't go anywhere, or it wouldn't be recognizable as anything like a bicycle. Or some combination of the above.

So Irbis is probably arguing that elements of the laser-pumped plasma system would not work well if scaled up to weapon-level energies. I imagine so, anyway; otherwise his argument doesn't make much sense.

Whether he is right or wrong, I could not say.
In the new scientist article above, it says:
The trick is to use a high-powered laser pulse to create waves in a plasma, which electrons can ride like surfers. The team were able to better control their waves than in previous table-top accelerators, letting them build a longer tube and thus reach higher energies.
So yeah, there are difficulties with scaling it up.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

jwl wrote:
Irbis wrote: Laser device seems to function like a bomb - detonate target and hope it will do something useful. I am not even sure if higher energy laser won't simply produce too many too energetic random collisions blinding detectors.
Isn't it exactly the same with the LHC, since they use protons rather than electrons and thus get a ton of random useless stuff when they collide?
Uh, you get random useless stuff either way. The main difference is that in a conventional accelerator you have quite precise control over the exact energies involved and precisely where the beam goes. Decreasing this control has drawbacks.
I think 4.2 GeV counts as "unusually energetic". That's 4-5 times the mass energy of a proton. In an electron.[/quote]Extremely high energy beta particles like this are a few orders of magnitude more energetic than the ones normally released by nuclear decay processes, so there's that.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov